MegNeg

PB Forum :: SRAM
MegNeg
Posted: May 7, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
Just got my MegNeg for my Evil Calling. I'm 6'3 / 210lbs. Will post results once I get in installed/log some riding time.

Question: Anyone have any major issues getting the old can off of a Rockshox Super Deluxe RC3?

Every installation video shows the use of a rubber strap wrench and vise to remove. They all come off easy. I've tried the same method and for the love of me, it will not budge. Air is out. Removed air valve. Anyone have this issue?

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 9:14 Quote
CaptainMurica wrote:
Just got my MegNeg for my Evil Calling. I'm 6'3 / 210lbs. Will post results once I get in installed/log some riding time.

Question: Anyone have any major issues getting the old can off of a Rockshox Super Deluxe RC3?

Every installation video shows the use of a rubber strap wrench and vise to remove. They all come off easy. I've tried the same method and for the love of me, it will not budge. Air is out. Removed air valve. Anyone have this issue?

I had this issue on my deluxe. It was ridiculous. Two shops couldn't get it off. I covered the can in 5 laps of electric tape and covered my vice and the mounting points that go into the vice in electric tape as well. Clamped it in the vice and used a pipe wrench. That's the only thing that worked.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 12:09 Quote
I had my can quite tight also, used old inner tube and managed to twist it open.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 14:06 Quote
First ride on the MN -seems really supple.

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 10:11 Quote
arweatherby wrote:
CaptainMurica wrote:

I had this issue on my deluxe. It was ridiculous. Two shops couldn't get it off. I covered the can in 5 laps of electric tape and covered my vice and the mounting points that go into the vice in electric tape as well. Clamped it in the vice and used a pipe wrench. That's the only thing that worked.

Holy crap. Yep thats where I was going next! Well its good to know I'm not the only one with the problem. Every how-to video made it look like you could basically unscrew it with your hand everytime.

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 11:19 Quote
CaptainMurica wrote:
arweatherby wrote:
CaptainMurica wrote:

Holy crap. Yep thats where I was going next! Well its good to know I'm not the only one with the problem. Every how-to video made it look like you could basically unscrew it with your hand everytime.

Word of advice, electric tape is your friend. Use lots. A little tap on the pipe wrench with a hammer may help if you can't get it by hand.

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 0:18 Quote
How would a megneg work on a Canyon Spectral with a deluxe shock? Anyone tried it?

Can't find any information about how progressive the suspension is currently

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 0:32 Quote
It's quite progressive for its category. I'm almost always a proponent of larger negative springs; in this case, you would probably want to use no reducers in the positive spring.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 3:40 Quote
sim2390 wrote:
How would a megneg work on a Canyon Spectral with a deluxe shock? Anyone tried it?

Can't find any information about how progressive the suspension is currently

It depends. The Spectral's very progressive, if you're not able to use at least 75-80% of the available travel, you may find that the MegNeg could be excessive (you won't be able to use most of the available travel).

We have one rider on a MegNeg on a 2018 Spectral, and so far it's not doing so well. Even with a much deeper sag (40%), the progressiveness of the bike is too much. He's 175lbs fully geared.

What's good about the Spectral is it's a good candidate for a coil shock.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 6:59 Quote
A-M-R wrote:
Thank you both.

Will go and try some different options and let you know where I get to.

Summary of current status:

- nice soft feel of the top to sag. Good at smoothing out trail when seated pedalling over smaller bumps

- good mid stroke support to pedal against and to pump and jump.

- using almost all travel

- but seems a little harsh when hitting larger trail obstacles. Could be the extra mid stroke support.

Will change one thing at a time and see how I get on.

@A-M-R How did you get on in the end, have you cracked the MegNeg puzzle? What sag and set up are you running?

I'm a bit heavier at 185lb and seem to struggle getting sag set to 30% with anything less than 260psi.

Current set up is 260psi, 1 token, 2x bands, 3 clicks from fast on rebound, 4 clicks from - compression. It feels chattery at speed over the rough stuff. Swoopy flowing trails are mint, drops and jumps are ok and not getting bottom out, but does feel a little harsh on ramp up. The red O ring is about 2-3mm off the end.

I just dream of the plushness I had with the X2 on my old Nomad v3

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 7:44 Quote
Carlos-27 wrote:
A-M-R wrote:
Thank you both.

Will go and try some different options and let you know where I get to.

Summary of current status:

- nice soft feel of the top to sag. Good at smoothing out trail when seated pedalling over smaller bumps

- good mid stroke support to pedal against and to pump and jump.

- using almost all travel

- but seems a little harsh when hitting larger trail obstacles. Could be the extra mid stroke support.

Will change one thing at a time and see how I get on.

@A-M-R How did you get on in the end, have you cracked the MegNeg puzzle? What sag and set up are you running?

I'm a bit heavier at 185lb and seem to struggle getting sag set to 30% with anything less than 260psi.

Current set up is 260psi, 1 token, 2x bands, 3 clicks from fast on rebound, 4 clicks from - compression. It feels chattery at speed over the rough stuff. Swoopy flowing trails are mint, drops and jumps are ok and not getting bottom out, but does feel a little harsh on ramp up. The red O ring is about 2-3mm off the end.

I just dream of the plushness I had with the X2 on my old Nomad v3

I'm basically the same weight. Run no tokens, 2 bands and 270 psi. I think it works really well. But I am on a Trek Slash with the thru shaft shock

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 10:59 Quote
205lbs (without kit), im running a Deluxe shock on my Murmur no bands, 4.5 tokens, no comp damping, 260psi for about 30% sag. Feels a lot more lively than w/o the MN.

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
I didn't alter anything else for today's ride, but I did add other 2 clicks from fast of Rebound today and felt better. Going to leave it like that for a couple of rides before doing anything else.

Chattery feeling was less with plenty of pop off jumps and humps. Overall feeling was more planted

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 2:51 Quote
Right then, a bit of an update.

82kg (180lb) kitted up

Bronson V3 with the Super Deluxe shock

260psi - 30-32% sag
2x tokens in positive side
2x bands in negative side
2x clicks from minus of LSC
5x clicks from the Hare (full fast) rebound

Bike felt totally different and I put that down to the 2nd token and because of that, its riding a bit higher in the stroke. Felt much more planted and compliant over the rough stuff, rocks, roots etc.. but still play full with pop off jumps, roots and anything else you can boost off.

Small bump compliance was also very good, as is the mid stroke support. Biggest drop yesterday was only 4ft which pushed the shock O-ring to 3-4mm off the very end so happy with that too.

Its not quite the X2 I had on the Nomad, but its not far off at all

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 10:13 Quote
I am looking for advice for my Giant Reign 29 2 with a Deluxe Select + Shock. The Reign 29 is stated to have a 16.6% progression curve and I don’t know if that makes it a good candidate. Also, is this shock even worth getting a MegNeg for if I can’t dial in compression? Basically, I can’t afford an X2 that comes stock on the more expensive models, so I’m trying to see if a MegNeg is a cheaper way to add negative volume for more support and perhaps an even plusher starting stroke.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005937
Mobile Version of Website