How do you find your way around the trails?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How do you find your way around the trails?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: May 13, 2019 at 9:23 Quote
Helloooo, dunno if this is the right place for this question (also posted it in the wrong group before!), but what is your favourite method of getting round a trail? Map, garmin, phone, something else?

I have been getting annoyed on my road bike - stopping every 2 minutes to look at strava, which is obviously not any help! I want to do longer trails that aren't bike park routes (which are clear/posted/only one route). And I am already envisaging that it is going to be super annoying trying to find my way round! So what do you like to do, when you're on the hills, to keep on the right path? Smile

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 9:41 Quote
scaryfirelady wrote:
Helloooo, dunno if this is the right place for this question (also posted it in the wrong group before!), but what is your favourite method of getting round a trail? Map, garmin, phone, something else?

I have been getting annoyed on my road bike - stopping every 2 minutes to look at strava, which is obviously not any help! I want to do longer trails that aren't bike park routes (which are clear/posted/only one route). And I am already envisaging that it is going to be super annoying trying to find my way round! So what do you like to do, when you're on the hills, to keep on the right path? Smile

Trailforks App....

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
Have a look at ViewRanger, can be used with OS mapping, OpenCycle map, OpenStreetMap or various others.

O+
Posted: May 13, 2019 at 11:44 Quote
I use landmarks, the mountains and sun, like a built in gps

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
I use ViewRanger on my phone and Apple Watch. Only problem is that after six hours or so it drains the battery. Mind you that’s generally been enough for most rides, and if my watch fails I can always go to my phone. Also carry a map for back up if I’m in an area that I don’t know.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
Trailforks app. The good thing about trails is that, generally, they are fairly long. So you can find your trail, get on it and ride for a while knowing the next fork isn't for a few kms or so.

Do that until you get to know your local system. Or find some locals to ride with until you get to know the system better.

Sometimes it's fun to just go ride trails for a while, get a little lost, then pull out your phone to figure out where you are.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
^^^ Same here. I'll admit that it can get a little annoying always having to check your phone, especially with gloves on. But it's worth it in the long run.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 17:13 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
I use landmarks, the mountains and sun, like a built in gps

This. You are never lost; just beyond a certain point that you know. Go back that way.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 21:01 Quote
I love trailforks.
It's google maps for mountain bikers.

derickh

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 23:32 Quote
islandforlife wrote:

Sometimes it's fun to just go ride trails for a while, get a little lost, then pull out your phone to figure out where you are.

This is what i do. Ride, look for fun stuff, get lost, get un-lost, review later to see where i went.

That, or ride with others who know the where the trails are. In doing this you might be missing what could turn out to be your favourite bits, cos your guide either doesn't like that trail, or hasn't found it yet.

O+
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 2:00 Quote
Hehe, awesome. It's about the same as I currently do just now! But as Im looking at loops further away, and I will ride by myself sometimes. Just wondered if there was a more sensible thing to do! Glad there isn't! Hahah!

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 2:05 Quote
Some bike computers allow routes to be installed and will then guide you. Not sure if trailforks does this too, I've never used it. I think it was a gpx file for the route.

This is likely to be out of date information.

FL
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 2:12 Quote
I just ride around and see what I happen to find. If I see a trail I follow it and if sucks take a different one next time! I find I learn my route better that way. Following a digital map I never seem to pay the same level of attention to what’s around me

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
Accept the fact that a first ride on a new trail is always gonna be abit s@#t when going exploring for new stuff. Just have to sacrifice to learn where the good stuff is and how it rides.
I used to dedicate entire days to just exploring trying stuff walking pushing carrying to find it. Then work our ways to link it. Surprising amount of satisfaction working it out. Can always retrace your tracks back if it's getting late.
Os map and a mtb guide book gives you very Good Base and a safe way to get your head round a Os map quick and a feel for the terrain and time.
Or just stave stalk a mtb guide.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 7:08 Quote
I try to get lost on purpose so I get stuck in the woods overnight, and as a result don’t end up going into work the next day. Unfortunately this hasn’t happened yet.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011350
Mobile Version of Website