Highertower LT or Ripmo

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 17:11 Quote
50105010 wrote:
I had a 2016 5010, which was super fun. I got a Ripmo in February and it does everything better than my 5010. Check out fanatik bike online. I built my Ripmo custom on there. This let's you get everything you want and nothing you don't. You might check that out to see exactly where you can shave a buck here and there and still get your best value.
The S build from SC is the way to go. I had that on my 5010 and it rocked.

Thanks. I will check out fantatik

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 8:17 Quote
While looking at bikes last year I demo'd the Hightower, Tallboy, Ripmo, and Switchblade. I preferred the climbing of the DW suspensions. They felt a bit more efficient as well as having less pedal feedback. The VPP doesn't have as much feedback as it used to, but it's still there and can surprise you with its strength of feedback on certain hits.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 9:18 Quote
Explodo wrote:
While looking at bikes last year I demo'd the Hightower, Tallboy, Ripmo, and Switchblade. I preferred the climbing of the DW suspensions. They felt a bit more efficient as well as having less pedal feedback. The VPP doesn't have as much feedback as it used to, but it's still there and can surprise you with its strength of feedback on certain hits.

Thanks. Which bike did you end up going for?
I ride flat pedals, is the feedback strong enough to knock feet off the pedals?

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
kmuldow wrote:
Explodo wrote:

Nah. It won't knock you off the pedals. You'll just go through a patch that saps your momentum. Usually it is square-edged hits in sequence. The Bible of bikes comparison took issue with the hightower in the Arkansas edition two years back. You might try to find that video to hear them talk about it. The video savaged the bike and the print review was much nicer.

That said, there is a sense of almost no pedal feedback from the dw suspension. The Ripmo races up a hill, especially if you're standing.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
kmuldow wrote:
Explodo wrote:

The Ripmo was the best climber of the bunch and it's the one I have, but it's not the one I would have chosen for myself. I would have chosen the Switchblade. My wife surprised me with the Ripmo.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 11:03 Quote
Explodo wrote:

First thing I noticed with my HTLT is that hammering up a climb with roots is that it stays put better than my TB did, which surprised me. I can confidently stand up on climbs without concern.

May be my lack of experience riding other bikes, but I don't notice any feedback, kickback with the VPP. I rode a single pivot Superlight for a long time before this. I am curious about the Ibis, but sounds like the differences between brands is getting finer. IOW, hard to make a bad choice, at least with either of these.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 17:09 Quote
50105010 wrote:
I had a 2016 5010, which was super fun. I got a Ripmo in February and it does everything better than my 5010. Check out fanatik bike online. I built my Ripmo custom on there. This let's you get everything you want and nothing you don't. You might check that out to see exactly where you can shave a buck here and there and still get your best value.
The S build from SC is the way to go. I had that on my 5010 and it rocked.

thanks, will check it out!

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 17:10 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Explodo wrote:

First thing I noticed with my HTLT is that hammering up a climb with roots is that it stays put better than my TB did, which surprised me. I can confidently stand up on climbs without concern.

May be my lack of experience riding other bikes, but I don't notice any feedback, kickback with the VPP. I rode a single pivot Superlight for a long time before this. I am curious about the Ibis, but sounds like the differences between brands is getting finer. IOW, hard to make a bad choice, at least with either of these.

They do both seem both great bikes, especially as a one bike option, Thats what is making the decision so hard Smile

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 17:12 Quote
Explodo wrote:
kmuldow wrote:
Explodo wrote:

The Ripmo was the best climber of the bunch and it's the one I have, but it's not the one I would have chosen for myself. I would have chosen the Switchblade. My wife surprised me with the Ripmo.

Cant complain with that surprise! I havent looked into the Switchblade. I had it down to SB130, HTLT and Ripmo. So dont want to add more options Smile
Now its really between the HTLT and Ripmo.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 17:58 Quote
Explodo wrote:
kmuldow wrote:
Explodo wrote:

Explodo,

What gives the edge to the switchblade, in your opinion? Not a lot of folks have them here in Arkansas but the few that do really like them.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
50105010 wrote:
Explodo wrote:
kmuldow wrote:

Explodo,

What gives the edge to the switchblade, in your opinion? Not a lot of folks have them here in Arkansas but the few that do really like them.

When I was reaching the end of the ride on the Switchblade, I wanted to go around and do it again. I rode the same route for all the demos and it was the only bike that felt like that to me. The ability to run 2x if I want and run both 27.5x3.0 or 29x2.5 is a huge plus as I REALLY like my 27.5x3.0 High Roller IIs on a 45 internal rim at 15 psi. Big tires are finicky about rider weight, and that setup works really well for me.

I would have ended up with the switchblade if I didn't hesitate so much about the press-fit bb. By the time I had made up my mind about which bike I really wanted it was too late. I told my wife, "I've decided I want a Switchblade." and her face went a little pale and she said, "You'd be happy with any of them though, right?" I knew then that I wasn't getting a Switchblade because she'd been WAY more interested than normal about my bike chatter for months...so I suspected something was up. She had, in fact, already bought it at that point and was waiting for my birthday. I was just trying to figure out which bike I wanted to frame-swap in on my then-current bike...not buy a full new one. She went all out.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 18:36 Quote
Good woman there. My wife barely notices when they change color. Ha!

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 20:42 Quote
Bummer, man... I can see why you'd be disappointed. Well, at least you know that bike is out there. Time may give you some options to acquire a switchblade frame. And maxxis does make the high roller 2 in 29x2.5 wt...

Somehow that pressfit bottom bracket became the poison pill of the mountain bike industry. I was thinking about an sb130 but ended up discounting it completely because of the bad juju around that pressfit deal. Somebody ought to do a head to head bottom bracket shoot out to put this myth to bed.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 4:48 Quote
50105010 wrote:
Bummer, man... I can see why you'd be disappointed. Well, at least you know that bike is out there. Time may give you some options to acquire a switchblade frame. And maxxis does make the high roller 2 in 29x2.5 wt...

Somehow that pressfit bottom bracket became the poison pill of the mountain bike industry. I was thinking about an sb130 but ended up discounting it completely because of the bad juju around that pressfit deal. Somebody ought to do a head to head bottom bracket shoot out to put this myth to bed.

I won't buy a press fit BB bike for the simple reason I like to do as much of my own work as possible and I don't want to deal with it, or don't want to buy the tool to do it.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 7:50 Quote
gmoss wrote:
50105010 wrote:

I won't buy a press fit BB bike for the simple reason I like to do as much of my own work as possible and I don't want to deal with it, or don't want to buy the tool to do it.

I just buy any tool I need. I love tools. I also don't trust shops...because of bad experiences....like a ruined Intense 5.5 frame. I just needed a headset installed and the shop reamed it out so much that the headset was a drop in. I guess they glued it or something because it didn't fall out during assembly. After a few months of riding and trying to figure out what was wrong with the front end I disassembled it and figured it out. Intense was amazing about it and warrantied the front triangle for me, but that was the very last time I let a shop do ANY work for me.

As a side note, that Intense 5.5 frame was a surprise from my wife for my first father's day, almost 14 years ago. She's great!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011412
Mobile Version of Website