Slope style bike for dirt jumping?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Slope style bike for dirt jumping?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 20, 2019 at 13:16 Quote
So I’m a little too old/lame to be riding my high school 20 inch. Want to go for the standard DJ but been looking at these slope style bikes (p.slope and similar). Love dirt but do the occasional park and wouldn’t mind exploring trails. Any thoughts?

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 18:55 Quote
I was in the same position. Bmx was just to twitchy n small and I love having front n rear suspension. I find it feels odd jumping with just front suspension and solid rear end plus you have that bit if give if you stuff up a landing.
So I looked around and ended up going with "Canyon Stitched 720" 100mm front n rear, single speed. I'm loving it, best bike iv ever owned n iv had some top quality gear in my racing career. Plus the company is awesome to deal with n quick with shipping, info n answer's. Worth every penny of the $2800 shipped to me price. I wouldn't go any other other for jumping, flow or bmx tracks

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 15:26 Quote
If you're coming from BMX and this is your first MTB, and you're planning to ride mostly bmx style dirt jumps, pump track, and skatepark, then 26" DJ hardtail is the way to go.

If your jump spot is more of mellower MTB-built jumps, built onto MTB trails, like "flow trail" style setup, then you may want to consider a freeride hardtail, or a slope bike, like you mentioned.

If the "trail riding" you're planning on doing involves trying to keep up with guys on XC/Trail/All-Mountain bikes, then eventually you'll probably end up feeling like the super-low seat tube and singlespeed aspects of the DJ are holding you back.

I've tried a lot of different setups. It really depends on the terrain you're going to be riding.

It also depends if you're tall, and if so, how much leg extension you feel like you need for the trail riding aspects. The stand-up and mash aspect of BMX culture is good for a while (I did that when I first came from BMX), but if you're really putting in miles, then you start to want something with a taller seat tube.

However, it's not like the old days when most XC MTB's were like dirt roadie bikes, with really tall seat tubes that made jumping impossible. Now there are Trail / All-Mountain bikes with slanting-down top tubes, lower standover, dropper-posts, so that now you can jump them AND ride Trail effectively.

So, a DJ frame might have a seat tube of like 11" or 12". A freeride/Trail/All-Mountain hard tail might have like a 15"/17"/19" (S/M/L). I'm 6'1" and my freeride hardtail is the NS Surge Evo with a 17" seat tube. I still run a pretty damn long seat post in order to do long trail rides. Yet, if I drop the post down, it's jumpable. My Transition Double 4x/slope bike had like a 15" tall seat tube. It looked a little ridiculous having a maxed out post that still wasn't quite tall enough for true trail riding. But it was still fun to crank around xc trails with some berms and jumps mixed in.

One of the bikes I demo'd recently which was a pretty interesting crossover of jumpable / freeride/ Trail / All-Mountain is the Marin San Quentin. https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2019-mountain-hardtail-trail-27.5-san-quentin-3 If you're trying to spin 360s, do tailwhips, etc. etc., then that's not the bike. But, if you just want to boost jumps doing motowhips or tabletops, but also have gears to pedal.

You can see the massive difference between the seat height of a road/commuter bike and the seat height of a DJ 26". Older XC MTB's tended to be a lot closer to road bike geometry. Now they're sort of meeting in the middle (like this Kona Unit X https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Unit-X-Bike-2018-Gloss-Red-Black-Large?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3P-bhdmy4gIVCr3ACh3NPgNeEAQYASABEgIWq_D_BwE )

My Black Market Killswitch slope bike with a tall-ass 170mm dropper seatpost:

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 20:41 Quote
Thanks for all the help. I am 6’2” but plan on only keeping up with a 9 and 7 year old. Also I think being use to the bmx I won’t care too much about the seat height as I don’t see myself doing long rides outside of a rare occasion. Also our pump track really is more flow lines but do have a little of everything. I live in Tahoe and you could see where I’d like to explore out of my jumping comfort zone. Debated getting a bike for each purpose but ultimately want the suspension since I’m now in my mid 30s. Sounds like I’m looking at the right bikes. Thanks for the responses!!!

Posted: May 24, 2019 at 5:51 Quote
MyBikeSux wrote:
Thanks for all the help. I am 6’2” but plan on only keeping up with a 9 and 7 year old. Also I think being use to the bmx I won’t care too much about the seat height as I don’t see myself doing long rides outside of a rare occasion. Also our pump track really is more flow lines but do have a little of everything. I live in Tahoe and you could see where I’d like to explore out of my jumping comfort zone. Debated getting a bike for each purpose but ultimately want the suspension since I’m now in my mid 30s. Sounds like I’m looking at the right bikes. Thanks for the responses!!!

I found my Transition Double to have a better rear suspension feel than my Black Market Killswitch. It felt better at both jumping and pedaling through the woods (without as much “pedal bob”).

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 21:01 Quote
I picked up a Transition Triple ( my first mtb ) I absolutely love it. Ride pump tracks, paved trails, dirt trails. I installed a sram gx dh 7 speed set up for better all around use.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014374
Mobile Version of Website