What next after Fluid 24 FS

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What next after Fluid 24 FS
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 19, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
My daughter is starting to outgrow her Fluid 24 full suspension. She is 4’8” and 60lbs. We are starting to think about the next step for her.

Recommendations? Must be full suspension. Used on cross country trails mostly. She is on the lighter side, so a lightweight bike is a must.

Wondering about a xsmall frame with 26” tires.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2019 at 14:19 Quote
Giant Trance Jr. 26" maybe?

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 15:54 Quote
richulr wrote:
The Fluid 25?
The next size up in Fluid FS has 27.5" wheels. There is no 26" Fluid.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 15:55 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Giant Trance Jr. 26" maybe?
Thanks! Will take a look at that model.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 15:58 Quote
Thoughts on the Camber Grom 24/26?

O+
Posted: May 19, 2019 at 22:58 Quote
What about an adult bike from a brand that's good with sizing?

Norco is changes tubes to keep the feel consistent between sizes and they do some bikes in XXS and XS with 27.5 wheels. If your measurements are good she's just below the XS size range and it'd work through to 5'2.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 8:06 Quote
Injuredhippo wrote:
What about an adult bike from a brand that's good with sizing?

Norco is changes tubes to keep the feel consistent between sizes and they do some bikes in XXS and XS with 27.5 wheels. If your measurements are good she's just below the XS size range and it'd work through to 5'2.

Thanks! That is great advice. I'm going to take a look at those smaller models of Norco. She isn't projected to be more than 5'2" as an adult, as she is short for her age. Hopefully if we buy her a great model, it will be the last bike I need to buy... (she can buy all the bikes she wants when she has a job). Any recommendations on a bike that will last through the years? Not too concerned about budget if it is the right bike.

O+
Posted: May 20, 2019 at 16:22 Quote
I'd aim for a general purpose trail bike like the Sight or Fluid. I know a couple of people who are very happy with their Sight's.

I have a Range but it's made for descending fast and is uninspiring at medium pace or terrain. I would avoid this style of bike unless your daughter is only interested in going fast down steep and bumpy trails.

Searching the internet should highlight any glaring durability issues. I think most bikes and parts are well thought out these days so you shouldn't have an issue if the bike is being ridden sensibly and maintained. I believe the older Norco's had less than ideal derailleur attachments and linkage bolts but these issues have been sorted for a couple of years. I have heard that NX and GX don't cope as well with rock strikes as SLX, XT, or XO1. This is mainly an issue for riders who dive into rock-gardens at speed and that will always eventually cost some blood or $$$.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008521
Mobile Version of Website