MegNeg

PB Forum :: SRAM
MegNeg
O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 7:29 Quote
The megneg should help with that. I also noticed a huge improvement in off the top suppleness with mine.

Posted: Oct 16, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
Hey need your help.

Running the megneg on my G180, as I was bottoming out too often and even though I put in 3 positiv spacers I reached the end of the stroke way too easy.

So installed a megneg, running it with 1 positive token and zero bands. I now have a lot more progression, but the bike feels harsher over the chunky stuff… at one point I added 4 bands to see the effect and to be honest, it wasnt a big change in feel, so I changed back but maybe it was too soon.

Recommendations? Should adding bands helping with the harshness I feel?

Thank you very much

Posted: Oct 16, 2022 at 14:03 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:
Hey need your help.

Running the megneg on my G180, as I was bottoming out too often and even though I put in 3 positiv spacers I reached the end of the stroke way too easy.

So installed a megneg, running it with 1 positive token and zero bands. I now have a lot more progression, but the bike feels harsher over the chunky stuff… at one point I added 4 bands to see the effect and to be honest, it wasnt a big change in feel, so I changed back but maybe it was too soon.

Thank you very much

You could run more sag without bottoming out probably…

Posted: Oct 16, 2022 at 22:44 Quote
What´s the tune of your shock? MM?

In most cases you need to reshimm the shock with the megneg. The harshness mostly comes from a to firm HSC or the HSR is to slow/fast with the megneg.

Posted: Oct 16, 2022 at 23:10 Quote
Thanks.

@dice8

You already helped me in the mtb news forum, I just wanted to have some more opinions as I am not planning to invest any more money so that is why I was looking for some more advice.

Its not that I dont believe you, but I try to achieve the best possible outcome without reshimming the shock. All the reviews never mention reshimming, so I also believe there must be a possibility to get a better result without reshimming (even though I have no doubt that your recommendation would be the optimum).

I changed bikes yesterday with my buddy which rides the same bike/shock stock and his suspension is so much more soft in the rough stuff, like a magic carpet. But then again he has ZERO bottom out resistance…

My understanding is the strong mid stroke support of the megneg makes the feel harsher. By adding bands, I could compensate for that and maxbe keep ghat bottom out resistance?

Edit: shock tune is „LNL“ (does that make sense?)

To be clear: the bike is not unridable by any means. It rides good and fast and finally has more bottom out. All I need now is that the suspension mutes the trail/high impacts a bit better.

Posted: Oct 17, 2022 at 3:29 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:
Hey need your help.

Thank you very much

I have a megneg on my Nukeproof Mega. It was very harsh initially over chunky terrain. I now have 4 bands in the negative and no volume spacers and it feels great. I reckon remove the volume spacer and try it. As long as you're not bottoming out too much you don't need it.
I noticed a big difference going from 3 to 4 negative bands. I'm also running about 32% sag, slightly more than the recommended 30%.

Posted: Oct 17, 2022 at 10:37 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:
Thanks.

@dice8

You already helped me in the mtb news forum, I just wanted to have some more opinions as I am not planning to invest any more money so that is why I was looking for some more advice.

Its not that I dont believe you, but I try to achieve the best possible outcome without reshimming the shock. All the reviews never mention reshimming, so I also believe there must be a possibility to get a better result without reshimming (even though I have no doubt that your recommendation would be the optimum).

I changed bikes yesterday with my buddy which rides the same bike/shock stock and his suspension is so much more soft in the rough stuff, like a magic carpet. But then again he has ZERO bottom out resistance…

My understanding is the strong mid stroke support of the megneg makes the feel harsher. By adding bands, I could compensate for that and maxbe keep ghat bottom out resistance?

Edit: shock tune is „LNL“ (does that make sense?)

To be clear: the bike is not unridable by any means. It rides good and fast and finally has more bottom out. All I need now is that the suspension mutes the trail/high impacts a bit better.

I know nothing about the suspension kinematics of the G180 but the MegNeg is not appropriate for every bike out there. I run 4 bands in the neg chamber with no positive volume spacer since it was impossible to bottom out with one. That worked for me and also running a little bit more SAG than recommended. If you can find the kinematics graph of your bike and at the same time you check the graph that comes in the MegNeg manual installation is easy to understand how it will affect your bike.

Posted: Oct 17, 2022 at 10:51 Quote
Thanks guys. The G180 has a more progressiv kinematic according to this:

https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2021/09/whyte-g180-2021.html?m=1

And I know the Megneg is not recommended for progressive bikes. But as I stated, I could bottom out pretty easy before! No matter what the kinematics say. I had to run below 25% Sag to not bottom out on trails. Even adding 3 positiv tokens didnt do the trick…

I am now with 1 Token and I need to see if I can remove that as well. But first I will now add some bands (2) and continue testing.

Posted: Oct 19, 2022 at 8:12 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:
Thanks guys. The G180 has a more progressiv kinematic according to this:

https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2021/09/whyte-g180-2021.html?m=1

And I know the Megneg is not recommended for progressive bikes. But as I stated, I could bottom out pretty easy before! No matter what the kinematics say. I had to run below 25% Sag to not bottom out on trails. Even adding 3 positiv tokens didnt do the trick…

I am now with 1 Token and I need to see if I can remove that as well. But first I will now add some bands (2) and continue testing.

I checked the leverage ratio of your bike. MegNeg will make it harder to bottom out. I think you should remove the positive token and tune it only with the bands. Try four. And then if you want more support for the middle part of the stroke start removing bands one by one.

Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 7:24 Quote
I know and I like the improved bottom out, but not sure if I am able to remove that Token but will definitely think about it. I am now at 4 bands as suggested and try it out with one token and ~30 Sag. If I am unable to use full travel, I will remove the token.

Thank you, appreciate it.

Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 8:25 Quote
Have installed the megneg on my hightower for almost 2 years but have never really 'played' with it in terms of setting until this morning. The megneg was initially installed with 1 positive token and 1 negative band (150psi to achieve 35% sag while my weight is only 74kg??!!) but I have always felt it to be on a harsh side on loose rocky descents but on the other hand the pedaling has been superb without using the lock switch.

Out of the blue , I ditched the 30% sag rule today and dropped my pressure to 125 psi and I had the best ride with the bike today doing the same loose rocky descent. The bike felt composed and it gave me sort of a (controlled) push out of berms and got me new PR. The sag was 45% after having dropped my pressure to 125 psi but the bike has never been as supple before and this is correlated with the number of pedal strikes I had which was totally expected as I sat lower on my bike.

Would love to hear from other megneg owners if I should remove my one and only token in my positive chamber or add bands in negative chamber and to get my sag back to 30% without having to sacrifice all the merits I have experienced today ?

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 9:17 Quote
mingdaking wrote:
Have installed the megneg on my hightower for almost 2 years but have never really 'played' with it in terms of setting until this morning. The megneg was initially installed with 1 positive token and 1 negative band (150psi to achieve 35% sag while my weight is only 74kg??!!) but I have always felt it to be on a harsh side on loose rocky descents but on the other hand the pedaling has been superb without using the lock switch.

Out of the blue , I ditched the 30% sag rule today and dropped my pressure to 125 psi and I had the best ride with the bike today doing the same loose rocky descent. The bike felt composed and it gave me sort of a (controlled) push out of berms and got me new PR. The sag was 45% after having dropped my pressure to 125 psi but the bike has never been as supple before and this is correlated with the number of pedal strikes I had which was totally expected as I sat lower on my bike.

Would love to hear from other megneg owners if I should remove my one and only token in my positive chamber or add bands in negative chamber and to get my sag back to 30% without having to sacrifice all the merits I have experienced today ?

From what you're describing, the negative bands is the direction you should experimenting. Are you bottoming out with the reduced pressure and the 1 positive token? Rebound plays a factor in repetitive hits. 45% Sag is too low in my opinion!
I run mine at 30%, use most of my travel(3mm to spare) and haven't felt a bottom out yet.

Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
razzle wrote:
mingdaking wrote:

From what you're describing, the negative bands is the direction you should experimenting. Are you bottoming out with the reduced pressure and the 1 positive token? Rebound plays a factor in repetitive hits. 45% Sag is too low in my opinion!

I have not bottomed out today on jumps, the red o-ring reached the edge of the shaft. before i add /remove negative bands, should I first remove the one and only positive token ?

Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 12:46 Quote
Seems weird that you have a good feeling with 45% Sag, actually it should feel harsher as you basically have no more midstroke left and directly go into the end stroke/progression, the shock cant recover itself…

Do you consider yourself a fast/aggressive/advanced rider or more on the beginner side?

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 19:36 Quote
That seems very odd to me too. When's the last time you've had your shock serviced? Have you checked your pivot bearings?

Active Forum Threads
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006846
Mobile Version of Website