Guide -> Code brakes

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 13, 2019 at 13:50 Quote
Anyone done this upgrade? Worth doing?

I was happy on the guides, but did a bike park uplift day last weekend, and was getting to edge of their usable performance. Am thinking of upgrading, as I’m off to the Alps for two weeks at the end of summer.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
I just upgraded my guides to Hayes Dominions and I'm very happy with them. They are the best brakes I've ever used.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 0:04 Quote
I upgraded to the Codes on my 2016 Strive about 12 months ago because I felt like Guides really weren't doing anything, especially when the terrain got steep. Been really happy with the Codes so far, it feels like I'm going to stop when I want to stop now, and trust that they are going to do what I want them to.
I was so annoyed with the Guides that when I got a new Django I upgraded its brakes to the Codes as well, and even though they are overkill for that bike it's nice to have the extra stopping power when required

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 1:00 Quote
I replaced my Guide R with Code RSC a couple of months ago. The difference is massive. I upped the rear rotor to 200 too. I was at Bike Park Wales last week so the first time I've really, really tested them. Well happy with them, they maintain the modulation of the Guides with what feels like way, way more than the 15% extra power they're supposed to provide.
I'd recommend the upgrade.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 1:53 Quote
I have 3 bikes. 2 have codes and the other has guides. Big difference in performance. I definitely prefer the codes for long descents and better modulation on steeps.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 3:41 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
Anyone done this upgrade? Worth doing?

I was happy on the guides, but did a bike park uplift day last weekend, and was getting to edge of their usable performance. Am thinking of upgrading, as I’m off to the Alps for two weeks at the end of summer.

If you need power upgrade form Guides, Codes are the only choice in SRAM world. Otherwise Saint, MT7 etc.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 4:27 Quote
onyxss wrote:
If you need power upgrade form Guides, Codes are the only choice in SRAM world. Otherwise Saint, MT7 etc.
Not necessarily buddy. You have the Guide Ultimate which I believe is the Guide levers with Code Calipers. You also have those new G2's with upgraded levers/calipers.

O+ FL
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
yonny10 wrote:
onyxss wrote:
Not necessarily buddy. You have the Guide Ultimate which I believe is the Guide levers with Code Calipers. You also have those new G2's with upgraded levers/calipers.

I thought Guide levers with code calipers were guide e's? Guide ultimate calipers look like normal guide calipers to me..?

O+
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 19:39 Quote
yonny10 wrote:
onyxss wrote:

Negative. I have guide ultimates on one of my bikes. Carbon levers and they have more adjustment. Same guide calipers. I still prefer codes.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 0:28 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
I thought Guide levers with code calipers were guide e's? Guide ultimate calipers look like normal guide calipers to me..?
That's the one, my mistake.

FL
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 6:56 Quote
Guide RE are cheap and are basically guide levers with Code calipers.

O+ FL
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:

Cheap, but great brakes!

FL
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
ThinkTank45 wrote:

Cheap, but great brakes!

Sorry yes, I have one on the front of my bike and it's great.

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 8:01 Quote
I went for Code RSCs in the end. As an upgrade from Guide RS I’m very happy. As I’m more confident in their ability to stop me, I’m able to ride much faster and brake later, with much less panic braking.

Only problem now is that I’m considering another fork upgrade. ????

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009178
Mobile Version of Website