Best path to freeride? For a beginner who wants to pick up skills quick.

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Best path to freeride? For a beginner who wants to pick up skills quick.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 23:56 Quote
What's up you beautiful people! Ha ha. Anyway, I'm 26, raced my first enduro (local) last week on my first mtb that I've had for 2 months. Realized how uncomfortable i was in drop offs and sketchy jump sections.

I would like your advice on the best path to freeride given the following conditions.

I live in a place with 1 skatepark and no dj park.
Good street riding available and a dirt pump track coming up soon.

Will i be better suited to buy a bmx and learn tricks on the skatepark or a dj and learn tricks on the pump track? I'd like these tricks or skills to transfer to mtb. Or at least make it easier for me to ride my hardtail skillfully. Thanks.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 16:26 Quote
Don’t focus on picking up skips as fast as possible. Ride as much as possible- bmx, dj, MTB: whatever you have time to do. Concentrate on bunny hops, manuals and general bike control. The skills will come with timeline the bike. My bike control on my MTB came from years of riding bmx at skateparks, street and dirt jumps. It’s made me feel very comfortable riding MTB parks and enduro type stuff.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 18:14 Quote
You don't need a new bike. Just practice. Coming from new england where things are rocky & steep I now live in a place that is urban & flat. I ride anything that looks interesting, focusing on skills. You'll get good at crashing in the process.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 4:23 Quote
ypsilanti wrote:
You don't need a new bike. Just practice. Coming from new england where things are rocky & steep I now live in a place that is urban & flat. I ride anything that looks interesting, focusing on skills. You'll get good at crashing in the process.

I appreciate your advice, but I'm worried about using a 27.5 mtb on a skatepark. Do you use the same bike you had in New England?

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 4:28 Quote
Birchcustoms wrote:
Don’t focus on picking up skips as fast as possible. Ride as much as possible- bmx, dj, MTB: whatever you have time to do. Concentrate on bunny hops, manuals and general bike control. The skills will come with timeline the bike. My bike control on my MTB came from years of riding bmx at skateparks, street and dirt jumps. It’s made me feel very comfortable riding MTB parks and enduro type stuff.

Thanks for you opinion. I'm curious, as somebody who's done both dj and bmx, if you had to choose one bike (bmx or dj) for purposes of street and skatepark riding, which one would it be?

Especially now, knowing how both influenced your mtb riding? What advice would you give to someone who wants skills or control that's transferable to mtb?

Sorry for the many questions.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 17:38 Quote
In that case I'd go DJ. It is nice sometimes not having to worry about smashing up your mountain bike. I ride an Inspired Hex for street & skatepark. I chose the hex because it has a 26" wheels & geometry that translate to my mountain bike easier than a smaller wheel would.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 20:26 Quote
ypsilanti wrote:
In that case I'd go DJ. It is nice sometimes not having to worry about smashing up your mountain bike. I ride an Inspired Hex for street & skatepark. I chose the hex because it has a 26" wheels & geometry that translate to my mountain bike easier than a smaller wheel would.

Thanks a lot mate. After the redbull BMX vs mtb event, I'm even more convinced about choosing DJ.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/race-report-mtb-vs-bmx-red-bull-pump-track-leavenworth-2019.html

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 7:55 Quote
I wouldn't worry to much about BMX vs DJ. BMX is going to less stable and cheaper and you will have to be a bit smoother. DJ is more stable, more like an mtb. Spending time messing around on either will help your skills.

I have found that starting BMX has helped my MTB a lot and plenty of people either do both or have transferred easily to MTB.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 9:27 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
I wouldn't worry to much about BMX vs DJ. BMX is going to less stable and cheaper and you will have to be a bit smoother. DJ is more stable, more like an mtb. Spending time messing around on either will help your skills.

I have found that starting BMX has helped my MTB a lot and plenty of people either do both or have transferred easily to MTB.

Good point.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 10:57 Quote
I used to ride BMX (infrequently and poorly - I can't stress that enough). Whether you buy a DJ or a BMX, try a rigid fork: cheaper, no maintenance, and you have to be really smooth.

Learning the dramatic weight shifts required for ramps will help enormously. Don't worry about tricks, just work on getting super smooth on the ramps and seek out increasingly challenging lines and transfers. A tailwhip might impress the crowds, but it doesn't help for trail riding!

Once you can drop into a pipe or bowl, you can drop into almost anything - and you'll never find anything on the trail as demanding of weight shifts as cleanly transferring over a vertical spine.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 2:45 Quote
Defiantly go a DJ or slope style bike 26". The skills will transfer better than a bmx bike.
Also you can ride DJ bike on trails, pump track, bmx track, dh, everything basically.
Practice your basics, manuals, bunny hops, practice jumping cause that will transfer to drops and jumps and ride rocky sections to learn to handle rock gardens, keep your weight back so front end is lite and speed helps.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 19:26 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Once you can drop into a pipe or bowl, you can drop into almost anything - and you'll never find anything on the trail as demanding of weight shifts as cleanly transferring over a vertical spine.

This is part of what I imagined BMX to be really good at. Because it scares me to bits.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 19:33 Quote
Thanks y'all for your inputs. It is clear to me now. Start with a cheap BMX while I save for a decent dj in the long term. Or use just the BMX and my hardtail.

This way, like R.M.R said, I'll be forced to learn how to be smooth because of the unforgiving nature of BMX. Dropping in to bowls and transfer of lines at the skatepark is a skill I especially want to master.

Thanks again everybody. Feel free to add to the conversation if you have something you might want to add.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 19:40 Quote
Wear pads. Maybe a full-face, too. You'll feel like an overdressed nerd, but you'll be an overdressed nerd who still has all his teeth.

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 11:20 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Wear pads. Maybe a full-face, too. You'll feel like an overdressed nerd, but you'll be an overdressed nerd who still has all his teeth.

Oh well..

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026657
Mobile Version of Website