Santa cruz ,Kona or Gaint? what your thoughts?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Santa cruz ,Kona or Gaint? what your thoughts?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 26, 2019 at 13:03 Quote
Hey PinkBike,

so I am in the market for a new ride I currently have a used nomad V1 nice bike but need some love and it's more of a DH bike than I need.

my GF just got a bike so not much DH in my future but I still would like a bike that can handle a healthy dose of it if the time comes. so the classic "all mountain" bike for me. I live in the rocky mountains in the US so lost of variety of trails form DH to XC

my budget in around 3K . looking at alum. as I dont trust myself with carbon frames and there out of my price point anyway. + no warrenty for buying used...

so the bikes I am thinking about are: all 27.5 my sweet spot

Giant trace 2 -$2900 and over good value for the price point + comes with a dropper I believe.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-2

Kona process 153 alum. $2999 the most travel in the group.
https://www.konaworld.com/process_153_275.cfm

canyon Neuron al 7.0 $2600 a smaller travel bike just not sure if it will be gnarly enough should the need come up I do like in the rocky's so lots of up and downs with rock gardens on the trail. nice price point and specs tho.

Santa cruz branson V3 -$3500 at the top of my list and price is this beauty. it's over budget not even including peddles and dropper. but might be the best all around bike out there? or is that just marketing and the higher price tags of the name?

also on the short list was the SC 5010 but ruled it out for the short travel so guess the canyon should be too..

would love to hear your thoughts on this. and if there are any other bikes I should be thinking about.
cheers,
D

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
I haven’t ridden the Bronson or Neuron, but have ridden the Carbon DL Process 153 and Trance 2 a little bit on flats. Based on reading the reviews and comparing myself, the Bronson and Process 153 are burlier bikes than the Trance and most likely Neuron. I would think the Spectral is the more appropriate bike to compare from Canyon. I can’t get myself to buy a Canyon no matter how good the deal is, because of the crappy customer service stories I have read about.

I would shorten that list down to the Kona or Bronson if I were in your shoes. Thats a good short list for playful but capable all mtn bikes.

If you want 29 wheels, obviously you gotta go Kona. I hate how santa cruz doesnt offer the Megatower or Hightower LT in alloy, because I would buy that bike. The Santa cruz will be of higher quality and fit and finish, with the best customer service around, however $3500 for such a basic build is slightly off putting. The customer service may be worth it to you though.

The second I got on the Process 153 I felt immediately at home, and it seemed like one of the most balanced bikes I have ever ridden. I like short chainstays with a long reach though. I didn’t get to ride it hard, so take that with a grain of salt. Kona seems to have really stepped up on the quality of their frames, and the stiffness, and I am highly impressed with how the post 2018 bikes came out versus the 2014-2017 bikes.

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 14:26 Quote
Trance would work, but may feel a little out of place on rougher trails.

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 15:14 Quote
Have ridden the trance and pretty much every giant, (used to work at a trek and giant dealer) and never was too excited by any of them. Not bad bikes but a bit bland. Wouldn't recommend the trance for much more than trail and bit of enduro. I'd imagine the neuron to be similar to the anthem, quite a sketchy bike on anything other than single track, dodgy riding position. I recently bought a new bike, I went with the Kona process 153 27.5 AL from 2018 even though I worked at a trek and giant dealer a t th time and would have gotten a good deal. However the Kona was so much more fun to ride. Love the bike, if you have any questions about the Kona feel free to ask. As for the Bronson, can't say as I've never ridden one, but Santa Cruz generally seem to be pretty good, ut don't k ow if they're worth the extra money?

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 19:14 Quote
EliasFritzen wrote:
Have ridden the trance and pretty much every giant, (used to work at a trek and giant dealer) and never was too excited by any of them. Not bad bikes but a bit bland. Wouldn't recommend the trance for much more than trail and bit of enduro. I'd imagine the neuron to be similar to the anthem, quite a sketchy bike on anything other than single track, dodgy riding position. I recently bought a new bike, I went with the Kona process 153 27.5 AL from 2018 even though I worked at a trek and giant dealer a t th time and would have gotten a good deal. However the Kona was so much more fun to ride. Love the bike, if you have any questions about the Kona feel free to ask. As for the Bronson, can't say as I've never ridden one, but Santa Cruz generally seem to be pretty good, ut don't k ow if they're worth the extra money?

I will look more it to the Kona process 153 it's the same price as the trace 2. I think my local goaint dealer is a kona dealer to so maybe I can go kick the tires.

I love santa cruz also thinking of the 5010 to the list its a pretty capable little bike. just wish it was a tad bit more travel.
watching reviews as I type this Big Grin

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 19:24 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:

do you think the longer travel of the trace 2 at 150 would be better that a shorter travel bike like the SC 5010 @130?

better bike shorter travel or more travel on a lesser bike?

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 23:28 Quote
Deva wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

do you think the longer travel of the trace 2 at 150 would be better that a shorter travel bike like the SC 5010 @130?

Ehhh. Idk. I'd buy a 5010 in a heartbeat if it was slightly cheaper. Trance vs 5010 is a hot debate with multiple right answers. No doubt the 5010 has the stiffer frame, if that's what you like. I like that, and I like the upper link VPP slightly better than Maestro for uphill out of the seat mashing when I'm in shape and crushing climbs and will trade feeling some pedal feedback for speed boost pump ability, but am still probably going to go Trance 3 and make my own custom Trance SX with Float X2 and 160mm 36. Simply because I can buy the trance for almost $1000 less and use that to taylor it to my riding style.

I would spend more for the Bronson or Process 153 if I were you, and still upgrade as you go. I only want a trance/5010 because I already have a dh and enduro bike. The Bronson and Process will do it all for you as one bike.

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 23:37 Quote
You live in Jackson Hole? The Process 153 and Bronson would be perfect for Teton Pass, as well as Targhee and JH MTB parks and should still be able to mess around at slow speeds with your girl.

O+ FL
Posted: May 27, 2019 at 7:17 Quote
I have a 2015 trance 2, it's a great all around bike and I've even raced it in an enduro race. I live in Flagstaff az so there's a lot of variety in the trails and I will say on some of the more difficult trails I find myself wanting something a bit more forgiving. It can handle it but something with a little more travel would do you some good if you are going to be pushing it on some dh. I've been trying to save my pennies myself to add a more enduro style bike to my collection and the 153 made my sort list as well. If you are willing to go mail order maybe check out the Capra if you haven't already.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 8:42 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
You live in Jackson Hole? The Process 153 and Bronson would be perfect for Teton Pass, as well as Targhee and JH MTB parks and should still be able to mess around at slow speeds with your girl.

yup Jackson hole as you said I need a bike that can handle Teton pass the bike parks as and pedal around with the GF
the bronson was and is my 1st choice just needed to justify the $$

that said not ruling out the Kona tho

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
munney wrote:
I have a 2015 trance 2, it's a great all around bike and I've even raced it in an enduro race. I live in Flagstaff az so there's a lot of variety in the trails and I will say on some of the more difficult trails I find myself wanting something a bit more forgiving. It can handle it but something with a little more travel would do you some good if you are going to be pushing it on some dh. I've been trying to save my pennies myself to add a more enduro style bike to my collection and the 153 made my sort list as well. If you are willing to go mail order maybe check out the Capra if you haven't already.

nice I love flagstaff! sounds like alot of the same riding trails. I agree from what I have read the trace 2 does seem like a nice all around bike. but for a few more hundred I think the Bronson might be a "better" choice that way I know 100% it's not the bike and it me if I suck A$$ haha

dont want to be in Moab or elsewhere going down the trails and worrying if the bike can handle it.

thanks for the feedback.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2019 at 11:20 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Deva wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

Ehhh. Idk. I'd buy a 5010 in a heartbeat if it was slightly cheaper. Trance vs 5010 is a hot debate with multiple right answers. No doubt the 5010 has the stiffer frame, if that's what you like. I like that, and I like the upper link VPP slightly better than Maestro for uphill out of the seat mashing when I'm in shape and crushing climbs and will trade feeling some pedal feedback for speed boost pump ability, but am still probably going to go Trance 3 and make my own custom Trance SX with Float X2 and 160mm 36. Simply because I can buy the trance for almost $1000 less and use that to taylor it to my riding style.

I would spend more for the Bronson or Process 153 if I were you, and still upgrade as you go. I only want a trance/5010 because I already have a dh and enduro bike. The Bronson and Process will do it all for you as one bike.

Do they make an X2 to fit the Trunnion mount 185mm eye-to-eye? (Preferably in a 55 stroke for a few extra mm of travel) I haven't seen anything on their website and within the next year or two I plan to get a better shock for my bike, so far I'm thinking between the DPX2, Super Deluxe, and DVO Topaz 2, although I love the look of the X2

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 10:37 Quote
Nope, you are correct, they don't offer a production run on that size. Doh! I thought I had seen some in that size before, but after more research it seems like that size needs to be custom ordered from Fox. Which probably means a lot more money.

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 20:38 Quote
I've demoed the Kona Process 153 CR/DL 29er a couple times now and it's my favorite so far of all the bikes I've demoed. It's remarkably fun and playful but it's got the travel for the big stuff. Was really impressed with it's climbing too. PB's review of it is pretty dang accurate to my experience so far. I'd still like to ride the Offering, but the Process is my favorite so far.

Check this new vid of the process ripping. I really enjoyed it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JCDFMUawpsY

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008986
Mobile Version of Website