Need Help Buying a New Bike - Budget $6000 or Less

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Need Help Buying a New Bike - Budget $6000 or Less
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 9:32 Quote
This bike is going to be for my 50 year old dad who rips. We bought him a used 2016 Giant Trance 2 and now he's hellbent on getting a new bike. When I ask him what he's looking for he says he "wants a bike that can climb like a beast up technical stuff and handle ripping down it." He will primarily be riding around Interior BC (think Kamloops) but we will do lots of riding around Rossland and Golden as well.

I've put together a list of bikes that I think may be a good choice - but I'm looking for some input on those and maybe some other suggestions. Bikes I've been looking at for him:

Yeti SB5
Santa Cruz Bronson/Hightower/Nomad
Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 27.5
Rocky Mountain Instinct Carbon 50/Thunderbolt Alloy 50

Thanks for your input!

O+
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 10:41 Quote
tashorganic wrote:
This bike is going to be for my 50 year old dad who rips. We bought him a used 2016 Giant Trance 2 and now he's hellbent on getting a new bike. When I ask him what he's looking for he says he "wants a bike that can climb like a beast up technical stuff and handle ripping down it." He will primarily be riding around Interior BC (think Kamloops) but we will do lots of riding around Rossland and Golden as well.

I've put together a list of bikes that I think may be a good choice - but I'm looking for some input on those and maybe some other suggestions. Bikes I've been looking at for him:

Yeti SB5

Thanks for your input!

27.5 or 29?

I'd add the Ripmo and SB130

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 19:50 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
tashorganic wrote:

Yeti SB5

Thanks for your input!

27.5 or 29?

Leaning towards 27.5.. What do you think of the Santa Cruz 5010? Looks like he has his eyes on those right now

O+
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 21:25 Quote
Evil Offering or Calling

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 4:56 Quote
tashorganic wrote:
luckyguy19 wrote:
tashorganic wrote:

Yeti SB5

Thanks for your input!

27.5 or 29?

Leaning towards 27.5.. What do you think of the Santa Cruz 5010? Looks like he has his eyes on those right now

My buddy rides a 5010 and loves it. The thing is basically as close to a BMX or fun bike as you’ll get while still being a real mountainbike. He does complain that it isn’t as long as he would like when he hits steeper stuff. I cannot stress enough how poppy and fun the bike is though. It puts my Jeffsy to shame when it comes to boosting stuff.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 21:36 Quote
I just sold my 5010 for a Ripmo. The 5010 was wonderful! Had the 2016 version 2. I put Enve wheels on it. It was a blast. Now that I've dialed in my Ripmo, I think it does everything the 5010 did, but better. It pops. It climbs. It cus a sharper, more nimble corner. It makes me want to pedal so fast that I get out of breath going downhill now. I cut a personal best 17-minute trail section to 15 minutes recently on the Ripmo.

If he wants Santa Cruz, that new megatower looks cool. The hightower and LT are also with a look. If he really rips, the 130mm travel of the 5010 may not be enough. The benefits of 29-inch wheels cannot be overstated.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 6:50 Quote
tashorganic wrote:

Yeti SB5

Thanks for your input!

Fezzari LA SAL PEAK ELITE RACE: $5599, carbon, carbon rims, lyrik, Full gx eagle, 150mm back, 160mm front,lifetime warranty....

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
tashorganic wrote:

Yeti SB5

Thanks for your input!

You can pick up a Mondraker foxy for less than that. It climbs anything and descends like a DH bike. its kinda long but I help a lot on techy climbs and makes it super stable in the air. Also, they look sick and are super unique.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
The 5010 is awesome. I have the new one and the new Nomad. If he is all about blasting tech, the Nomad (or Bronson, Megatower, something with the VPP lower link mounted shock) is probably better. I ride both bikes on my local enduro trails in New Mexico (very steep, rocky, technical). I can pedal the 5010 all the way up, have to walk the Nomad in sections. The Nomad is much more composed on the descents, but the 5010 can handle it (I did boost the fork travel to a 140mm Fox 36 though). The 5010 is generally more playful and better for most trails that aren't crazy technical. If I could only pick one it would be the 5010. The C S kit with the reserve carbon wheels is just over your budget at $6099, the wheels are a worthwhile upgrade. The equivalent Nomad build is a little pricier.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 12:22 Quote
Pivot Mach 6 or Firebird. Climbs so well without locking anything out there's no pedal bob. Descends like a downhill. Playful like 5010, but more travel. Also doesn't have the chain kickback issue that SC has on VPP. Better carbon frame quality than Yeti.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011686
Mobile Version of Website