Are 29ers *still* considered unsuitable for shorties?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Are 29ers *still* considered unsuitable for shorties?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 9, 2019 at 14:40 Quote
Asking with respect for development in geometries in recent years. I know it was the case 10~ years ago that they were typically unweildy and common thinking was that you needed the physical size/mass to properly move them about. What seems to be the common thinking now? Are manufacturers still sticking to this thinking? Are there any companies doing a better job than others? EG: I notice that Norco seem to highlight their consistent geo feel across all sizes (marketing..), but how much impact does this have??

O+ FL
Posted: May 12, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
29er geo has come along way. Short riders still have to worry about getting buzzed by the rear tire. Demos are the only way to know.

O+
Posted: May 12, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
how short are we talking?

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 17:58 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
29er geo has come along way. Short riders still have to worry about getting buzzed by the rear tire. Demos are the only way to know.

Short guys? What about tall guys? I have wildly long arms and legs so tend to hang way back on steeps and I get buzzed a lot descending.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 22:08 Quote
My wife is 5'7" and coming from a Bronson. She loves the megatower. I am 6'2" and won't buy 29er bikes anymore. I think the rule you quote is obsolete but I also don't think there is any rule to replace it. The ride is quite different between the two with very different advantages and disadvantages which suit different riding styles. I do think that the disadvantages of 29ers are less of an issue for taller/heavier Riders.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 4:29 Quote
I doubt it Isabeau Courdurier is tiny and she now rides a 29er and likes it.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 4:56 Quote
Hadgfeet wrote:
I doubt it Isabeau Courdurier is tiny and she now rides a 29er and likes it.

True however what's good for a pro racer isn't always going to be good for a regular rider. Shorties like me (I'm 5'3") will find, as others have pointed out, that there is less room over the back wheel. That may or may not be a problem depending on what and how you ride. My enduro bike will stay 27.5, I need that extra room - I dont race so losing the extra speed isn't an issue for me. My next XC bike will be a 29er though.

FL
Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 3:31 Quote
the whole 27.5 or 29 choice is quite interesting. As people have mentioned, not only can height effect your choice, so can riding style and the places you ride.

A few of my riding buddies have moved onto 29er's. I'm not as fast as them, which initially I put down to my tiny 27.5 inch wheels, until it dawned on me that they are just faster riders, no matter the wheel size. And that speed difference changes depending on the trail. Fast, super smooth flow... i'm glued to them. Chunky, rooty trails, they gain a few bike lengths every 100meters. but that's not down to wheel size, its down to riding ability.

At one point I was determined to get a 29er to get 'up to speed', but after riding a couple (albeit not for very long) I didn't feel comfortable. And due to my riding style, I would defo be buzzing my butt when it gets steep.

It does feel like sometimes the biking media is shoving 29er down our throats, but then they are just passing on the latest creations that the industry feeds them. But let us not forget there are some awesome 27.5 bikes out there from many companies.

Anywho…. back to the OP, I think your height is far less an issue these days when it comes to 'short' people riding a 29er. I would get her to take some for a spin and see if she likes them!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009479
Mobile Version of Website