Front Range CO bike choice

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Front Range CO bike choice
  • Next Page
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
jberg421 wrote:
Hey all

Looking at making moves on a new bike. Currently I'm on a hardtail 27.5+ and it's time for an upgrade.

I ride mainly the front range in CO with a few trips to bikeparks during the summer

I'm looking at the following:

Ibis Ripmo
Kona Process
RM Instinct BC
YT Capra***

Really looking for input on the Capra! Thanks in advance

I live in Longmont so i know the trails around here. what your favorite trail. That would help with your choice.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 18:18 Quote
Explodo wrote:
50105010 wrote:
jberg421,

I have a Ripmo and really love it. It does a lot of stuff really well. I love the high levels of antisquat because you can stand up and really mash. It's so fun it makes you wanna sprint uphill. It's a "bike of the year" for a bunch of magazines for a reason.

There's a 15yo kid in my neighborhood with a process. He got it to do jumps at the jump park and session lines on our enduro trails. He loves it for that. He wants to go pro when he turns 18.

I don't know much about the other two bikes.

You should go visit Explodo and try his Ripmo. If you're the same size he'll probably sell it to you for cheap. His wife got it for him without asking him and it doesn't seem like he's that into it. This week it's a "flexy rear end." Last week it was "my 3x drivetrain had way more range than my new GX 1x."

You really take my lack of stoke in the Ripmo personally, eh? Look, it's a great bike, but when it's not A bike but THE bike for the next many years, it should really be the one you really wanted. I've got kids that are going to start driving and going to college and blowing a bunch of money on bikes has to stop, so it's THE bike for me for probably 6 years or more. I can't just frame-swap it anytime soon since it was a gift from my wife.

I'll be making the best I can of it, but it's just not what I wanted.

Explodo,

I'm totally bummed for you that have a bike you don't like. Period. Especially with the money that was spent on it and the situation you describe. I was not able to test ride a Ripmo before I bought one. But I obsessed over my choice and ordered the whole thing custom, selecting each part and gnashing my teeth, hoping they would all gel together. I wish you had gotten to do that too.

My beef is that you are making comments about your bike and its components on here that are that are colored by your negative emotions associated with the acquisition of your bike. Leave the Ripmo out of it. It is a bummer it's not the bike for you. But don't beat it up because you're mad about something else.

These forums are a refuge for folks to find the most objective statements they can about these bikes in order to get through the decision process. They were a life line for me when I bought a $7000 bike, sight unseen, without even a test ride.

All I ask is that you keep things as objective as you can on here.

And if you really don't like your bike, sell it or trade it. You won't ride it as much. And you won't get as much outside time to emotionally recharge for those kids who are fixing to grow up real soon. Your wife will understand because she seems to want you to be really happy... She bought you a $7000 bike

Either love the one your with or make a change. Life is to short to ride a bike you don't like.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009754
Mobile Version of Website