Looking for new hardtail... What do i do?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Looking for new hardtail... What do i do?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 25, 2019 at 20:32 Quote
So, I'm getting to the point where my full stiffy Raleigh Legend isn't taking my local trails very well, so I'm looking to upgrade to a hardtail. I'm looking at two options as of now.
A: Kona Honzo, retail $1,899.
B: Giant Fathom 29 1, $1,899.
I'm looking for opinions on either, and why one might be better, or if I should even get a cheaper one and upgrade as I go.

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 20:47 Quote
I’d recommend the honzo. But have you thought about looking at the Marin san quentin? The san Quentin 2 goes for $1649.99 and the san Quentin 3 goes for $2399.99. It’s a great bike that can handle some seriously gnarly stuff

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 20:36 Quote
I would definitely go for the Honzo. From my experience, Kona makes better frames and they ride better too.

The newer Giant bikes always felt flimsy and lacked feel to me. My friend has a Giant Fathom 27.5 and its a great bike for the price he paid I think $1200, but it just doesn't feel sturdy as other frames. Also the rear axle on the Fathom is bullish*t. Its like QR boost some random unique size, good luck getting a new rear hub.

If I was you I would probably get a used Santa Cruz Chameleon for $1800. I picked up a used lightly used 2007 model recently for $500 and it rides way better than the new entry level stuff at the store.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 18:40 Quote
I ride a trek roscoe 8 and dig it for 1200 but at your price point I would have gotten a chameleon too.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 18:50 Quote
Both are above average bikes for their price, but if it was my money, I'd chose the Fathom 1. Why?

First I prefer Shimano SLX to SRAM DX. The shifting is so much better.

Second. The Suntour Axon fork is superior to the RockShox Recon.

Third. The Giant comes equipped with Acera brakes. Those are better than the Honzo's Tourney offerings.

Fouth. The Fathom's Maxxis Ardent tires are better than the WTB Rangers.

And finally, I prefer the way the Giant looks.

Wheels are pretty much equal as are the stem, handlebars, and cranks.

Again, both are good bikes and neither manufacturer cheaped out and have equipped both bikes with dropper posts but the Giant stomps all over the Kona in bang for the buck.

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 4:49 Quote
DHhedge wrote:
I’d recommend the honzo. But have you thought about looking at the Marin san quentin? The san Quentin 2 goes for $1649.99 and the san Quentin 3 goes for $2399.99. It’s a great bike that can handle some seriously gnarly stuff

My mate recently got a San Quentin 2 and it is a great bike!

Posted: May 31, 2019 at 15:59 Quote
lewiscraik wrote:
DHhedge wrote:

My mate recently got a San Quentin 2 and it is a great bike!

This reminds me of when I test rode the Marin Hardtails. They rode very nicely for the price. My same friend with the Giant Fathom had some buyers regret when he threw a leg over the Marin. This bike was the Nail Trail, the frame quality seemed pretty good and it had a through axle rear.

+1 for Marin

Posted: May 31, 2019 at 21:13 Quote
i am also currently runing on a Marin san quentin 2. i suggest you get that. your extra money can be spent on upgrades. dropper post, forks, group set, and anything carbon Smile

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009466
Mobile Version of Website