Rim tape for tubeless setup?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Rim tape for tubeless setup?
| Next Page
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 15:22 Quote
DHhedge wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
I've always used gorilla tape, never had an issue in ~5 years
The only thing I’ve heard is that it’s a mess trying to change the tape. Is that true?
Also signed your petition

Havent had to change it! That being said, I am talking about 3 different bikes over 5 years.

Thank you so much for signing the petition!

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 21:02 Quote
Maxi 248 tape has served well... use quality sealant, it does not break down and removes clean, had roll 3 yrs, taped 15-20 rims and still have 1/3 roll.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EP22LP6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Only 2 times I’ve retaped is changing hubs and when I tried TruckerCo sealant(junk-do not use)

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 21:25 Quote
Heist30 wrote:
Maxi 248 tape has served well... use quality sealant, it does not break down and removes clean, had roll 3 yrs, taped 15-20 rims and still have 1/3 roll.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EP22LP6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Only 2 times I’ve retaped is changing hubs and when I tried TruckerCo sealant(junk-do not use)
Thanks! I might just go get some of that tape

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 3:53 Quote
Always wary of using non bike specific tape for my rims, some of them will break down or absorb sealant. The tape is the most important part of the setup in my opinion, sealant comes second and with a quality rim bead/ tire pairing is not even 100% necessary to get your tires set up. That being said, after years of taping with many different brands from the standard Stans to the boutique Cafe Latex, no one touches the new Peatys products their tape is hands down the best and easiest I have used. Plus, why would you not want to support the legend himself?

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
kona-jon wrote:
Always wary of using non bike specific tape for my rims, some of them will break down or absorb sealant. The tape is the most important part of the setup in my opinion, sealant comes second and with a quality rim bead/ tire pairing is not even 100% necessary to get your tires set up. That being said, after years of taping with many different brands from the standard Stans to the boutique Cafe Latex, no one touches the new Peatys products their tape is hands down the best and easiest I have used. Plus, why would you not want to support the legend himself?

There is no such thing as bike-specific tape. Companies in the bike industry just experiment with tapes to see what works best. When they find something satisfactory and cheap, they sell it as tubeless tape. It's the same thing any of us can do, if we don't mind the trial-and-error process.

Re: why we wouldn't want to support Steve Peat: Nothing against Steve Peat, but buying a "non-bike-specific" tape can be a tenth the price!

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 10:05 Quote
Ya if you use more then 1 layer of gorilla it will take a SCARY amount of pressure to seat a new tire.
Also as someone else said use heat when removing.
A trick I use because I don't have a heat gun or hair dryer is alcohol in a spray bottle.
Just spray some on and light in on fire it will burn out in a couple seconds and the tape will be just the right temperature.

Also works on rim decals stickers etc.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 10:09 Quote
kona-jon wrote:
the only tape I've tried besides gorilla was the orange seal tape that came in a kit I bought.
It was terrible like orange packing tape lots of bubbles wouldnt lay down right etc.
I threw it down and grabbed the trusty 1in gorilla and never looked back.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
i've had gorilla tape break down and not hold air. i use stan's now.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 18:00 Quote
Pretty sure Stan's tape is Tesa 4289 tape. Tesa also makes a black tape which I have been using. I prefer it over Gorilla.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017401
Mobile Version of Website