Schwinn Crisscross

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Schwinn Crisscross
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 19, 2019 at 13:32 Quote
I have acquired a Schwinn Crisscros but don't know anything about it. I'm planning on fixing it up to use as a fun city cruiser. Where may I find details about this bike? It has a black Cr-Mo frame and light blue lettering. There's a stamped piece of silver metal on the head tube with the numbers 0432 and the Scwinn Quality symbol.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 13:52 Quote
I googled the bike model and from what I see its pretty much your standard late 80's / early 90's 29'er/hybrid. I have a Miyata triple cross which is basically the same type of bike. They were designed as bikes for people who liked mountain bike style controls, but didn't need the heavy over built mountain bike wheels and frames. Groupsets over time trended downwards to the lower end of the market as I guess the typical hybrid buyer didn't want to pay the big bucks for XT or LX.

I've read that these bikes influenced thinking about cyclocross designs in the following years, but I don't know how accurate it is. They typically can take a 38mm tire with fenders and a 42mm tire without. I looked at the geometry of mine and it was fairly close to the Miyata touring bikes of the day.

I've built mine up with drop bars and bar end shifters and use it as a summer commuter / light touring bike. That seems a fairly popular build. I'd consider them an 80's / 90's take on the "gravel" bike that was superseded by the cyclocross frameset.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006313
Mobile Version of Website