What should I be taking in terms of repair equipment for a trip like this?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What should I be taking in terms of repair equipment for a trip like this?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 20, 2019 at 8:40 Quote
Hi,

I'm new here, in fact I'm pretty new to all this!

I'm looking for some advice on what I should be packing in terms of repair equipment for a mountain bike trip to Dolomite's.

Basically, I came across this article http://www.wiredforadventure.com/mountain-biking-routes-dolomites and I decided to go big. Possibly not the best idea in the world, but it just looks brilliant.

So, what should I be thinking about taking out in the day with me? Apart from my puncture repair kit of course. I don't want to be too heavy on the bike, but I'm sure those of you who have done this kind of thing before will have some little gems of knowledge.

Thanks!

O+ FL
Posted: May 20, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
I have done my fair share of epic rides and trips.
If this ride is a self sufficient trip ( meaning no one transporting your gear from site to site) there are a few extras you should bring.
Pack a couple tubes, Sealant, Possibly even a spare tire, Brake pads, chain lubricant, multi tool, chain tool. If you are riding with someone you can share the load as not each one of you will need to bring this stuff as long as there are enough spares between you.

Looks like an amazing trip. I'm jealous.
Have Fun

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
Good advice from Three6ty. You may want to add:

- Spare screws. Spares are cheap, light and compact and can save you from a bad situation.
- String and/or shock cord. Zippers break, straps rip ... you never know when you need to attach something.
- First aid. Not little plasters for paper cuts; something big enough to hold you together if you rip your knee wide open. ZipStitch, for example.
- Tape. Some people use duct tape; I prefer fabric medical / rock climbing tape because it works better on skin if you need to cover a blister or hold a cut together.
- Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol). I like to have at least 15 mL per day of isopropanol on multi-day trips to splash on any part of my body that might begin to smell awful or get infected if it gets rubbed raw due to more riding than I'm used to. To be more direct: crotch, armpits, toes. Also useful as hand sanitizer.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
What you bring with you may depend on which trip you are planning, how long you'll be in the backcountry, and the condition of your bike. My basic repair kit consists of:

Multitool
2 16g CO2 and inflator
Tire plugger kit
Duct tape
Zip ties
Shift cable
Chain Ring Bolt
KMC Missing link
Tire levers

If you use clip-in pedals you'll want to bring spare cleats and bolts. A knife, RD hanger, pliers (if your multitool doesn't have pliers), emergency tire boot, in addition to the items Three6ty mentioned might be helpful.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
I haven't heard of ZipStitch before. I will need to add that to my first aid kit. I've been using super glue for that and it can get kind of messy.

R-M-R wrote:
Good advice from Three6ty. You may want to add:

- Spare screws. Spares are cheap, light and compact and can save you from a bad situation.
- String and/or shock cord. Zippers break, straps rip ... you never know when you need to attach something.
- First aid. Not little plasters for paper cuts; something big enough to hold you together if you rip your knee wide open. ZipStitch, for example.
- Tape. Some people use duct tape; I prefer fabric medical / rock climbing tape because it works better on skin if you need to cover a blister or hold a cut together.
- Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol). I like to have at least 15 mL per day of isopropanol on multi-day trips to splash on any part of my body that might begin to smell awful or get infected if it gets rubbed raw due to more riding than I'm used to. To be more direct: crotch, armpits, toes. Also useful as hand sanitizer.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 16:58 Quote
PapaGordo wrote:
I haven't heard of ZipStitch before. I will need to add that to my first aid kit. I've been using super glue for that and it can get kind of messy.

zipstitch is pretty damn expensive you can buy 3M steri strip for way way less. Not trying to knock the zipstitch, its just a damn expensive product.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008514
Mobile Version of Website