Dropper post

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Dropper post
Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
i got a brandx 2 years ago i believe, still work great no proablem. only complaint is that the lever is terrible

Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 12:05 Quote
I have a Race Face Turbine, the first one of these I had died, I think that was the 9point8 design, the replacement was a rebranded Fox Transfer, and this has been great.

My other bike has a BrandX, and you seriously can’t beat the value of these things. It has more play that the RF, and the lever isn’t the best, but take some of what you are saving and buy another lever if that's a problem for you. These things just work!!

Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 18:19 Quote
yeah true, they do have quite a bit of play, and you will probably want to get a new lever, but value is great

O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2019 at 20:51 Quote
I just joined the fat-brigade, and got an RSD Mayor for the black friday sale. Came with a straight post, and so I ordered a 9point8 post at the same time.I've been wanting to try them for a long time, and they had a killer black friday deal, so I pulled the trigger (on 2!). We've had a pretty mild winter so far in the Okanagan (BC interior), but I have nothing bad to say about them yet. went out for a couple hours this evening in the dark, and it was perfect.

I've owned an old 3-position Command Post stealth 150mm, a OneUp v1 170, and a KS Lev Integra is on my Wreckoning. So far this 9point8 is my favorite, it's just a bit long (200mm).

I love how the lever feel doesn't change in warm or cold temps, because there is no fluid involved. It's made to be user serviceable too, which is a big thumbs up from me. Their Wolftooth colab lever feels even better than the Wolftooth on my other bike. And the seat clamp design is far better than anything else. My KS creaks and shifts slightly, even with a new lower plate, and I'm waiting on the upper.

Only good things to say about them. Customer service is great too, they even phoned me back to discuss a couple quetions I had about maybe customizing it!

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
I have a Fox Transfer post on my Ithaqua. I like it, however at about -10C it gets fickle about coming up the last 2".

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 11:32 Quote
teacherman wrote:
Thinking about a PNW Ranier for my Beargrease. They're on sale right now and have pretty awesome reviews. Anyone have experience?

They are awesome for fatbiking in cold. I assume you mean the PNW coil dropper?
It's coil based - so no issues with air chambers in the snowy cold. Best Fatbike dropper on market.
You will see most brands offer a coil based dropper this year - they simply just work.

My group rides with Fox, command post, RaceFace and so on. Every one of them.. EVERY one has issues in the cold. When it's 0 degrees or colder the PNW is the choice.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 23:42 Quote
I went with a PNW Rainier post. Coil spring so no replacing cartridges and all that. Easy maintenance, etc. A little heavier due to the coil spring.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 13:48 Quote
I have both PNW Raniers and Brand X Descents...….

Beside the PNW cosmetics, they appear to be identical.

Brand X frequently comes up on sale at CRC.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 15:41 Quote
I'm on my second winter using a PNW Cascade. It is coil, not air. My only nit pick with this post is that I have to use carbon paste, otherwise I need to tighten the collar too tight and the post binds.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 7:14 Quote
+1 on brandx from crc.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
yeah, everyone is saying it so i will say it too, Brand-X, just you NEED to get a new lever with it, the lever it comes with is worse than terrible

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 10:06 Quote
jaytee1000 wrote:
What is everyone using for dropper posts? Which one works best for cold weather?

I've got the gravity dropper turbo LP. don't care too much for the design, namely how the cable exits the post, but will say that it can handle the cold, i.e. 0 to 50below. little slow to come up 30below and colder, but she still works. i'll also add that the lever kinda sucks (IMO) on the gravity dropper so I swapped it out with a wolftooth remote.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
teacherman wrote:
Thinking about a PNW Ranier for my Beargrease. They're on sale right now and have pretty awesome reviews. Anyone have experience?

Have years of positive experience with PNW posts. Ranier is 27.2mm Internally Routed, Pine model is 27.2 externally routed. Both great for 2015, 16, 17, 18 Beargrease, 2019-2020 Carbon frames changed now to larger diameter posts.

PNW Loam lever when paired with a post gets discounted a bit. Like better than the Wolf Long-Travel, which I never liked.

Not affiliated with PNW, was simply exposed to their products through Mt Si team who they help with equipment, so a lot of riders hammered on these posts with no failures. Just a simple mechanical post, no air chambers to mess up.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2020 at 21:01 Quote
I have been running a one up dropper this winter and it has been nothing but fantastic!

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 7:01 Quote
Update on brand-x dropper, Got it earlier this month, was very happy with it till it got abit colder, then it slowed down quite alot... i have the ascend in 120mm, not the XL that does have a valve to adjust presure. if not it works great! realy good move on a fat bike!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015004
Mobile Version of Website