MegNeg

PB Forum :: SRAM
MegNeg
O+
Posted: May 2, 2022 at 18:06 Quote
This thread has been great to read through, but I have a question as I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to suspension. I need to add some tokens to my Superdeluxe, I keep bottoming it out way too easily, even preloading on the face of a jump. Currently set at 26% sag on my Sentinel V2, I'm about 165-170# riding weight. Was going to add a token or two to see how that felt, but should I just go for the MegNeg instead? Sounds like that should add some bottom out support, right? I feel like I could use more small bump sensitivity and mid-stroke support, so seems like a win-win to just get the MegNeg.

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 20:52 Quote
jmscheib wrote:
This thread has been great to read through, but I have a question as I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to suspension. I need to add some tokens to my Superdeluxe, I keep bottoming it out way too easily, even preloading on the face of a jump. Currently set at 26% sag on my Sentinel V2, I'm about 165-170# riding weight. Was going to add a token or two to see how that felt, but should I just go for the MegNeg instead? Sounds like that should add some bottom out support, right? I feel like I could use more small bump sensitivity and mid-stroke support, so seems like a win-win to just get the MegNeg.

funny coincidence, I'm the same weight on the same bike, currently at ~28% sag with 135 psi (on a cascade link). Recently went from gnar+1 to gnar+2 tokens and I think the extra bottom out support definitely made things feel better.

Pretty happy with this setup, but I actually bought a megneg yesterday to try out. I remember on my old Bronson it made a huge difference. Hoping to get to 30% sag while keeping the same midstroke support - will try to report back

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 23:51 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:
very accurately put by RMR above. I got megneg on my santa cruz MT.

old setup:
- 0 spacers
- 170 psi
- 75kg rider
- 30% sag

new
- 0 spacers
- 2 minus chamber bands
- 200 psi
- 30% sag

I wanted more mid and end support. Going via the traditional route (pos chamber spacers) I would not get the mid support, but megneg just gave me what I wanted. Great product for MT in my case. Off the top the sensitivity feels about the same old vs new but I get more support.

Hi you probably don’t even have this bike any more but just wondering if you can remember what settings you we’re running as in rebound and lsc I’m same weight as you and also have Megneg. Thanks

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 1:14 Quote
Anyone got any feedback on the megneg on a giant trance at all looking for improvements...

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 6:58 Quote
jmscheib wrote:

I’ve got a spire which without looking I assume isn’t far away from the sentinel. Megneg allowed me to remove my 2.5+2 bottom out tokens and gave the mid stroke I felt the bike lacked. Abit more suppleness off the top too which was another of the complaints I had with the initial part of the travel.

Settled on

82kg
210psi
2 positive tokens
0 negative bands

Bike seems to ride much better for me like that. May experiment with negative bands but for now I’m really happy. Hope this helps

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 1:41 Quote
I just installed the megneg on my 2020 Meta am 29. Sram say to add 20% more pressure than previously. Do i set sag and then add gthe 20% more, or just set sag as normal?

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 6:41 Quote
wbro1974 wrote:
I just installed the megneg on my 2020 Meta am 29. Sram say to add 20% more pressure than previously. Do i set sag and then add gthe 20% more, or just set sag as normal?

set sag as normal- it will likely take 20% more pressure to get normal sag.

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 6:54 Quote
dcamp2 wrote:
wbro1974 wrote:

set sag as normal- it will likely take 20% more pressure to get normal sag.

Much obliged Wink

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 8:48 Quote
So I am about to take parts from my current bike and throw them on a new build. I'm looking st a guerilla gravity megatrail and I was wondering what everyones thoughts would be sticking a megneg on that? My shock aleasdy has it but maybe not worth having on that bike. Any reason I shouldn't use it? Thanks yall

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 18:30 Quote
4xv1973
I am running one on a 2018 Trance. Could not be happier!
As has been suggested, start with 0 bands/0 tokens and go from there.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 20:10 Quote
olslash wrote:
Pretty happy with this setup, but I actually bought a megneg yesterday to try out. I remember on my old Bronson it made a huge difference. Hoping to get to 30% sag while keeping the same midstroke support - will try to report back

Just to update, I've settled on 4 neg bands and gnar+1 tokens (took one out), with ~30psi more air, and I'm pretty happy with it. Fewer bands made the bike a bit too firm in the rear -- it's already fairly progressive with the cascade link so I think this makes sense.

My basic understanding of megneg tuning is that the increased negative volume basically just lets you run more PSI at the same sag, which increases your spring rate and thus midstroke support.

So at some point I'd like to try the other extreme of fewer bands and no tokens, but for now I'm happy enough with it

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 10:23 Quote
Got a Megneg for my Radon Slide Trail 8.0 (cookie cutter German horst link frame) with a Deluxe Select+ rear shock.
With the stock air can I was at 165psi with 2 volume reducers, which gave me 30% sag. With the Megneg I started with 1 negative band, 0 volume reducers, 200psi which also gave me 30% sag. This setup felt awesome on jumps and smooth trails, but on rocky trails (which I love the most) the rear of the bike felt too harsh.
I just added 2 negative bands (so 3 in total) and planned to go down to 190psi, but out of curiosity I pumped up the shock to 200psi again (same pump) and i'm still sitting at 30% sag. Is that supposed to be normal? I thought with the same pressure and more negative bands, the shock would sag much less?

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 14:51 Quote
HollyBoni wrote:
Got a Megneg for my Radon Slide Trail 8.0 (cookie cutter German horst link frame) with a Deluxe Select+ rear shock.
With the stock air can I was at 165psi with 2 volume reducers, which gave me 30% sag. With the Megneg I started with 1 negative band, 0 volume reducers, 200psi which also gave me 30% sag. This setup felt awesome on jumps and smooth trails, but on rocky trails (which I love the most) the rear of the bike felt too harsh.
I just added 2 negative bands (so 3 in total) and planned to go down to 190psi, but out of curiosity I pumped up the shock to 200psi again (same pump) and i'm still sitting at 30% sag. Is that supposed to be normal? I thought with the same pressure and more negative bands, the shock would sag much less?

someone will correct me or provide more info here, but the megneg is known to "force" around 30% sag, and I believe it's because of the changed position of the air chamber equalization port to nearer that point in the stroke. I've experienced the same thing as you and have basically stopped using sag as a tuning input with it.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 0:41 Quote
olslash wrote:

someone will correct me or provide more info here, but the megneg is known to "force" around 30% sag, and I believe it's because of the changed position of the air chamber equalization port to nearer that point in the stroke. I've experienced the same thing as you and have basically stopped using sag as a tuning input with it.

Hmm, that's interesting, so then what's really the point of adjusting the negative chamber?

Maybe i'm not understanding this whole thing correctly... I thought you set it up by adjusting the air pressure, which dictates how mostly the mid stroke and a bit of the end stroke feels, and when you arrive at an air pressure that you like, then you play with the negative spacers until you achieve the sag you want without touching the air pressure.
Or do I have it completely wrong?

I don't care about sag that much either, but in the rear i'd like to have it at least in a ballpark for pedalling position and performance.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 1:46 Quote
HollyBoni wrote:
olslash wrote:

Hmm, that's interesting, so then what's really the point of adjusting the negative chamber?

Maybe i'm not understanding this whole thing correctly... I thought you set it up by adjusting the air pressure, which dictates how mostly the mid stroke and a bit of the end stroke feels, and when you arrive at an air pressure that you like, then you play with the negative spacers until you achieve the sag you want without touching the air pressure.
Or do I have it completely wrong?

I don't care about sag that much either, but in the rear i'd like to have it at least in a ballpark for pedalling position and performance.

that sounds like a reasonable way to do it to me. you can of course go for more sag than that force point by using less pressure, but it seems to me that the air can makes the shock want to settle down to ~30% when your pressure would otherwise be high enough to be in the 20%s, to a certain extent

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006856
Mobile Version of Website