26inch DH still valid?

PB Forum :: Downhill
26inch DH still valid?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 22, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
Is it still worth while buying a 2nd hand 26inch DH bike in this age of 27.5 and 29ers? I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand hand budget DH bike but I'm not sure if it's worth getting a 26inch nowadays? Any thoughts?

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 7:30 Quote
cazzamazz wrote:
Is it still worth while buying a 2nd hand 26inch DH bike in this age of 27.5 and 29ers? I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand hand budget DH bike but I'm not sure if it's worth getting a 26inch nowadays? Any thoughts?

Very little difference between 26 and 27.5 in terms of the way they ride. Crap resale value with 26, but that's not an issue in your position. Maybe harder to get spares, tyres etc.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 8:24 Quote
Yeah it's the DH tyre choice I'm worried about more and spare rims as well.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 8:53 Quote
If you're just getting into the sport a 26er DH is a great introduction at a reasonable price. Only caveat I would say is maybe try to find a later model where frames have advanced their geometries more similar to new DHers.... like 2011 and newer maybe. Lot of those bike are on the market already upgraded.

Tires don't seem to be a problem yet unless you absolute need the latest maxxis assegai.

26" wheel sets seem to be deeply discounted as well.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2019 at 11:38 Quote
Go for the 26" if you find a good deal. You can find deals on 27.5" now as well, but 26" is fun. I've been considering getting a 26" bike to play around on while riding park, and using my DH and enduro bike for races

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
Still very relevant though the “industry” doesn’t support it! Core riders, slope, DJ, Park riders still love and use them! I love my 26” slope bike as much as my 27.5 DH bike.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 22:44 Quote
drew2578 wrote:
If you're just getting into the sport a 26er DH is a great introduction at a reasonable price. Only caveat I would say is maybe try to find a later model where frames have advanced their geometries more similar to new DHers.... like 2011 and newer maybe. Lot of those bike are on the market already upgraded.

Tires don't seem to be a problem yet unless you absolute need the latest maxxis assegai.

26" wheel sets seem to be deeply discounted as well.

Ha no I've been riding for many years but haven't had a DH sled in a few years! I'm generally trying to look at 2012 models onwards to bear that in mind.

Posted: May 24, 2019 at 18:32 Quote
26 er is still valid and as a buyer...you rule the world!! Tires and rims can be had at blowouts on jenson, chain reaction and your LBS if they have been around for a while.
the tire bowout sales happen from time to time online, just tuck some cash aside for when they do and grab multiples for stock.
Cheers!

O+
Posted: May 24, 2019 at 19:33 Quote
You can get magic Mary's in 26. Done! I ran 26 up until the end of last season.

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 18:43 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:

This. Marys are the only tire you really need.
There´s also a lot of other designs still available in 26", even new ones get released in 26", so i don´t see a shortage of tires any time soon. Same goes for rims.
For the next ten years at least, you´ll always be able to find some if you need them.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

This. Marys are the only tire you really need.
There´s also a lot of other designs still available in 26", even new ones get released in 26", so i don´t see a shortage of tires any time soon. Same goes for rims.
For the next ten years at least, you´ll always be able to find some if you need them.

I run kenda hellkats now which I feel are better than magic Mary. They're available in 26 x 2.4 too!

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 19:50 Quote
love my 26" tr450... Bike is way more capable than i am

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 20:10 Quote
I am riding a Scott Gambler 10. Which is a 26 inch bike.

Never regretted my choice getting this bike last year.

Getting tires is not that difficult. Just get them online. Same for rims.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 1:13 Quote
Thanks dudes, minds settled and let the trawling of pinkbike ads commence!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010458
Mobile Version of Website