Highertower LT or Ripmo

Previous Page |
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 22:28 Quote
Hi, I can get a S build hightower LT for $4,000, I am in between minds of this or a Ripmo, for the Ripmo i would need to pay $900 more.
Once i get the bike would keep for a few years, and not plan on upgrades.

any advice, from what I read DW link is more pedal efficient and it as the DPX shock versus DPS on HTLT.

anyone have rode both, and can give an informed decision? is the Ripmo worth $900 more...

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 5:57 Quote
Might be biased as I own the ripmo, but it pedals like a dream and the bike sticks to the ground on descents unbelievably well. When you want it to get air it doesnt have any problem being playful.
I definitely think the ripmo had a better build kit too, the suspension is top notch, and the rims are the most durable I've ever ridden. I've dinged the on rock probably a dozen times so far and there isnt even a scratch on them.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 9:06 Quote
I don't have any productive input other than to say the Megatower should definitely have been called the Highertower.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 9:09 Quote
butters1996 wrote:
Might be biased as I own the ripmo, but it pedals like a dream and the bike sticks to the ground on descents unbelievably well. When you want it to get air it doesnt have any problem being playful.
I definitely think the ripmo had a better build kit too, the suspension is top notch, and the rims are the most durable I've ever ridden. I've dinged the on rock probably a dozen times so far and there isnt even a scratch on them.

Thanks. I am leaning to the Ripmo due to what I have read on the uphill peddling.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Ripmo

Thanks! Have your rode or owned both?

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 9:15 Quote
I could also get the NX Ripmo build kit for the same price as the S build Hightower LT. Main difference is it comes with NX drive train and SRAM level brakes oppose to GX and Shimano Deore. I think both breaks are only ok on the Ripmo. Thoughts on NX kit?

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 10:11 Quote
Have not ridden the Ibis. I just recently got a HTLT S build. It comes with GX, nx is junk IMO, and Code R 4 pot brakes front and rear. I find the HT to pedal very well and I came off a 110 travel Tallboy. For $500 or so you can upgrade the shock to DPX2, which is what I am getting ready to do. This bike rips downhill and pedals well uphill even out of the saddle, which surprised me. I moved all the new parts over to my TB and sold it, but waa impressed with the GX. I had NX on my 17 5010 and there is a big difference. I prefer shimano which is why I swapped.

Wish I had opportunities to ride other bikes. These look very similar.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Have not ridden the Ibis. I just recently got a HTLT S build. It comes with GX, nx is junk IMO, and Code R 4 pot brakes front and rear. I find the HT to pedal very well and I came off a 110 travel Tallboy. For $500 or so you can upgrade the shock to DPX2, which is what I am getting ready to do. This bike rips downhill and pedals well uphill even out of the saddle, which surprised me. I moved all the new parts over to my TB and sold it, but waa impressed with the GX. I had NX on my 17 5010 and there is a big difference. I prefer shimano which is why I swapped.

Wish I had opportunities to ride other bikes. These look very similar.

How do you find the DPS shock? Do you think you need the DPX2 for small bump etc?

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
I like it fine. I had the Factory version on my TB, which had another setting I could change, but this one works well enough. I won't really know how I feel about it until I swap in the DPX2. At that point, I will be able to make a valid comparison. I ran my TB dps in the mid setting and I run this one in the mid setting. I like a firmer setting.

I am looking at the dpx2 to gain adjust-ability and possibly a little more climbing firmness. I am used to a short travel bike and don't know if I will gain anything there. From talking with Fox, I may gain a little gain in climbing firmness, but everywhere else is what they say I will benefit from. Honestly, I really don't need it. But, at 50, this is my hobby, and I don't mind spending on it to keep myself occupied, interested. Been at it a long time. LOL

Put 14 miles on it today with the guy that bought my TB and while he was avoiding all the rooty and rocky sections I was hitting them, up as well as down.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 11:43 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I like it fine. I had the Factory version on my TB, which had another setting I could change, but this one works well enough. I won't really know how I feel about it until I swap in the DPX2. At that point, I will be able to make a valid comparison. I ran my TB dps in the mid setting and I run this one in the mid setting. I like a firmer setting.

I am looking at the dpx2 to gain adjust-ability and possibly a little more climbing firmness. I am used to a short travel bike and don't know if I will gain anything there. From talking with Fox, I may gain a little gain in climbing firmness, but everywhere else is what they say I will benefit from. Honestly, I really don't need it. But, at 50, this is my hobby, and I don't mind spending on it to keep myself occupied, interested. Been at it a long time. LOL

Put 14 miles on it today with the guy that bought my TB and while he was avoiding all the rooty and rocky sections I was hitting them, up as well as down.

Nice. U think If the DPS is good enough then the Hightower is a good deal. I think If I was going to pay the $500 to upgrade to the dpx2 then it's maybe the Ripmo is the way to go

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 11:54 Quote
kmuldow wrote:
gmoss wrote:

Nice. U think If the DPS is good enough then the Hightower is a good deal. I think If I was going to pay the $500 to upgrade to the dpx2 then it's maybe the Ripmo is the way to go

IDK, you said the Rip comes with NX and Level brakes? IMO, that is a downgrade from GX 12 speed and Code brakes. The other $400 difference goes halfway to buying a Factory fork....if that is your kick...

and, you get lifetime warranty with the SC and lifetime bearing replacement.

Ok, I checked their website. GX or XT at the pricepoint you are likely looking at. I have been disappointed in the XT stuff though I run it. The only reason I stay on shimano is double tap shifting down the cog and push/pull shifting down the cog. I switched to a Sunrace cassette, which improved shifting a lot and will be switching to an XTR rear der soon. I have had an XTR shifter. XT brakes have been working good, but sometimes engagement point wonders just a bit. may be bleed time. Sorry, got off topic. LOL

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
gmoss wrote:
kmuldow wrote:
gmoss wrote:

IDK, you said the Rip comes with NX and Level brakes? IMO, that is a downgrade from GX 12 speed and Code brakes. The other $400 difference goes halfway to buying a Factory fork....if that is your kick...

and, you get lifetime warranty with the SC and lifetime bearing replacement.

Ok, I checked their website. GX or XT at the pricepoint you are likely looking at. I have been disappointed in the XT stuff though I run it. The only reason I stay on shimano is double tap shifting down the cog and push/pull shifting down the cog. I switched to a Sunrace cassette, which improved shifting a lot and will be switching to an XTR rear der soon. I have had an XTR shifter. XT brakes have been working good, but sometimes engagement point wonders just a bit. may be bleed time. Sorry, got off topic. LOL

LoL- no worries appreciate the help deciding.
I can get the NX Ripmo for same prices as S build hightower LT with GX, the NX has level breaks which are def a downgrade.

Or pay $900 more and get GX ripmo. The Ripmo comes with DPX2 and same front shock as HTLT. It's as bike yoke revive dropper - it's more $ than the rock shock on the LT but don't think it makes any difference.
The GX ripmo only has shimano deore breaks so not as good as the code on the LT. So think it's a better shock, and seat position but worse breaks....

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
Ok, so they are not discounting the Ibis. For that $500 or so, you get the Factory DPX2, if you upgrade. Note that the performance version is only available on builds, not from Fox, at least looking at their website. Rock Shox has their issues, but that is a fairly inexpensive replacement down the road. I picked up a Fox Transfer just slightly used last year for $150.

To me, just looking at spend for what you get, the HT is a better value because it is obviously discounted. I got mine cheap too because the dealer is making room for the new bikes. Before they priced it, I was not really considering changing.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 20:02 Quote
I had a 2016 5010, which was super fun. I got a Ripmo in February and it does everything better than my 5010. Check out fanatik bike online. I built my Ripmo custom on there. This let's you get everything you want and nothing you don't. You might check that out to see exactly where you can shave a buck here and there and still get your best value.
The S build from SC is the way to go. I had that on my 5010 and it rocked.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009913
Mobile Version of Website