Short-travel, do it all Frame

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Short-travel, do it all Frame
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 24, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
I am the proud owner of a 2017 Rocky Mountain Slayer, however I've recently been feeling like it might be time to change things up a little and get a new frame. I bought the Slayer as my first full-suss bike and my dream rig, and while it's an amazing bike, I'm not pushing it near its limits- even on a recent trip to Pisgah, I still had travel left front and rear after each run, and none of that stuff is smooth. I'd like to get a shorter travel frame that would suit my more typical local rides (aggressive XC/trail) while still being good to hit jump lines, bike parks, and the occasional bigger day out, as well as being more durable (read:alloy) so that I can attempt the more irresponsible, limit-pushing things I never want to try on my Slayer for fear of damaging the carbon. Right now I'm looking at the Transition Scout, Santa Cruz 5010 (this is the frontrunner because I really love watching what the 50:01 guys do on these bikes) and the Knolly Endorphin. Given that I'll likely not have many chances to try these bikes out, what would you guys say on the matter?

P.S: If anyone's interested in a RM Slayer frame, size L, in good condition, HMU

Posted: May 24, 2019 at 16:35 Quote
Hey, I am out toward the foothills of NC and have ridden here and in the mountains since the early 2000's. Back then, we had to ride all that "all mtn" stuff on 4" travel bikes. haha

Anywho, been on Santa Cruz all that time, though taking a hiatus for several years. I got back into riding a few years ago to build my strength back after a neck injury. Rode a Superlight but recently started back on the 5010 in 2017, then to a carbon Tallboy, and now to a Hightower LT.

I don't ride much out east, but am familiar with what you likely ride. Be glad to answer any specific questions you have and if you come out this way, glad to meet you if you want to check out the HT.

Posted: May 24, 2019 at 17:09 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Hey, I am out toward the foothills of NC and have ridden here and in the mountains since the early 2000's. Back then, we had to ride all that "all mtn" stuff on 4" travel bikes. haha

Anywho, been on Santa Cruz all that time, though taking a hiatus for several years. I got back into riding a few years ago to build my strength back after a neck injury. Rode a Superlight but recently started back on the 5010 in 2017, then to a carbon Tallboy, and now to a Hightower LT.

I don't ride much out east, but am familiar with what you likely ride. Be glad to answer any specific questions you have and if you come out this way, glad to meet you if you want to check out the HT.

I appreciate your response. I'm definitely looking to stay 27.5 because I'd like to just swap all the parts off the slayer onto whatever other frame I get. I guess my main concern is getting a bike with the pedaling efficiency to make riding the flatter trails around here fun but that doesn't get all bent out of shape riding some of the bike park/freeride trail stuff I also like to ride occasionally. I also do a fair amount of street riding so something durable is definitely necessary

Posted: May 24, 2019 at 17:41 Quote
I figured, but at least you could get a feel of how it pedaled. I was pleasantly surprised coming from the Tallboy. I know you are leaning toward aluminum, but if going new, SC has a lifetime warranty on their frames, and lifetime bearing replacement. Just a thought. 5010 is a fun bike, and capable. Put a dpx2 or different shock on it and it will handle a lot.

Posted: May 24, 2019 at 18:35 Quote
Short-travel aggro 27.5 is going the way of the buffalo, though it's still my favourite kind of bike.

I've never ridden a 5010, but it looks like a great option. The new Thunderbolt gets great reviews.

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 4:53 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
Short-travel aggro 27.5 is going the way of the buffalo, though it's still my favourite kind of bike.

I've never ridden a 5010, but it looks like a great option. The new Thunderbolt gets great reviews.

My favourite kind of bike too - not sure what availability is like in the US, but the Orange Four may fit the bill.

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 6:02 Quote
lewiscraik wrote:
Adamrideshisbike wrote:

My favourite kind of bike too - not sure what availability is like in the US, but the Orange Four may fit the bill.

I have heard good things about the orange, the looks however seem to be a bit of an acquired taste. I'll look into it!

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 8:21 Quote
5010 is awesome, I highly recommend it. Its surprisingly capable on technical descents for how efficient and playful it is. I recommend boosting the fork travel a bit, could be an easy swap if you have a Fox 36 or similar on your current bike.

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 9:09 Quote
aerosxl wrote:
lewiscraik wrote:
Adamrideshisbike wrote:

I have heard good things about the orange, the looks however seem to be a bit of an acquired taste. I'll look into it!

I am probably biased, but I like it!

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 16:09 Quote
"I still had travel left front and rear after each run"

You just need to get your suspension set-up correctly. The non-use of travel isn't because there isn't anything worthy of the travel, it's because you have it set-up too stiff and/or with too much progression. You should be setting up your bike for your terrain and how you ride, not for some eventual future speed and gnar that's never going to happen.

Switching to a smaller travel bike with the same set-up philosophy just means you'll end up using less of less travel. Smaller travel bikes aren't softer or have less progression... generally they are the opposite of that. Your biggest hit should use all your travel no matter what bike you're on.

Front = Do you have any tokens installed? if so, take some out. And lower your pressure, start with more sag.
Rear = Do you have spacers installed? If so, swap out to a smaller one or take them out. Start with a lower pressure and more sag.

You should be using 85 to 90% of your travel on your local rough terrain most rides. That last little bit is reserved for big and/or emergency hits. If you're ending up with too much sag then you need to get a custom tune that more closely matches your weight/style of riding/terrain... a new bike won't change that, you'd need it on a new bike as well... and is much cheaper than a new bike. As you get faster/gnarlier.. you can add pressure & progression to suit.

Watch some suspension set-up vids and/or get your local shop to help you out.

Saying all that, switching to a shorter travel bike is a whole different can of worms... I myself live and ride on the west coast of BC and ride very rough terrain with the odd fun enduro race. I ride a 135/160 and love it. I like shorter travel because it tends to be more poppy, lively and wallows less in the travel. It's a bit of a different style of riding = monster trucking vs more line picking and being lighter on the bike. On my new bike with a new fork and shock I've never used, it took me a good 10 rides before I was happy with my pressures/tokens/spacers/travel.

Anyway, once you're suspension is sorted, then make decisions from there... not saying don't switch to a small travel bike, just saying get your current bike sorted first, know you're suspension set-up, then demo some short travels with your set-up and see how you make out.

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 21:42 Quote
lewiscraik wrote:
aerosxl wrote:
lewiscraik wrote:

I am probably biased, but I like it!

It's beautiful.

+1 for the short/mid travel trail bike. Riding a Santa Cruz nickel 26er fork boosted 150 and long shocked to 140. Climbs pretty good and so much fun going down and hitting features.
The 5010 is probably going to be my next bike. Ooh that mauve color is sultry sweet... Demo the bike if you can.

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 23:40 Quote
islandforlife wrote:
"I still had travel left front and rear after each run"

You just need to get your suspension set-up correctly. The non-use of travel isn't because there isn't anything worthy of the travel, it's because you have it set-up too stiff and/or with too much progression. You should be setting up your bike for your terrain and how you ride, not for some eventual future speed and gnar that's never going to happen.

Switching to a smaller travel bike with the same set-up philosophy just means you'll end up using less of less travel. Smaller travel bikes aren't softer or have less progression... generally they are the opposite of that. Your biggest hit should use all your travel no matter what bike you're on.

Front = Do you have any tokens installed? if so, take some out. And lower your pressure, start with more sag.
Rear = Do you have spacers installed? If so, swap out to a smaller one or take them out. Start with a lower pressure and more sag.

You should be using 85 to 90% of your travel on your local rough terrain most rides. That last little bit is reserved for big and/or emergency hits. If you're ending up with too much sag then you need to get a custom tune that more closely matches your weight/style of riding/terrain... a new bike won't change that, you'd need it on a new bike as well... and is much cheaper than a new bike. As you get faster/gnarlier.. you can add pressure & progression to suit.

Watch some suspension set-up vids and/or get your local shop to help you out.

Saying all that, switching to a shorter travel bike is a whole different can of worms... I myself live and ride on the west coast of BC and ride very rough terrain with the odd fun enduro race. I ride a 135/160 and love it. I like shorter travel because it tends to be more poppy, lively and wallows less in the travel. It's a bit of a different style of riding = monster trucking vs more line picking and being lighter on the bike. On my new bike with a new fork and shock I've never used, it took me a good 10 rides before I was happy with my pressures/tokens/spacers/travel.

Anyway, once you're suspension is sorted, then make decisions from there... not saying don't switch to a small travel bike, just saying get your current bike sorted first, know you're suspension set-up, then demo some short travels with your set-up and see how you make out.

That’s the best advice your going to get on this thread........

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 at 4:04 Quote
2019 Giant Trance 29er is amazing . I also own a long travel Reign. The Trance is better on everything except the absolute roughest and steepest trails. Just my 2 cents though

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013215
Mobile Version of Website