So I started again and need some help, pls

PB Forum :: Beginners
So I started again and need some help, pls
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 13, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
Hi folks. Yesterday I won an auction for a boardman pro 2016 [frame] and planning a build. I want to seek some advice on my build before i start buying bits but hopefully this part of the forum is best. If someone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

First question, is that a tapered fork ?

I will be cutting some expensive corners where possible for example I might go for a RS Recon front fork at the same time trying to keep the weight down and the quality high. Cost is my biggest issue but i am in no rush which should help me find some good buildswap bargains.

Thinking 1x11 if it's feasible cost wise but don't mind changing that. Although I am really not sure what options are possible on this bike.

Thanks

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 20:12 Quote
Based on the headtube profile it may be tapered but even if it were straight, an external lower cup will allow use of a tapered steerer. For performance lightweight value in a fork, checkout the current deals at CRC on Manitou Markhor and Machete.
Normally plenty of Sram Level brake takeoffs in classifieds for about 100 quid, otherwise Shimano M395-6 have been called the best budget brakes. Since you are in no rush, scour for the online specials/coupons and be ready to pounce on the TGTBT offers cause they sell out quick. 1x11 drivetrains are great but you might find a deal on 1x10 components and Sunrace now has an 11x46 10sp cassette, not to mention full Sunrace groupsets that look like Shimano for less.
Limit the number of orders by using price matching and meet free shipping thresholds when you can. Lowcost wheelsets can be found when you look hard enough though if you go Boost fork with your regular rear, that is harder to get as a set. Search for 25mm or more for rims... I suspect the frame should fit 2.35 tires easy enough.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 18:39 Quote
Heist30 wrote:
Based on the headtube profile it may be tapered but even if it were straight, an external lower cup will allow use of a tapered steerer. For performance lightweight value in a fork, checkout the current deals at CRC on Manitou Markhor and Machete.
Normally plenty of Sram Level brake takeoffs in classifieds for about 100 quid, otherwise Shimano M395-6 have been called the best budget brakes. Since you are in no rush, scour for the online specials/coupons and be ready to pounce on the TGTBT offers cause they sell out quick. 1x11 drivetrains are great but you might find a deal on 1x10 components and Sunrace now has an 11x46 10sp cassette, not to mention full Sunrace groupsets that look like Shimano for less.
Limit the number of orders by using price matching and meet free shipping thresholds when you can. Lowcost wheelsets can be found when you look hard enough though if you go Boost fork with your regular rear, that is harder to get as a set. Search for 25mm or more for rims... I suspect the frame should fit 2.35 tires easy enough.

Hey Heist30, thanks for the reply.

I have now got some barely used RS Recon SL on their way to me for less than half price which is a great start. I realise they are not reba but have no issues with that. The frame is here and is tapered but the onyl thing that came with it is the hanger and a token crank bearings set that are fitted. He didn't remove it because he felt it would just damage them so left them in. He is also having a hunt for some headset bearings for me but has confirmed which one I need which is a full integrated set.

Believe it or not I was looking at some MT200 brakes which are dirt cheap. I figure I won't be doing anything crazy on the bike but also don't want to cut that corner too tightly if MT200s are crap. I will definitely be getting hydro and they will be a decent brand, just not really fussed on what, other than the cost. SRAM or SHIMANO at least. No zoom, clarke or tektro, just based on years previous around the forums when I rebuilt a 2010 BM pro and did a from new Cube build.

I figure I have to complete this build for under £500 but the frame and fork have cost me £158 already.

The wheels I got for the cube were crossmax st £500 brand new but paid £100 for them and they were exceptionally good condition. I very much doubt I will repeat that and as long as I get some decent straight wheels I will be happy.

Drive train wise I have no idea set yet. I would like to go 1x but I realise if I do I will need the real high and low of 11x or 10 if that is possible but I see already that 11x is not cheap at all. If I don't go 1x and instead can opt for 3x it will be 3x9. but I really want to keep this 1x as it is supposed to be. I also don't care if it 9x but again, that extreme ratio must be there. Are sunrace good ? My cube had full brand new SLX groupset.

I'm ordering some carbon bits from china, bars, seat, post and I'll get some sort of 60-70 stem. Jagwire cables. £10 on grips so that's £60-70 however I have spotted a matching carbon bars and seat post inc alloy stem for £23 so that could shave off the pennies a little. I've had them before and they are great as far as I can tell.

I think £500 is a fair budget and while I won't get the boardman back to original spec, it will be good enough for me.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014845
Mobile Version of Website