Rim tape for tubeless setup?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Rim tape for tubeless setup?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 19:18 Quote
I have heard pretty mixed opinions on whether or not I need tubeless rim tape for setting my tires up tubeless or could I just use duct tape or something? Thanks!

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 21:05 Quote
Duct or gorrilla works fine, and is dependable, especially on old 26 rims not designed to go tubeless. Valves cut from old blown tubes work just fine also. BUT...
Stans tape, stans sealant, quality valves with removeable cores, high end tires, and high end wheel build are very high on the list for my builds.
Breaking down and rebuilding an old 26 wheel with no cartridge bearings in the desert dust and sticky nasty duct tape to seal come just behind cheap tires tearing sidewalls or even barfing sealant on big hits 12 miles back as all time least favorite bike maintenance moments....

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 21:08 Quote
Oh also, if it wont blow onto the rim and pop that bead in place, another layer of tape will make those beads tighten up and hold enough air to blow onto the rim and seat. But who needs janky rigged hassle? Good quality rim, valves, tape, tire, sealant will pay off in spades.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 21:29 Quote
nematon785 wrote:
Duct or gorrilla works fine, and is dependable, especially on old 26 rims not designed to go tubeless. Valves cut from old blown tubes work just fine also. BUT...
Stans tape, stans sealant, quality valves with removeable cores, high end tires, and high end wheel build are very high on the list for my builds.
Breaking down and rebuilding an old 26 wheel with no cartridge bearings in the desert dust and sticky nasty duct tape to seal come just behind cheap tires tearing sidewalls or even barfing sealant on big hits 12 miles back as all time least favorite bike maintenance moments....
Thanks! I think I will get stans tape, sealant and valves and do it the right way

O+
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 22:00 Quote
Good choice. Although other tape will seal, they will also break down and become icky and fall apart sooner. The stans tape will last about as long as the rim itself. There is nothing worse than having your sealant system fail on the trailside.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 21:26 Quote
Enve ships their wheels with 1-inch gorilla glue tape in the box. That's what I keep around now. Works well.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 4:53 Quote
DHhedge wrote:
nematon785 wrote:
Thanks! I think I will get stans tape, sealant and valves and do it the right way

Good choice, do it properly - there is nothing worse than tinkering with bad tubeless setup, putting tyre on/off, sealant in/out, pumping. You will appreicate good setup first time you walk home because of bad setup :-)

O+ FL
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 7:12 Quote
I've always used gorilla tape, never had an issue in ~5 years

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
Thanks for the help everyone!

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 9:24 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
I've always used gorilla tape, never had an issue in ~5 years
The only thing I’ve heard is that it’s a mess trying to change the tape. Is that true?
Also signed your petition

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
I've been using gorilla tape for quite some time now too. I don't think it's messy changing tape. I use heat gun during removal, which seems to keep the adhesive attached to the tape as opposed to sticking to the rim.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 11:06 Quote
I've had mixed results with strapping tape: it's absolutely airtight (even without sealant), but the adhesive hasn't always held.

Gorilla Tape definitely works. Very thick, though, which can make it difficult to change tires.

Polyken 231 has been my favourite. Extremely strong hold, thinner than Gorilla Tape, and airtight with sealant.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
PapaGordo wrote:
I've been using gorilla tape for quite some time now too. I don't think it's messy changing tape. I use heat gun during removal, which seems to keep the adhesive attached to the tape as opposed to sticking to the rim.
That definitely helps. Thanks!

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 11:37 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
I've had mixed results with strapping tape: it's absolutely airtight (even without sealant), but the adhesive hasn't always held.

Gorilla Tape definitely works. Very thick, though, which can make it difficult to change tires.

Polyken 231 has been my favourite. Extremely strong hold, thinner than Gorilla Tape, and airtight with sealant.
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
DHhedge wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it

Salute

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008999
Mobile Version of Website