Front Range CO bike choice

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Front Range CO bike choice
Previous Page |
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
Hey all

Looking at making moves on a new bike. Currently I'm on a hardtail 27.5+ and it's time for an upgrade.

I ride mainly the front range in CO with a few trips to bikeparks during the summer

I'm looking at the following:

Ibis Ripmo
Kona Process
RM Instinct BC
YT Capra***

Really looking for input on the Capra! Thanks in advance

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
No yeti or gg? Local outfits there...

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 14:48 Quote
Howdy neighbor! I'm between Boulder and Golden.

Do you like 27.5+? Do you want to stay on 27.5+? That's a big question. Do you like 29? Have you ridden 29? I wish my Ripmo could do either 29 or 27.5+ like a Pivot Switchblade can. I can't tell you if the rear flex on my Ripmo is from 29x2.6 tires requiring 25+ psi to not roll over on 35 internal rims or if the rear end of a Ripmo is just super laterally flexy. My Ripmo is way less laterally stable in the rear than my 27.5x3.0 tires on a 45 internal rim at 15 psi on a hardtail.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 14:51 Quote
Explodo wrote:

Do you like 27.5+? Do you want to stay on 27.5+? That's a big question. Do you like 29? Have you ridden 29? I wish my Ripmo could do either 29 or 27.5+ like a Pivot Switchblade can. I can't tell you if the rear flex on my Ripmo is from 29x2.6 tires requiring 25+ psi to not roll over on 35 internal rims or if the rear end of a Ripmo is just super laterally flexy. My Ripmo is way less laterally stable in the rear than my 27.5x3.0 tires on a 45 internal rim at 15 psi on a hardtail.

35 internal is plenty for 2.6 tires. What tire/casing is on the rear?

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 14:55 Quote
Ccouch5859 wrote:
Explodo wrote:

35 internal is plenty for 2.6 tires. What tire/casing is on the rear?

Ooops...it's only a 29x2.5 Maxxis Aggressor WT. It came with the bike, which is my excuse for thinking it was a 2.6. It is on Ibis 942 carbon rims.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 17:08 Quote
I’m running 29x2.5WT Aggressors on Spank 30.5 internal rims. The rear on my Slash does not feel flexy at all. I’m not sure that the Ripmo should either. I run 26-28 psi. I’m 220lbs without gear.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 17:13 Quote
Ccouch5859 wrote:
I’m running 29x2.5WT Aggressors on Spank 30.5 internal rims. The rear on my Slash does not feel flexy at all. I’m not sure that the Ripmo should either. I run 26-28 psi. I’m 220lbs without gear.

210 without gear here. I don't know what exactly is the reason for it feeling that way since it's a new bike so everything is different. It's not a good feeling at all.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 20:32 Quote
Capra climbs better than it should, I’d buy another.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 22:15 Quote
INF216 wrote:

Capra bobs like a, well you know what.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 22:15 Quote
jberg421 wrote:
Hey all

Looking at making moves on a new bike. Currently I'm on a hardtail 27.5+ and it's time for an upgrade.

I ride mainly the front range in CO with a few trips to bikeparks during the summer

Ibis Ripmo
Kona Process
RM Instinct BC
YT Capra***

Kona process hands down, ibis is my second vote.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 22:58 Quote
jberg421 wrote:
Hey all

Ibis Ripmo
Kona Process
RM Instinct BC
YT Capra***

instinct, climbs like a hardtail, absolute beast on the downs

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 16:59 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
INF216 wrote:

Capra bobs like a, well you know what.

You should spend some time dialing in the suspension if you are experiencing excessive bob.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 18:06 Quote
Explodo wrote:
Ccouch5859 wrote:

210 without gear here. I don't know what exactly is the reason for it feeling that way since it's a new bike so everything is different. It's not a good feeling at all.

If you weigh 210 25 psi is by no means unrealistic for rear tire pressure. Hell, I weigh 205 in the flat lands of nebraska and still need to run 27 in the rear to keep the tire from rolling in a hard corner. I'll grant though that I usually run xc casings around here for the weight savings since everything is short ups and downs and not crazy rocky. Last time I was in Colorado I rolled a rear tire at 30psi coming through a tight berm.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 21:21 Quote
jberg421,

I have a Ripmo and really love it. It does a lot of stuff really well. I love the high levels of antisquat because you can stand up and really mash. It's so fun it makes you wanna sprint uphill. It's a "bike of the year" for a bunch of magazines for a reason.

There's a 15yo kid in my neighborhood with a process. He got it to do jumps at the jump park and session lines on our enduro trails. He loves it for that. He wants to go pro when he turns 18.

I don't know much about the other two bikes.

You should go visit Explodo and try his Ripmo. If you're the same size he'll probably sell it to you for cheap. His wife got it for him without asking him and it doesn't seem like he's that into it. This week it's a "flexy rear end." Last week it was "my 3x drivetrain had way more range than my new GX 1x."

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 7:24 Quote
50105010 wrote:
jberg421,

I have a Ripmo and really love it. It does a lot of stuff really well. I love the high levels of antisquat because you can stand up and really mash. It's so fun it makes you wanna sprint uphill. It's a "bike of the year" for a bunch of magazines for a reason.

There's a 15yo kid in my neighborhood with a process. He got it to do jumps at the jump park and session lines on our enduro trails. He loves it for that. He wants to go pro when he turns 18.

I don't know much about the other two bikes.

You should go visit Explodo and try his Ripmo. If you're the same size he'll probably sell it to you for cheap. His wife got it for him without asking him and it doesn't seem like he's that into it. This week it's a "flexy rear end." Last week it was "my 3x drivetrain had way more range than my new GX 1x."

You really take my lack of stoke in the Ripmo personally, eh? Look, it's a great bike, but when it's not A bike but THE bike for the next many years, it should really be the one you really wanted. I've got kids that are going to start driving and going to college and blowing a bunch of money on bikes has to stop, so it's THE bike for me for probably 6 years or more. I can't just frame-swap it anytime soon since it was a gift from my wife.

I'll be making the best I can of it, but it's just not what I wanted.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026117
Mobile Version of Website