MegNeg

PB Forum :: SRAM
MegNeg
Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 22:15 Quote
I've actually found more traction running more sag as well. I think it depends on the geo and the kinematics of the bike. I think very progressive frames benefit from running more than typical sag.

Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 12:02 Quote
Hi all! I installed the Megneg on my meta Tr and now it’s much better but now I can’t open the negative air chamber to try to add or remove some bands. Obviously I deflated the shock and removed the big O ring…
Can someone help me?

Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 19:50 Quote
ilfra wrote:
Hi all! I installed the Megneg on my meta Tr and now it’s much better but now I can’t open the negative air chamber to try to add or remove some bands. Obviously I deflated the shock and removed the big O ring…
Can someone help me?

as you deflate it, stop a couple times to cycle the shock thru its travel to equalize the chambers

your negative chamber is full of air if you deflated the shock without cycling it

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 7:42 Quote
Anyone have any experience with the megneg for the deluxe ultimate on a transition spur. Just ordered the deluxe to replace the sidluxe on my spur and I have no idea what setup to run with the new shock. I’m 170lbs and mainly ride chunky steep stuff if that helps at all. Thanks

Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 7:35 Quote
Andrewleeinhouse wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the megneg for the deluxe ultimate on a transition spur. Just ordered the deluxe to replace the sidluxe on my spur and I have no idea what setup to run with the new shock. I’m 170lbs and mainly ride chunky steep stuff if that helps at all. Thanks

Not experience with the Spur, but I found RS's recomendations for megneg tuning pretty good, in terms of where to start. If I recall, they recommend using 1-2 fewer positive spacers then what you were using before, adding 1-2 negative spacers, and then setting the pressure to your normal psi + 20%. I had to make only minimal changes after that, following a few more test rides.

For my V3 SC Bronson, I run about the plus twenty percent psi, zero negative bands, and two positive spacers (I had 2.5 before). On this bike, the suspension design itself is characterized as pretty linear, if that helps.

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 5:28 Quote
I have stumbled upon this thread after trying to figure out the best way to set up my SC 5010v3 it looks like the leverage curve is considered overall slightly regressive up until
30mm around the sag point and then becomes progressive before finally becoming linear in the last 5mm or so.
photo

Before getting the meg meg I was running on a super deluxe ultimate 3 spacers at 180 psi to get 30% sag (weigh 185-190) it felt ok but on high speed hits it got harsh. I moved to 2 spacers and it felt better but was bottoming out and missing the support I had. I am now running the megneg at 3 negative bands with one positive spacer and it feels pretty decent but trying to figure out the best way to get it close to the original can with 2 spacers feeling but with bottom out resistance and support? Anyone had experience or tried this on a SC 5010v3? I have looked everywhere and cannot find anyone else that has used one. Appreciate any feedback you can provide as this is definitely something I wanna figure out.

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 6:51 Quote
Jumpthefunk wrote:
I have stumbled upon this thread after trying to figure out the best way to set up my SC 5010v3 it looks like the leverage curve is considered overall slightly regressive up until
30mm around the sag point and then becomes progressive before finally becoming linear in the last 5mm or so.
photo

Before getting the meg meg I was running on a super deluxe ultimate 3 spacers at 180 psi to get 30% sag (weigh 185-190) it felt ok but on high speed hits it got harsh. I moved to 2 spacers and it felt better but was bottoming out and missing the support I had. I am now running the megneg at 3 negative bands with one positive spacer and it feels pretty decent but trying to figure out the best way to get it close to the original can with 2 spacers feeling but with bottom out resistance and support? Anyone had experience or tried this on a SC 5010v3? I have looked everywhere and cannot find anyone else that has used one. Appreciate any feedback you can provide as this is definitely something I wanna figure out.

I don't have experience with setting up the MegNeg on a 5010, but I would consider removing negative bands. This will definitely add more midstroke support. Then start adding positive tolkiens until you only bottom out about once or twice on your chunkiest rides/biggest hits.

When you say "support" I am assuming you mean midstroke. If the issue is only in the last third or quarter of the travel, then it is strictly a positive token issue.

Posted: Jan 3, 2023 at 0:19 Quote
Hi,

Has anyone tried a MegNeg on a Canyon Sender frame?

I have a Sender CFR from 2021. It came with a Super Deluxe Ultimate as a standard equipment. There’s nothing wrong with the shock, however, I’m really looking to upgrade the feel of the rear end a bit (especially the sensitivity).
Going to a coil shock will definitely be the best solution (and something I want to do in the future for sure) but if putting a MegNeg air can on my current shock will provide some benefits and will be an upgrade over stock, I would definitely go that way for now as it will be way more cost effective.
What I'm looking at is mostly the shock to be more supple of the top and to have just a tad bit more mid-stroke support. I currently have 2 positive tokens inside it and the bottom out support is perfect for me at the moment.

I know that the new Sender has a pretty progressive leverage ratio - something around 28% I think, so I’m not really sure the MegNeg will be the best way to go in that situation.
Also, I don't know why that is, but I haven’t seen any DH bikes out there that run an air RockShox shocks with the MegNeg to be honest, which is also something that’s stopping me going this route for now.

That’s why if anyone has some experience with this combo on a newer Sender frame, some feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Smile

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2023 at 23:50 Quote
Hey,
Just put Megneg on my spindrift. I tried it with 1 token (positive chamber) and 2 bands. with 30%.
Really love the support the megneg bring but, little bumps don't feel good.

May be put 4 bands in the neg will be better ?

Posted: Feb 13, 2023 at 0:40 Quote
aymeric64 wrote:
Hey,
Just put Megneg on my spindrift. I tried it with 1 token (positive chamber) and 2 bands. with 30%.

The Megneg is all about experimentation, you'll have to try it and see for yourself.
However, the Spindrift is a pretty progressive frame, and you can't have both support and bump compliance. So I have a feeling that after trying a bunch of configurations, you'll be back on the stock air can. Smile

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2023 at 1:54 Quote
HollyBoni wrote:
aymeric64 wrote:
Hey,

The Megneg is all about experimentation, you'll have to try it and see for yourself.
However, the Spindrift is a pretty progressive frame, and you can't have both support and bump compliance. So I have a feeling that after trying a bunch of configurations, you'll be back on the stock air can. Smile

Already have a Sr suntour triair, wich is a pretty good shock, but even with tokens it needs supports. If i do some big jumps in bikepark the schock bottom out. The shock is fine on off season but for bikepark on brakebumps and big jumps not the best ( also have a dhx2 for bikepark but i like the feeling of airschock)

I had a really good opportunity on a new rockshox superdeluxe ultimate, so i buy a megneg to try. Love the support
But it feels not good on roots for the moment . I will try to put 4 bands with same settings.

I decide to buy rockshox because for the suntour there is no spareparts ( i take dvo seals for the little service) and there is not a lot of tutorial for.

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2023 at 1:56 Quote
And i am 85kg. I ride super clean but sometimes when i am a bit agressive the suntour says nop i bottom out hahaha

Posted: Feb 13, 2023 at 3:04 Quote
You really have to experiment. Try a different number of negative bands, positive bands, and different air pressures.
But the Megneg is not magical. More support means the shock firms up sooner, and you can't really have a shock that's both firm and compliant on stuff like roots and rocks.
But again, just experiment, you might find a setup that you like. If I were you, I would also try the stock air can with higher pressures. Ignore sag and just go by feel.

You might also benefit from a custom damper tune. Propain frames have pretty high leverage ratios, and while you're not that heavy, you're not that light either. M-Suspensiontech in Germany does very good work at very reasonable prices, and he actually uses custom parts, so it's not just reshim or something.

Posted: Feb 21, 2023 at 4:24 Quote
aymeric64 wrote:
Hey,

First thing to do is take out the positive token. See how much travel you are using.
Each negative band added makes a significant difference.

Try 2 bands with no token.
You could keep adding bands if you don't get the feeling you want.
You could also run slightly more sag, even 32% would make a noticeable difference.

Posted: Feb 21, 2023 at 22:39 Quote
Megneg Newby here.....im currently running 28% sag with 2 bands and no token..... Shock feels great but Im only using 80% of travel, am I right in thinking that adding more bands = less pressure therefore I should use more travel.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013189
Mobile Version of Website