Slash 8 Sizing

PB Forum :: Trek
Slash 8 Sizing
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 11, 2019 at 19:18 Quote
I JUST bought a Slash 8 and I LOVE the bike. The only thing I’m unsure about is the sizing. I am 5’9 and I bought the 18.5 as recommended by the Trek fit guide. The bike feels a little short when sitting and by that I find myself wanting to be back on the saddle (the seat is all the way back on the rails) (maybe a bad habit) when standing it feels pretty good but having the bar a bit less under me and more in front wouldn’t hurt for confidence as well as I find myself fighting to get into the agressive position for decending (maybe this is bad habits and poor riding technique).
What should I do, size up or stick with the 18.5 based on the fit guide? Or is it possibly bad technique and I need to break some bad habits?!

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 21:40 Quote
JSW07 wrote:
I JUST bought a Slash 8 and I LOVE the bike. The only thing I’m unsure about is the sizing. I am 5’9 and I bought the 18.5 as recommended by the Trek fit guide. The bike feels a little short when sitting and by that I find myself wanting to be back on the saddle (the seat is all the way back on the rails) (maybe a bad habit) when standing it feels pretty good but having the bar a bit less under me and more in front wouldn’t hurt for confidence as well as I find myself fighting to get into the agressive position for decending (maybe this is bad habits and poor riding technique).
What should I do, size up or stick with the 18.5 based on the fit guide? Or is it possibly bad technique and I need to break some bad habits?!

I'd stick out the 18.5 for now.... its a pretty expensive swap.

The alloy slash features a steeper STA than the carbon model, and one of the products of a steep STA is a shorter-feeling cockpit when seated. I'd work on saddle fore-aft and hand bar/control positions a bit and then try to get used to it I guess.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
JSW07 wrote:

I'm 5'10" on a 19.5 Slash 9.7 with the carbon frame. I could probably ride a 18.5 or a 19.5, but decided to size up to a 19.5 on this bike. Try lowering the handlebar by one or two spacers on the headset. That will actually move the bars forward slightly and is a cheap and easy way to play with the bike's feel.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 14:30 Quote
Wider bars and longer stem should make you sit a bit more central if your very far back. Im 5'10 and I tried a 19.5 slash and a 18.5 and 19.5 remedy. 18.5 was a better climbing bike but noticeably smaller when sitting. Went for a 19.5 slash, still nice to climb but not as comfortable as the 18.5. I did think both sizes descended nearly the same

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 8:09 Quote
Good feedback, its interesting to read the different perspectives.

I tried a Remedy 18.5 as well but found it to ckimb poorly and the stack was to low so I tried the 19.5 and liked it as it was calmer (if thats a word) climbing and the stack was a little higher by nature. Thats what made me try the Slash. I find I’m really picky about stack height so I actually have been running my 18.5 Slash 8 with 2 spacers and while standing it feels right.
My LBS is hooking me up with a Demo ride on an 19.5 carbon Slash so that i can try the 19.5 and 18.5 back to back. The sales person suggested that I try them both on tight switchbacks and if I can get the 19.5 around it comfortably, then go 19.5.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010501
Mobile Version of Website