Ibis Ripmo or SC Hightower

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ibis Ripmo or SC Hightower
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 22:30 Quote
Hi, I can get a S build hightower LT for $4,000, I am in between minds of this or a Ripmo, for the Ripmo i would need to pay $900 more.
Once i get the bike would keep for a few years, and not plan on upgrades.

any advice, from what I read DW link is more pedal efficient and it as the DPX shock versus DPS on HTLT.

anyone have rode both, and can give an informed decision?
Getting the HTTL on $900 discount is very appealing (*as its been replaced my megatower).
would like opinion from people who owned both, or maybe had HTLT and moved to Ripmo

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 at 23:32 Quote
I demoed both twice and before the demos I was dead set on getting the LT. I think the Ripmo is better in just about every way. More fun at slower speeds, stays high in its travel until you need it. Also quicker steering.

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 0:15 Quote
kmuldow wrote:
Hi, I can get a S build hightower LT for $4,000, I am in between minds of this or a Ripmo, for the Ripmo i would need to pay $900 more.
Once i get the bike would keep for a few years, and not plan on upgrades.

any advice, from what I read DW link is more pedal efficient and it as the DPX shock versus DPS on HTLT.

anyone have rode both, and can give an informed decision?
Getting the HTTL on $900 discount is very appealing (*as its been replaced my megatower).
would like opinion from people who owned both, or maybe had HTLT and moved to Ripmo

Id go ripmo. Have 1500+ miles on a HTLT. Great bike. But dated geometry in comparison to ripmo. Also the dpx shock is worth the extra cost for sure. On a megatower now... Ripmo is more of a nimble do it all machine no doubt

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 15:53 Quote
Thanks! Haven't pulled the trigger yet as leaning to the Ripmo.
I passed up the sale on one HTLT but know another shop that has it. If they give 20+% discount might get got for a year and then move to Ripmo.
How come u went for Megatower and not the Ripmo?

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 21:08 Quote
kmuldow wrote:
I passed up the sale on one HTLT but know another shop that has it. If they give 20+% discount might get got for a year and then move to Ripmo.

I wanted a big travel bike again for the bike park here in Bend. I am lucky to have a trek remedy 9.8 for a long legged trail bike. Also I really wanted to try the new Sram AXS kit out.
Pro photo.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 18:23 Quote
nubbs wrote:
kmuldow wrote:

I wanted a big travel bike again for the bike park here in Bend. I am lucky to have a trek remedy 9.8 for a long legged trail bike. Also I really wanted to try the new Sram AXS kit out.
Pro photo.

thats a beauty! Makes sense when you have two bikes.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
Hi

I was considering these two bikes too but leaning to the ripmo. I’m 5’9” right on the boarder between medium and large. Anyone a similar size got a ripmo and what size did you go for. What do you think
Thanks

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 at 23:37 Quote
I am 5 11 and went for the large if that helps.

I did quick demo on the new hightower and would say that and the ripmo arn't miles apart. Bascally same geo, slightly different travel. Climbing on the new hightower I think was a little better, but I only spent 30 minutes on one.

The hightower is more available at the moment if you wanted a second option.

Posted: Aug 7, 2019 at 14:24 Quote
Gavwatson1 wrote:
Hi

I was considering these two bikes too but leaning to the ripmo. I’m 5’9” right on the boarder between medium and large. Anyone a similar size got a ripmo and what size did you go for. What do you think
Thanks

I borrowed a Medium Ripmo from LBS and did about 15 miles on it. Rode trails on Kokopelli, out in Fruita.

Returned it and ordered my own, a medium ... a week after the order, I started to have doubts on the size. I’m exactly 5’9” also and fall in between the sizes.

So today, went back and took out the Medium and Large Ripmo for side by side. Both had 50mm stems if I remember correctly.

Both felt great, but sitting on the bike , closing my eyes and dropping my hands on the bars, my hands fell more naturally into place, on the medium. I could run a shorter stem on the large to bring the bars in a inch or so... but in reality, the medium would fair better in what I ride, due to the factor it feels more nimble for dancing between big rocks and/or trees.

Again, both sizes felt terrific, and could get the handles closer to me ( on the large)... but I stuck with the medium since it’s easier to cut tight corners and pop up ledges.

Just my experience Wink

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 18:03 Quote
RIpmo seems to have a pretty tall standover height- how does it compare to the HT in this regard in real life?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010189
Mobile Version of Website