2019 Bronson R VS S build?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
2019 Bronson R VS S build?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 28, 2019 at 16:00 Quote
Hey SC fans,
what's your thoughts on the the 2019 Bronson "R" build Vs the "S" build I was all set on the base but got to talking to the guys a the bike dealer and he suggested the the S build as it's only 700ish more. uggg

the problem is my budget was 3K pushing it to 3.4K was a stretch but now I am looking at 4K.

so million dollar question is the S spec build that much better than the R and worth the $$?

O+
Posted: May 28, 2019 at 16:25 Quote
Depends on your priorities. The R build could suit your needs comparably to S because many of the better parts for the S build are wear and tear parts that will eventually be replaced (drivetrain) or parts you may replace anyway due to geo preference (stem, seatpost). If you get the NX drivetrain though, you will need to change your freehub body down the road if you want to upgrade within Eagle. Some of the S vs R parts are just better parts, like the Code vs Guide brakes and (in my opinion) Fox 36 over the Yari. You could put the new RockShox damper in the Yari to effectively convert it to the higher end model down the road (same goes for the the GRIP2 damper in the Fox 36 though). At this price point the Carbon R build should also come into the picture for $200 more, if a carbon frame is important to you. If it were me, I would wait, get a couple hundred more dollars together, get the carbon R, then upgrade things as needed down the road. At the end of the day it just depends on your needs; for example, my girlfriend has an R build Strega and couldn't tell the difference between a Yari vs 36 or Guide vs Code brakes. It works just fine for her, but I know I need more.

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 19:51 Quote
I did not like nx, but the gx was not bad on my new HTLT. Crj5 pretty much covered it. To me, the expensive bits to replace if you don't like are susp and wheels. Drivetrain will wear.

With new models coming soon, some dealers are making deals on invetoried items. I got a really good deal so I ended up buying sooner than I planned.

If the carbon is only a couple hun more, I would definitely consider it.

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 21:39 Quote
crj5 wrote:
Depends on your priorities. The R build could suit your needs comparably to S because many of the better parts for the S build are wear and tear parts that will eventually be replaced (drivetrain) or parts you may replace anyway due to geo preference (stem, seatpost). If you get the NX drivetrain though, you will need to change your freehub body down the road if you want to upgrade within Eagle. Some of the S vs R parts are just better parts, like the Code vs Guide brakes and (in my opinion) Fox 36 over the Yari. You could put the new RockShox damper in the Yari to effectively convert it to the higher end model down the road (same goes for the the GRIP2 damper in the Fox 36 though). At this price point the Carbon R build should also come into the picture for $200 more, if a carbon frame is important to you. If it were me, I would wait, get a couple hundred more dollars together, get the carbon R, then upgrade things as needed down the road. At the end of the day it just depends on your needs; for example, my girlfriend has an R build Strega and couldn't tell the difference between a Yari vs 36 or Guide vs Code brakes. It works just fine for her, but I know I need more.

I am sure the R spec build would do me just fine and is a big upgrade from the used old bike I have been rocking.
much like your GF I not even sure I would notice the difference between R vs S builds. was not even on my mind until the guy at the bike shop suggested it as he just order him self the same bike today...so here I am wanting more of a bike than my budget.
haha

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 21:41 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I did not like nx, but the gx was not bad on my new HTLT. Crj5 pretty much covered it. To me, the expensive bits to replace if you don't like are susp and wheels. Drivetrain will wear.

With new models coming soon, some dealers are making deals on invetoried items. I got a really good deal so I ended up buying sooner than I planned.

If the carbon is only a couple hun more, I would definitely consider it.

hmm carbon R vs alloy S...damn it now I have more to think about!
not sure i am into the carbon but SC does warranty there frames for life. soooo maybe

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 11:54 Quote
I started off with a £3k budget and ended up buying the sc. I felt outraged at myself that I’d spent so much more than my budget but my excitement to go out and ride it far outweighed those feelings. First outing for me tomorrow morning and I’m absolutely buzzing. ????????
I’m sure this won’t help you but just thought I’d share

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008625
Mobile Version of Website