SRAM Guide RS vs Shimano XT

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
SRAM Guide RS vs Shimano XT
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: May 21, 2019 at 1:46 Quote
Hi all,

Just bought a new enduro bike that comes with Guide RS 200mm front and 180mm back. A friend recommended me to take them off and buy Shimano XT to replace them as they are more powerful.

What are the pros and cons? Thoughts/recommendations?

Cheers

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
How about riding them and seeing if they are powerful enough for what you do?

I read lots of this 'more powerful' garbage. A brake needs to have enough power to lock the wheel on steep terrain at speed for your weight, but more importantly it needs to be controllable under the most sketchy of descents. Once you have the power you need, more power is a futile goal.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 22:38 Quote
I am interested in this also as I have a bike with SRAM Guide R brakes and even freshly bled and new pads they dont feel particularly strong. My previous bikes have been Shimano brake equipped and the instant bite seems much strong on them. SRAM has lots of modulation and for sure you're not going to accidentally lock a front wheel in the worst spot with them. Some kind of balance between the 2 would actually be nice.

Has anyone tried a mix and match of Shimano and SRAM components? Shimano master cylinder and SRAM caliper or visa - versa?

Thanks.

PS whats the difference between XT and XTR?

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 22:51 Quote
Sram uses DOT brake fluid, Shimano uses Mineral oil..So, I would guess that you cant mix and match them..

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009197
Mobile Version of Website