TR500 Setup Help

PB Forum :: Transition
TR500 Setup Help
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 18, 2019 at 22:36 Quote
Okay everyone!

I picked up a used Transition TR500 bike build a couple days ago and need input as to how best to set it up. Frame size is large with a 55mm length stem (stem is adjustable with its placement so it has a 55mm, 50mm, and 45mm lengths respectfully all in one stem) with 780mm handlebars that I want to say have a 30mm rise on them. Build currently has 26" wheels and fork with Schwalbe Magic Mary DH tires both front and rear. The shock was upgraded to a newer version of the Vivid coil and presently has a 600 lb spring on, although I also have a 450 lb spring as well that I could throw on. Fork is a Rockshox Boxxer World Cup.

I haven't ridden a DH on dirt for a long, long time, and I don't know what any of the dials are turned to or psi in the fork. But right now it all feels off and foreign to me. Needing some help from someone whose ridden DH a lot and can give me insight into this again. Already I'm thinking of selling or trading the 26" fork for a single crown 180mm travel 27.5" fork and swap out the "baby" wheels for 27.5" that I have also.

So the question(s) are as follows at this time...

1 - What spring rate should I use to find a baseline tune for my shock and then, match the fork to the shock?

2 - How many spacers to run underneath the crowns and/or underneath the stem?

3 - What length to run my stem at?

4 - Baseline tune for shock and fork?

5 - What else should I look at to become accustomed to my TR500, what is a safe tune or setup to ride with and then experiment with?

Pictures of the current build can all be found here.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/austenselk/album/Transition-TR500/

I rode the bike for 30 minutes or so before work on a number of dirt jumps to ride it on dirt. Checking around and I see there is variety, though I came across a number of riders who ride with 5mm or just flush with their headsets.

My body type
5'8 170 lbs 31" inseam
Aggressive, but calculated rider.

My Intense Carbine is setup on a size large frame with a 8mm headset top cap and a 10mm spacer underneath a 30mm length stem with a 48mm rise 790mm wide handlebars.

Pictures for reference.

Transition TR500 review
Transition TR500 review

Cam Zink YT Tues
Cam Zink YT Tues

photo

photo

My ride as it was setup from the previous rider I bought it from and rode around for 30 minutes on my dirt jumps.

photo

photo

photo

Just needing some good insight for a baseline to straight from and start at to make it my own.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 12:59 Quote
Rockshox Boxxer World Cup 26 settings

70psi
Compression - 3 clicks
Rebound - 11 clicks

Rockshox Vivid RC2 Coil settings with 450 lb spring

Compression - 3 clicks
Ending Rebound - 4 clicks
Beginning Rebound - 10 clicks

I also changed my stem length from the 55mm length to 50mm length.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 15:50 Quote
I also removed the spacers underneath the top crown and changed it to where now there is only the headset top cup and a 5mm spacer. I also removed all of the chainstay protectors as the frame has clear decals and the wraps, just seem like overkill.

photo

photo

photo

photo

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017261
Mobile Version of Website