PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Custom links anyone?
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 6, 2019 at 15:34 Quote
pigman65 wrote:
Andrew916 wrote:
photo
Holy f*ck !
We told him the prototype would only work with an air shock and he was brave enough to try and fit the coil. We're glad it did fit though because coils are awesome. Don't worry... the production one will have significantly more clearance!

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 21:58 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
So I recently made a link for the Nomad (http://cascadecomponents.bike/nomad-lt-link/) that increases travel and makes it more progressive. Would anyone have any interest in a link that achieves similar things for a Bronson, Megatower, or V10 and if so what would you be most interested in gaining for each?

I'd be interested in a link to change the Stumpjumper from 140mm in the back to 150mm. Balance it out a little.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 22:08 Quote
seraph wrote:
I'd be interested in a link to change the Stumpjumper from 140mm in the back to 150mm. Balance it out a little.

The Stumpy is definitely high on our list. Just waiting to see how much Specialized changes it up considering the rumors.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 22:10 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
seraph wrote:

The Stumpy is definitely high on our list. Just waiting to see how much Specialized changes it up considering the rumors.

Well the chassis is the same for the 2020 models so far.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 22:31 Quote
It's possible to run a 5 mm longer stroke on the 2019, but the leverage curve for that model leaves a little to be desired especially with a coil on it. If they made a change to their linkage that produced a favorable leverage curve the amount of value we could add would be less. I like making really awesome bike parts, but I also try and make sure it makes sense for the end user.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 1:02 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
It's possible to run a 5 mm longer stroke on the 2019, but the leverage curve for that model leaves a little to be desired especially with a coil on it. If they made a change to their linkage that produced a favorable leverage curve the amount of value we could add would be less. I like making really awesome bike parts, but I also try and make sure it makes sense for the end user.

That's fair. I was just thinking that the extra 10mm of travel would really balance the bike out. I've got the '19 Pro and overall it's a shredder but sometimes I think I want just a little more squish in the back. Maybe I'll go coil...

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 7:37 Quote
seraph wrote:
That's fair. I was just thinking that the extra 10mm of travel would really balance the bike out. I've got the '19 Pro and overall it's a shredder but sometimes I think I want just a little more squish in the back. Maybe I'll go coil...

Oh I agree. The bike has some good things going for it, but an extra 10 mm would make it just that much better. One of my buddies is running a longer stroke shock on the Evo and it works great except the leverage curve is too linear for a coil.

FL
Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
seraph wrote:
CascadeComponents wrote:
So I recently made a link for the Nomad (http://cascadecomponents.bike/nomad-lt-link/) that increases travel and makes it more progressive. Would anyone have any interest in a link that achieves similar things for a Bronson, Megatower, or V10 and if so what would you be most interested in gaining for each?

Just take out the travel spacer inside the air can of your shock. Should give you that 10-15mm of added travel.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 9:30 Quote
1llumA wrote:
Just take out the travel spacer inside the air can of your shock. Should give you that 10-15mm of added travel.

The thing we want to solve with the Stumpy is the leverage curve. Travel comes secondary to that. The stock curve is much too linear to work well with a coil shock. I know people who are riding it with the longer shock and it works fine but bottoms out easily still.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 11:30 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
1llumA wrote:

The thing we want to solve with the Stumpy is the leverage curve. Travel comes secondary to that. The stock curve is much too linear to work well with a coil shock. I know people who are riding it with the longer shock and it works fine but bottoms out easily still.

I'm no suspension expert, but I know what I want. I want a rear shock setup that's got superior plushness with a bottomless feel, and that moves smoothly through its travel over a variety of terrain. So far the SJ has been great but I feel like a coil would give me a more consistent plushness. Am I wrong?

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
seraph wrote:
I'm no suspension expert, but I know what I want. I want a rear shock setup that's got superior plushness with a bottomless feel, and that moves smoothly through its travel over a variety of terrain. So far the SJ has been great but I feel like a coil would give me a more consistent plushness. Am I wrong?

You're not wrong. The coil does give a more consistent feel especially towards the top of travel since the stiction is so low. What's necessary to give the coil a bottomless feel is a more progressive leverage curve since there's not ramp up within the shock itself. While the stock Stumpy curve is progressive it's not progressive enough to work especially well with a coil. Bikes like the Nomad that play well with a coil are about four times more progressive than the Stumpy. This allows you to run a stiff enough spring to not have to worry about harsh bottom outs while still having that really sensitive feel off the top.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 13:31 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
seraph wrote:

You're not wrong. The coil does give a more consistent feel especially towards the top of travel since the stiction is so low. What's necessary to give the coil a bottomless feel is a more progressive leverage curve since there's not ramp up within the shock itself. While the stock Stumpy curve is progressive it's not progressive enough to work especially well with a coil. Bikes like the Nomad that play well with a coil are about four times more progressive than the Stumpy. This allows you to run a stiff enough spring to not have to worry about harsh bottom outs while still having that really sensitive feel off the top.

Two questions then:
1.) is it possible to make the regular SJ work well with a coil by using a custom link (if one were to exist)?
and
2.) what makes the SJ Evo work well with a coil that my regular SJ doesn't have?

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
seraph wrote:
Two questions then:
1.) is it possible to make the regular SJ work well with a coil by using a custom link (if one were to exist)?
and
2.) what makes the SJ Evo work well with a coil that my regular SJ doesn't have?

1. It might be possible to make the regular one work well with a coil by using a custom link. I'm hoping to look into that this fall when we finish production on the Santa Cruz links we're doing right now.

2. The Evo is actually in the same boat. For details read through this PB article here https://www.pinkbike.com/news/behind-the-numbers-specialized-stumpjumper-evo-29-suspension-analysis.html

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
seraph wrote:
Two questions then:
and

1. It might be possible to make the regular one work well with a coil by using a custom link. I'm hoping to look into that this fall when we finish production on the Santa Cruz links we're doing right now.

2. The Evo is actually in the same boat. For details read through this PB article here https://www.pinkbike.com/news/behind-the-numbers-specialized-stumpjumper-evo-29-suspension-analysis.html

Dude I'm down to help test a link if you want. I'll pay for one of course. I'm waiting for the fox DHX2 to come back into stock at QBP.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015968
Mobile Version of Website