Anyone still riding a Kona Stinky in 2019

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Anyone still riding a Kona Stinky in 2019
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 21, 2019 at 10:49 Quote
Yo,

I've just been offered a Kona Stinky for a bargain price.

Question is, how have they held up against the test of time?

Is this still a legitimate freeride bike? Will I be able fit a dropper / wider bars / better wheels etc with ease? Is it even a bike that's even worth modern upgrades?

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
Don't all shout at once!!!

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 23:01 Quote
dhp2 wrote:
Yo,

Is this still a legitimate freeride bike? Will I be able fit a dropper / wider bars / better wheels etc with ease? Is it even a bike that's even worth modern upgrades?

Imo if you are going to do anything else than dh/freeriding, you should move your eyes away from those old dh bikes and look for modern am/enduro bikes.

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 1:04 Quote
I bought one a few months ago. Because the fork was a collectable.

They're basically scrap metal now. I'm trying to give the frame away.

Posted: May 31, 2019 at 6:48 Quote
Interestingly one just sold on eBay here in the UK for over £1,000.00 so some people must still rate them. Most of the ones advertised are £500+.

Looking at the geometry they aren't far off a modern trail bike, except for a longer rear triangle and shorter top tube. I'm guessing this would make it feel slightly more barge like and put your weight forwards when in the saddle? All the more reason to fit a dropper!

I bought that one I was offered for £100 and have already spent another £200 on it (including a dropper). Potentially foolish but I will be using it solely on local downhill trails and bike parks (with uplift).

Seems ok so far and hasn't cost me too much. I'll post some photos over the weekend.

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
Just sold my ten year old Kona Stab DH bike last week. Sad to let it go. Thing was an absolute tank, I loved it. Bombproof, it was awesome. I rode the shit out of it for years and spanked bike parks nerds on fancy whips all the time. Also when I got it, the frame was partially spray painted, so it was truly the ugliest, heaviest bike ever, but it had an amazing life.

It now lives with this dominican dude in uptown manhattan who's daily rider is an electric delivery bike with a an old shiver fork and an electric boombox wired to the frame, so who the hell knows whats gonna happen to it hahaha.

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 at 1:03 Quote
dhp2 wrote:
Yo,

Ha, my mate has an 09 stinky. heaviest non electric bike i have ever seen. bombproof.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 10:11 Quote
Yep i do , got an 09 stinky in the orange colour, i'm actually about to sell it though just because I don't really ride it all too much but jesus that thing eats up everything in its way , gave me the confidence when learning to hit everything and learned a lot from riding it but i spend too much time pushing it uphill haha

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 19:38 Quote
Just got into riding because a buddy of mine sold me his 09 stinky for a good price. It's amazing the amount of looks an old relic will get on the trails!

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 15:09 Quote
I still do and love it. Although this is my backup now, with a few modern upgrades it's still a great bike and it handles anything. Bought it new in 04' and can't imagine letting it go. The key components that got changed when they hit the scene were a clutch derailleur, 1x with narrow/wide, cheap dropper, and short stem/wide bars. It all got upgraded over time which affordably kept this thing going instead of dropping 3-5 g's on a "modern" new bike. Some people really trip out when they see it, lots of people had these as their first real bike...Aloha.

photo

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 15:13 Quote
Believe it or not, these pics are from about 2 weeks ago...stumbled upon the 2002 Boxxer and finally replaced that stupid Drop Off Triple! Here's a pic from back when I bought the bike, this might be in 2006. Kailua, Oahu, HI.

photo

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 21:08 Quote
dhp2 wrote:
Interestingly one just sold on eBay here in the UK for over £1,000.00 so some people must still rate them. Most of the ones advertised are £500+.

Looking at the geometry they aren't far off a modern trail bike, except for a longer rear triangle and shorter top tube. I'm guessing this would make it feel slightly more barge like and put your weight forwards when in the saddle? All the more reason to fit a dropper!

I bought that one I was offered for £100 and have already spent another £200 on it (including a dropper). Potentially foolish but I will be using it solely on local downhill trails and bike parks (with uplift).

Seems ok so far and hasn't cost me too much. I'll post some photos over the weekend.

Dude it'll totally rip. !!! Gravity hasn't changed in the last 10 years.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 8:24 Quote
I bought a 2006 stinky replaced coil and fork with air and single crown, added a 1x10 wider bars short stem and flat pedals and it climbes pretty well besides the weight and decends amazing

photo

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
bought a kona stinky six and should be here in two days and the hype is unreal. used to love em back when i was a kid and 10 years later returning into mtb i snatched one Big Grin cant wait to go shred whatever i see in front of me Big Grin Big Grin
il ride it till the suspension parts fail and proceed to upgrade from there Cool

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011081
Mobile Version of Website