What makes you want a new bike?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What makes you want a new bike?
  • Next Page
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 17:43 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I need to start going to more demo events and festivals

It can either put your curiosity to rest or show you that something else would be better. At least you'd make a really good choice and maybe not want to replace your bike as often.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I need to start going to more demo events and festivals

It can either put your curiosity to rest or show you that something else would be better. At least you'd make a really good choice and maybe not want to replace your bike as often.

I go and then think, "I want every new bike". Wallet = Dead

O+
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 20:26 Quote
I don’t see my bikes as purchases that are static until the next one. They are projects. Half the fun is seeing what you can change to improve/augment the ride. Once there is nothing left to change or upgrade, its time to add a new project to the collection.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 2:54 Quote
reedholden wrote:
I don’t see my bikes as purchases that are static until the next one. They are projects. Half the fun is seeing what you can change to improve/augment the ride. Once there is nothing left to change or upgrade, its time to add a new project to the collection.

Yeah I'd go along with that.

O+ FL
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 9:30 Quote
For me it has to be a big change, or really breaking the frame. Maybe I am lucky that I own my dream bike?

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
lewiscraik wrote:
or really breaking the frame.

Oh yeah, that too.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 14:27 Quote
Pure expirementation, when I'm done fiddling everything untill is no more interesting I start prepping the way with the wife... It's the most exciting thing to achieve! Only if I had unlimited budget...

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 15:36 Quote
I've been trying to solve N+1 but haven't had much luck. I keep coming up one short so have to buy another to see if it works out.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 11:18 Quote
Seems like there is a whole spectrum.

There are some that buy the newest model every year, because they can afford it, and they justify spending the money. But maybe these people have been riding for years and like keeping up with the tech. I think of it as a crossover of experience and financial ability.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is someone new to the sport, and who doesn't want to spend a lot. You end up getting a bike to start off with, based on limited knowledge. As you gather more experience, try different bikes, develop skills; it starts to become obvious when you feel limited by your equipment. At this point you can maybe upgrade components, but if you were limited by money and experience in the first place, the bike may not be ideal for your new preferences.

I def fall more into the latter category. I just recently bought a new (used) bike bc my older bike was not worth upgrading. So i searched and searched until I found a good deal on a bike that fit my criteria.

But maybe you have a lot of experience and little money? or lots of money and little experience? Everyone will have different reasons for wanting a new bike, I guess.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
I'm on my 2nd bike since 2007, so I'd say I wait untill my bike is outdated and feels like it's holding me back. Last purchase was 2016, it was a big change from my then 10yr old bike, although I still own it and use it as a back up. I have a 4yr minimum that I have to keep the new bike and upgrade parts if necessary.
I'm still very happy with the current bike, components have mostly held up, geo is still contemporary. Limited rear tyre clearance is my only gripe. In 2020 I will either replace it with a new model or add a fs on the stable.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012058
Mobile Version of Website