Hope Pro 4, DT SWISS 350, or other?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Hope Pro 4, DT SWISS 350, or other?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 4, 2019 at 9:17 Quote
Hey All. Looking to slap some new hubs on my Stumpjumper ST 29er. The Formula hubs that came on the bike aren't super impressive. As of now, I'm considering Hope Pro 4s or DT SWISS 350s as they seem to be an effective budget option. Of these two, which do you prefer? Any other recommendations in that price range?

Front 110x15 28H
Rear 12x148 28H

Thanks!

Adam

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
I just ordered some Hunt wheels. Reviews seem solid, and the rear hub engagement is much better than the DT Swiss 350 without paying $100 for the upgrade. $399 for the set with 5 degree engagement is pretty hard to beat, especially compared with buying the hubs and paying someone to set them up on your wheels.

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
Buying wheels built seems to be a better value than just buying hubs, for sure.

Budget?

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 6:56 Quote
Let me add some more background info..

I purchased a Stumpjumper ST 29er in the Expert configuration. I thought I would be getting the DT SWISS hubs packaged as "Specialized Hubs w/ Sealed Cartridge Bearings" on their Traverse Carbon Wheelset. However, based on what I have found online and experienced, they are a cheaper hub. So, I have a nice set of carbon hoops and a rear hub that doesn't feel long for this world. Just looking at potential replacements in the price range of the HOPE PRO 4/DT SWISS 350. This is my first set of carbon hoops so I want to keep the carbon part without spending $1200+ on a new Wheelset.

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
AdamC86 wrote:
Let me add some more background info..

I purchased a Stumpjumper ST 29er in the Expert configuration. I thought I would be getting the DT SWISS hubs packaged as "Specialized Hubs w/ Sealed Cartridge Bearings" on their Traverse Carbon Wheelset. However, based on what I have found online and experienced, they are a cheaper hub. So, I have a nice set of carbon hoops and a rear hub that doesn't feel long for this world. Just looking at potential replacements in the price range of the HOPE PRO 4/DT SWISS 350. This is my first set of carbon hoops so I want to keep the carbon part without spending $1200+ on a new Wheelset.

I can understand wanting to keep the carbon wheels, though I trust alum ones moreso myself, and the weight to cost benefit is not there for me, but you already have them. Unless you are set on running the rims, I would check all my options, even selling your current wheelset and getting a new set.

You certainly don't have to pay that much for a set of wheels, unless you go carbon rims. I paid less than $800 for a set of I9/Stans Flow, new. I would pay near that for just the hubs from most stores.

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
That's a good point about the wheelset and that's a smoking deal w/ the I9 hubs. I'll have to watch for deals and weigh the options. The idea of a carbon wheelset excites me but I'm also not willing to dump bookoo bucks just to keep em. Thanks for the advice.

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 8:02 Quote
Build you a set on coloradocyclist . Com they usually have a coupon to save 10%. I have done that twice for two different bikes, one 27.5 and one 29. Just a thought.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 2:51 Quote
I’ve got Hope Pro4 Evo & DT Swiss 350 with £39 Chinese 36T ratchet off Amazon. I much prefer the DT Swiss, The hope noise I find really irritating. Keep an eye on Chain reaction, I’ve bought DT complete wheels with 350 hubs for substantially less than the DT hub alone retails for.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 6:09 Quote
Thanks, @StevieJB. I'm really struggling with whether or not I relace these carbon hoops or purchase a new Wheelset altogether. I have been scouring the web for 350/Hope hubs and weighing the cost versus a new complete aluminum wheel set. I'll keep an eye on Chain Reaction, good tip.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 4:51 Quote
AdamC86 wrote:
Thanks, @StevieJB. I'm really struggling with whether or not I relace these carbon hoops or purchase a new Wheelset altogether. I have been scouring the web for 350/Hope hubs and weighing the cost versus a new complete aluminum wheel set. I'll keep an eye on Chain Reaction, good tip.

Would suggest selling current carbon wheelset (you will find plenty of carbon lovers :-) and buy quality ALU set with DT350 (DT M1700, maybe E1700) or Hope hubs (Stans i think have some combos with Hope hubs).

Difference in price between carbon and ALU wheelset can go for better use - MTB trip or vacation :-)

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 21:20 Quote
I fell into the same problem with my enduro. Wanted carbon, thought they were DT hubs just to get hosed. I ended up dismantling the rear wheel and rebuilding with the hope hub. Measurements were also close so i just reused the spokes instead of buying new. I dont recommend reusing spokes normally, but i dismantled the wheel with zero time being used.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 20:54 Quote
Both great hubs. I’ve had both - I like the color options of Hope but prefer DT Swiss. Parts are easier to get and stupid easy to service the ratchets... and if you want the Shimano Microspline, not that pricey either.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 23:05 Quote
sdken wrote:
Both great hubs. I’ve had both - I like the color options of Hope but prefer DT Swiss. Parts are easier to get and stupid easy to service the ratchets... and if you want the Shimano Microspline, not that pricey either.

So I've heard more than once something about hope parts not being as easy to obtain, but wonder where that belief comes from. Hope has an independent distribution in Bend, Oregon. Ive ordered a variety of parts from them and keep in stock some of the small parts. Is it maybe that the shops you are going to dont have accounts with them?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016200
Mobile Version of Website