Which helmet should I get for DH

PB Forum :: Downhill
Which helmet should I get for DH
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: May 26, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
I am looking for a downhill certified helmet for jumps at my local but I also have a decent sized ride to the jumps. I was wondering whether I should get a TLD d3 as a complete full face as I already have a trail helmet or to get a bell super DH so I can detach the chinbar.
Thanks

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
Have you looked at the Fox Proframe? It has dh certifications and is very breathable due to the large open vents

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 14:54 Quote
stuffy1122 wrote:
Have you looked at the Fox Proframe? It has dh certifications and is very breathable due to the large open vents

Yeah I have tried one on but it never seemed to fit me correctly in either size

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
Leatt DBX 4.0 also has a nice amount of vents, not as much as the Fox Proframe though

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 15:14 Quote
Oli-T1609 wrote:
I am looking for a downhill certified helmet for jumps at my local but I also have a decent sized ride to the jumps. I was wondering whether I should get a TLD d3 as a complete full face as I already have a trail helmet or to get a bell super DH so I can detach the chinbar.
Thanks

Get a proper full face, not one of those detachable lids.

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 20:21 Quote
Oli-T1609 wrote:
I am looking for a downhill certified helmet for jumps at my local but I also have a decent sized ride to the jumps. I was wondering whether I should get a TLD d3 as a complete full face as I already have a trail helmet or to get a bell super DH so I can detach the chinbar.
Thanks

Those Full Face helmets with a detachable chinbar are most of the time not DH certified.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 4:55 Quote
Tripmo wrote:
Oli-T1609 wrote:
I am looking for a downhill certified helmet for jumps at my local but I also have a decent sized ride to the jumps. I was wondering whether I should get a TLD d3 as a complete full face as I already have a trail helmet or to get a bell super DH so I can detach the chinbar.
Thanks

Those Full Face helmets with a detachable chinbar are most of the time not DH certified.

The bell super duh is though which is why it was on my list

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 4:55 Quote
DuelingBanjos wrote:
Oli-T1609 wrote:
I am looking for a downhill certified helmet for jumps at my local but I also have a decent sized ride to the jumps. I was wondering whether I should get a TLD d3 as a complete full face as I already have a trail helmet or to get a bell super DH so I can detach the chinbar.
Thanks

Get a proper full face, not one of those detachable lids.

Alright thanks

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 4:57 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Leatt DBX 4.0 also has a nice amount of vents, not as much as the Fox Proframe though

I will consider that thank youi

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 10:09 Quote
Do some research on the criteria for dh certification.
As far as i remember, they do NOT test the chinbar for that rating or something like that.
If you don´t know what they are testing for, a certification label is worthless.

If i was going for some detachable chinbar, i´d go for the Giro one most likely. The construction does look a lot sturdier than any competitor.
TLD also has a FF with lots of ventilation you might wanna check out, though i personally would go for a D3 and simply pull out the cheek pads for the pedally bit as a lot of enduro racers do/did.
In a D3 with cheek pads you´re not diyng of heatstroke that fast and with the pads removed, a lot more air get to your head, so you should be more than fine for easy pedalling and can enjoy supreme protection on the trail.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 16:59 Quote
Oli-T1609 wrote:
Tripmo wrote:
Oli-T1609 wrote:
I am looking for a downhill certified helmet for jumps at my local but I also have a decent sized ride to the jumps. I was wondering whether I should get a TLD d3 as a complete full face as I already have a trail helmet or to get a bell super DH so I can detach the chinbar.
Thanks

Those Full Face helmets with a detachable chinbar are most of the time not DH certified.

The bell super duh is though which is why it was on my list

If you decide to do racing, here many dh races forbid those with a detachable chinbars.
Keep that in mind.

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 9:07 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Do some research on the criteria for dh certification.
As far as i remember, they do NOT test the chinbar for that rating or something like that.
If you don´t know what they are testing for, a certification label is worthless.

If i was going for some detachable chinbar, i´d go for the Giro one most likely. The construction does look a lot sturdier than any competitor.
TLD also has a FF with lots of ventilation you might wanna check out, though i personally would go for a D3 and simply pull out the cheek pads for the pedally bit as a lot of enduro racers do/did.
In a D3 with cheek pads you´re not diyng of heatstroke that fast and with the pads removed, a lot more air get to your head, so you should be more than fine for easy pedalling and can enjoy supreme protection on the trail.

The d3 was an option and I think that is the one I will invest in thank you

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 10:40 Quote
There´s also a new model with detachable chinbar from sweet protection which looks really sturdy.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015147
Mobile Version of Website