Fox float x2 mounting hardware for 2019 trek slash 9.9

PB Forum :: Trek
Fox float x2 mounting hardware for 2019 trek slash 9.9
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 9:56 Quote
e-loop wrote:
This is really late but for anyone doing this make sure you DO NOT get part 540756. Get two 540755 parts. I made the mistake of ordering it and do not make the same mistake. It is too short.

been having a hell of a time getting a hold of the bolts- only one shop in the region has any and they're out of stock at trek distro with no restock ETA.. i would really like to put this DHX2 onto my frame and ditch the blown stock shock, which is the second time it's gone belly up in the one year i've owned the bike.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Fox and they informed me that there are new updated part numbers:

Upper: 803-03-321
Lower: 803-03-338

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 15:09 Quote
[Quote="dcdavid12”]
- 2x TREK Shock Mount Kit - TREK Part #: 540755 (These are needed due to changing from upper and lower trunnion mount, to the usual eyelet mounting. TREK has a seperate part number for upper and lower kits, but they are the same)

I bought two of the lower kits assuming they’re the same, lower is 10mm short, I guess they’re not the same. Any knowledge on where I could get a replacement because upper kits are out of stock?

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
edruscha wrote:
e-loop wrote:
This is really late but for anyone doing this make sure you DO NOT get part 540756. Get two 540755 parts. I made the mistake of ordering it and do not make the same mistake. It is too short.

been having a hell of a time getting a hold of the bolts- only one shop in the region has any and they're out of stock at trek distro with no restock ETA.. i would really like to put this DHX2 onto my frame and ditch the blown stock shock, which is the second time it's gone belly up in the one year i've owned the bike.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Fox and they informed me that there are new updated part numbers:

Upper: 803-03-321
Lower: 803-03-338

Did you end up finding correct bolts yet? Made the same mistake of buying two lower kits

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 3:32 Quote
dcdavid12 wrote:
Just purchased and installed the X2 on my 2019 Slash 9.9. You don't need to do anything janky to get it to work.

** This will work with EVERY 2017+ Carbon Trek Slash (Not sure about alloy, but would assume it's the same)

NEEDED PARTS: (everything is in stock as of 8/22/18 unless mentioned otherwise)

- FOX X2 (I went with 230mm x 60mm to get 156.5mm of rear travel, the OEM 57.5mm will be the exact same)

- 2x TREK Shock Mount Kit - TREK Part #: 540755 (These are needed due to changing from upper and lower trunnion mount, to the usual eyelet mounting. TREK has a seperate part number for upper and lower kits, but they are the exact same)

- Upper FOX shock mounting hardware - 10mm x 60mm - FOX Part #: 803-03-231 (This should come with the shock)

- Lower FOX shock mounting hardware - 10mm x 50mm (offset spacers) - FOX Part #: 803-03-228 or TREK Part #: 525244 (This can be ordered through a TREK dealer, however they are currently out of stock at TREK, but you can call FOX directly as they have them in stock)

INSTALLATION:

- Press the 10mm x 60mm shock hardware into the top (piggyback end) of the shock.

- Press the 10mm x 50mm shock hardware into the lower (air can end) of the shock. The shorter black spacer goes on the driveside, and longer on the non-drive.

- Mount lower end of the shock as I've found it easier to get the lower mounted before the upper. Use the same black lower shock bearing spacers that the OEM shock uses and mount the shock with the new bolt kit.

- Mount upper end of the shock. The upper won't require any of the OEM spacers, the 60mm FOX mounting hardware fits into the rocker link on its own.

- Congratulate yourself on ridding your bike of the ass OEM shock

I hope this was clear enough, feel free to DM if you have any questions.

Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 20:03 Quote
hey buddy thanks for posting this..it was helpful..but may i ask a question...everything is sold out but 230 x65mm would that fit the 2019 slash 9.8?? could i take the 65 out and put the oem 57.5 in??? i have no idea and it is hard to find a proper instructions...thanks

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
@ Joshie83

If my math is correct, installing a shock with a stroke length of 65mm will increase the rear travel to 169.6mm. With that being nearly 20mm over stock, I’d imagine you’re going to encounter major bottom out issues.

I haven’t personally shimmed the stroke length of an X2 before, but with tools it isn’t too bad of a procedure.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=682

On step 10 of that Fox instruction, you’ll see the travel/volume spacer. That is what you’re going to need to change or shim by 5mm or 7.5mm depending on what final stroke length you want.

I hope I understood your question, reply back with any questions and I’ll try to help out!

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 13:11 Quote
pinkrobe wrote:
I'm going to post up what worked for me. Note that this is a bit of a bodge/hack, so try it at your own risk.

I have a 2020 Fox Float X2 going into a 2018 Trek Slash 9.8 [2018, 2019 and 2020 Trek Slash frames all use the same hardware, as far as I can tell].
The X2 comes with 10mm diameter bushings. Mine came pre-installed. I mounted the shock with the adjustments and piggyback at the top.

The spacing for the upper shock mount is 59.5mm, so let's call that a tight [yo] 60mm.
The spacing for the lower shock mount is ~55mm.

You will need two [2] of the Trek part #540755 - Suspension Part Trek Upper Shock Mount Kit 2017 Black it's basically a pivot bolt set with some blue loctite on it.
You will need two [2] of the Trek part #524244 - Suspension Part Fox Rear Shock Hardware 50 mm x 10 mm [this consists of a steel shaft that goes through the shock bushings plus the offset spacers]
You will need extra spacers as well:
* 3 x 2.5mm thick spacers with ID of 10mm
* 1 x 5mm thick spacers with ID of 10mm

The bottom mount requires one 2.5mm spacer on each side of the 50mm steel shaft [2.5mm + 2.5mm + 50mm = 55mm] plus one of the upper shock mount kits.
I installed the upper mount with the short offset spacer and one 2.5mm spacer on the non-drive side. The long offset and 5mm spacer are on the drive side. You will need to jimmy that 5mm spacer in there. Don't get mad when that little ****** doesn't want to go, much less line up with the pivot bolt hole. Just work it in, take your time.

You might be wondering why it's such a tight fit, given that the 50mm shaft + 5mm + 2.5mm = 57.5mm of hardware length, and the spacing is 59.5mm. Well, on the piggyback end of the shock, the spacers plus shock bushing combo is actually ~52.5mm wide, so it's snug with the 2.5mm and 5mm spacers in there.

It's worth mentioning that Katy Winton's Slash + X2 uses a different, narrower, shock eyelet bushing than the current X2. Maybe that's where the extra width comes from.
katy Winton s trek Slash

Regardless, this is what worked for me. YMMV.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 13:13 Quote
Hello sir thanks for all the help !
This help me a lot !
Can you telle me where you find the spacer ?
2,5mm and
5mm ?
For the rear shock
Thanks
I hope a answer... :/

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 16:18 Quote
What size spring did you order for the 230x60 shock?

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 23:41 Quote
I have a Fox X2 on my 2018 Slash 9.9. I noticed that there is a spacer in the shock reducing the stroke to 57.5. I'm thinking of removing it. Good idea or bad idea?

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 7:54 Quote
Verbl-Kint wrote:
I have a Fox X2 on my 2018 Slash 9.9. I noticed that there is a spacer in the shock reducing the stroke to 57.5. I'm thinking of removing it. Good idea or bad idea?

Totally fine. I ran a 60mm stroke X2 on my slash for a year+ and many others have too. Honestly don’t know if I could notice the small amount extra travel but it worked great regardless.

Posted: Sep 24, 2022 at 8:16 Quote
dcdavid12 wrote:
Verbl-Kint wrote:

Totally fine. I ran a 60mm stroke X2 on my slash for a year+ and many others have too. Honestly don’t know if I could notice the small amount extra travel but it worked great regardless.

Thanks! I measured the stroke and it is now 62.5mm (it was a 5mm spacer). That makes it just a tad over 160mm.

I let all the air out and fully compressed the shock and it looks like there isn't any inadvertent contact or rubbing going on. Time to ride it and see if there is any need to change settings on the shock.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030866
Mobile Version of Website