MegNeg

PB Forum :: SRAM
MegNeg
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 20:40 Quote
I thought I read some where it was more for bikes with a linear leverage ratio? I'm thinking about adding a megneg in my Intense Carbine but the L/R is already very progressive.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 6:41 Quote
Any suggestions for a setup (Bands in the megneg and token in the +) at the bronson v3?

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 15:10 Quote
BrianRichards wrote:
BrianRichards wrote:
i just put on mine and am going to test ride it this aftenoon. will report back

so i only got a short 5km ride on pretty mild trail, but it made a huge difference, off the top it was way smoother i had to check that my tyre wasnt flat it was so smooth, and on big hits i was only using 80% of the travel instead of 100%, i had the sag at the same point as before as the leverage ratio of my slash is quite progressive (so i have heard) so i think i will run a bit more sag (30% instead of 26%).

to describe the difference between my deluxe air spring and the meg neg would be that the deluxe air can felt like and older fox 32 where it would blow through the travel and be too stiff if you want it to stay up whereas now the rear matches my fox 36 in its air spring characteristics, a lot of support from the 2nd third of the travel onwards, i will need more time on it to draw a final conclusion

Do you have any further thoughts on the MegNeg air can? I just ordered one for my Slash and was curious if you had any tuning tips.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 16:32 Quote
@Ccouch. I now have 0 bands in the megneg can and zero volume reducers in the main air can and it is pretty good. Just doing a drop test in the garage, the rear is initially plusher. It is is closer to a coil feel than stock and It does track good now the way I have it setup. Running 190psi, I weigh 150. Was running 152psi with the stock can.The stock debonair air can worked very good on my Commencal AM29. At this point I do think this is a bit better. SRAM says this isn’t going to work better on all bikes and has taken me some time to get it setup the way I like it. It says in the megneg setup guide that with the megneg with all 4 bands, is like 64% more negative than stock. I didn’t find that at all. With all 4 bands, it was way firmer than my stock can. Really don’t how it would work for your bike.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 18:00 Quote
wrote:
Quote="Ccouch5859"]
BrianRichards wrote:
BrianRichards wrote:

so i only got a short 5km ride on pretty mild trail, but it made a huge difference, off the top it was way smoother i had to check that my tyre wasnt flat it was so smooth, and on big hits i was only using 80% of the travel instead of 100%, i had the sag at the same point as before as the leverage ratio of my slash is quite progressive (so i have heard) so i think i will run a bit more sag (30% instead of 26%).

to describe the difference between my deluxe air spring and the meg neg would be that the deluxe air can felt like and older fox 32 where it would blow through the travel and be too stiff if you want it to stay up whereas now the rear matches my fox 36 in its air spring characteristics, a lot of support from the 2nd third of the travel onwards, i will need more time on it to draw a final conclusion

Do you have any further thoughts on the MegNeg air can? I just ordered one for my Slash and was curious if you had any tuning tips.

i just have two bands in and i have found that you will want to run about 29% sag with one volume spacer. that works for me i only bottomed out on a 9ft huck to flat

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 23:26 Quote
Does anyone have a link to the English version of install manual, I can only find German/French and Spanish ????????

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
philstraker wrote:
Does anyone have a link to the English version of install manual, I can only find German/French and Spanish ????????

i had to use google translate

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 18:51 Quote
[Quote="BrianRichards"]
philstraker wrote:

i had to use google translate[/Quote

Thanks mate I’ll give it a try

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 8:53 Quote
Here's the link to the manual in English: https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen000000005990_rev_a_megneg_upgrade_kit.pdf
Hope this helps!

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 8:55 Quote
philstraker wrote:

Here's the link to the manual in English: https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen000000005990_rev_a_megneg_upgrade_kit.pdf
Hope this helps!

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 21:24 Quote
BrianRichards wrote:

I know who you are "Brian Richards"!

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 2:04 Quote
Bike: 2018 Trek Remedy 9.8
Shock: Trek/Rockshox Deluxe Thru Shaft
Shock pressure: 168 psi
Tokens: 1
My weight: 168lbs no gear
My height: 66"
Tuning Preference: Planted

I was a little skeptical about this change but haven't tested it on the trails yet.

First off, the manual suggests using 2 bands, I currently use 4. I noticed immediately that I couldn't push through the mid stroke with less bands no matter how much I mashed on the pedals while not moving. Adding bands allowed me to have a larger range of mid stroke travel.

Right now I'm using 0 tokens and 4 bands. It feels "ok" and although I normally need 168psi to achieve 32% sag, I now need 201 (200psi is good enough) to achieve the same sag as before with the MegNeg. The manual clearly states to remove 1-2 tokens and add 20% more pressure so it seems to add up.

The Remedy is a moderately progressive design, and SRAM says the more progressive the geometry, you may not be able to use the full travel, but I haven't tested this yet.

What I also noticed is the rebound adjustment range has moved up, meaning where I used to use 3-4 clicks from full open, now it seems like 1-2 would be enough.

I'll update after I ride this on the trails.

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 6:58 Quote
XDeltaFactor wrote:

I was a little skeptical about this change but haven't tested it on the trails yet.

First off, the manual suggests using 2 bands, I currently use 4. I noticed immediately that I couldn't push through the mid stroke with less bands no matter how much I mashed on the pedals while not moving. Adding bands allowed me to have a larger range of mid stroke travel.

Right now I'm using 0 tokens and 4 bands. It feels "ok" and although I normally need 168psi to achieve 32% sag, I now need 201 (200psi is good enough) to achieve the same sag as before with the MegNeg. The manual clearly states to remove 1-2 tokens and add 20% more pressure so it seems to add up.

The Remedy is a moderately progressive design, and SRAM says the more progressive the geometry, you may not be able to use the full travel, but I haven't tested this yet.

What I also noticed is the rebound adjustment range has moved up, meaning where I used to use 3-4 clicks from full open, now it seems like 1-2 would be enough.

I’m running the Megneg on a 2018 Slash and I ended up at 4 bands and 0 tokens. My issue with running less bands is the air required to get the sag I want. At 225lbs I’m running somewhere above 300 psi to get 32% sag(my shock pump only reads up to 300)

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 17:08 Quote
Ccouch5859 wrote:
XDeltaFactor wrote:

I’m running the Megneg on a 2018 Slash and I ended up at 4 bands and 0 tokens. My issue with running less bands is the air required to get the sag I want. At 225lbs I’m running somewhere above 300 psi to get 32% sag(my shock pump only reads up to 300)

How do you like those settings?

I just got done riding and my impressions are...

1. The rear sits higher in the travel on average, whereas the OEM Trek Thru Shaft with stock can (32% sag) seems to sit lower in the travel.

2. On moderate riding with roots/rocks, it's not easy to use all the travel available, whereas it wasn't "hard" to force the old setup to use nearly all 57.5mm of rear travel.

3. It's definitely more supportive in the mid stroke without feeling like you hit a hard, rigid point in the travel. It feels plush and very springy and it's easy to push on the berms with the feeling like you're getting catapulted on the corner exit.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008221
Mobile Version of Website