Rockshox boxxer 2019 vs DVO Emerald- thoughts?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Rockshox boxxer 2019 vs DVO Emerald- thoughts?
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 5:57 Quote
yzedf wrote:
Loki87 wrote:
yzedf wrote:


Oh shut up. It's a data point. Yes, it's the cheap damper in it. So what? The team (Charger damper) isn't miles better, and with the coil RC you can't get a upgrade from Rockshox beyond the first Charger. That's 2 generations behind what is in the new Pike/Lyrik. All you can do is full custom. Pretty ridiculous.

A coil fork is less adjustable than air. Coil adjustment is the coil itself and preload. Love the feel but those big hits bottom out too hard? If you're out of preload adjustment you have to go up a spring. What if it's too stiff for all but the biggest hits?

Speaking of preload spacers, my shop can't get them from Rockshox anymore? It's been what, a year?

The charger is literally miles ahead of the RC´s system. The charger 2 is arguably a step back in build quality from the regular charger. I´ve ridden most of these forks.
Your arguments against the coil are laughable. I have yet to bottom out the coil spring and i´ve been doing some not so small drops on it. Hell, i´ve done bigger ones on the coil than on the air! It also depends on your damper and its interaction with the spring. It´s not a black and white thing.
How is the coil less adjustable? You can adjust spring rate by swapping springs, same as air, just not as precise, which doesn´t matter at all. What do you use that adjustment for on an air spring? Right, getting it to a point where it strikes a perfect balance between sensitivity and travel preservation. Guess what, a coil that fits your weight is already more sensitive and less prone to dive due to the linear spring. Even if you don´t perfectly fit the weight range and sit on the outer fringes of the recommended weight, the inherent advantages of a coil will still negate that. The adjustability of an air spring is only really necessary and perceived as a plus because the air spring actually needs to be that finicky to function properly.
Of course there may be the odd case where you´re not matching any spring due to a weird combination of weight and riding style. Those are few and far between. And even then you got a damper to work with. We´re not talking massive discrepancys here. It´s literally a difference of 2% sag or something along those lines.
As i´ve stated above, i´ve ridden my fork with the red and blue spring. Both worked fine, it was just a matter of preference and i´m still debating whether i should swap back to the blue one in order to try an approach with less dompression damping. Just out of curiosity.
And if things absolutely don´t work out, reshim that damper. It´s not a freakin Iphone, it´s a suspension product. They´re not made to fit everyone out of the box.
Talking about preload disqualifies any argument. You do not use that to adjust a spring to your weight, period. You get the correct springrate. If you did do that, no wonder your fork feels like shit.

And even if you were right with any of what you said, you´re still riding a vastly different fork.
It´s been known for years that the RC sucks. It´s not due to the coil spring though. Throw a charger in that thing and you´ll see. Or, depending on the production year, you won´t as the chassis of the early RC and Charger versions is actually not the same despite being similar in looks and the older chassis was notorious for bushing bind. They just improved quality control and manufacturing processes for the newer charger chassis. So maybe you just got a crappy fork.
Or just throw an air spring in your fork and see how that´ll transform it. I´m eager to see what your conclusion will be.
Speaking of data points.
As it stands, you´ve not done any of that. You´re coming from a point of zero reference, referencing only one common variable.

From my personal testing, with the same fork, on the same bike/frame, with the same damper, the same rider who did not significantly change in ability, with different springs, basically keeping confounding variables as close to a minimum as humanly possible, i can say that the coil does bottom out less and is more effective in general.
Your point is having ridden a different fork which had ONE common denominator with the fork/s in question.


My question regarding upgrades still stands.
You say it´s expensive to upgrade. Compared to what reference point? What cheaper options are there?
Afaik, the 40 cartridge is nearly double the price. Most other forks can´t even be upgraded.

Avalanche Racing does DH fork cartridges for Fox, Rockshox, BOS, Marzocchi (both old and new) and maybe others.

DVO uses shims that you can tune yourself, and they will give you advice as well as telling you what the exact stock setup is.

Avalanche are great, but really expensive. I was talking about factory upgrades, not aftermarket.
You can reshim any charger as well. RS even gives basic shimstacks for different weights. Granted, it's not as easy as with the Emerald, but it can be done.

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 14:51 Quote
What's your budget?

Whether you're buying new or used, I would go with a 40 with at least the Fit damper or boxxer WC, and a chikadeehill AWK.

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 4:43 Quote
If you have a 2019 boxxer and someone wants to trade you an emerald for it they are trying to scam you. I run an Emerald on my bike and it's a decent fork but it's heavy and noisy. The new boxxer is almost a full kilo lighter than the Emerald and sure to be a better overall fork.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 9:19 Quote
hi guys , about the boxxer RC , rock shox has relased a new air version this year , the Rc DebonAir also called boxxer rc Select in some countries.
It has the Charger damper , the Debonair air spring and a new chassis i think .
Someone got any info on that fork ? Because it seems like a huge upgrade over the old RC

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 6:25 Quote
my emerald makes my Jedi feel heavy and sluggish. great fork and user-friendly but I don't ride fast enough or hard enough to make it work to its full potential.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 6:43 Quote
Code98 wrote:
hi guys , about the boxxer RC , rock shox has relased a new air version this year , the Rc DebonAir also called boxxer rc Select in some countries.
It has the Charger damper , the Debonair air spring and a new chassis i think .
Someone got any info on that fork ? Because it seems like a huge upgrade over the old RC

Anything is a huge upgrade over the old RC.
It's literally up there with the worst forks ever produced. Ok, it doesn't crack, that's about it.
Chassis has changed,yes, but imho not in a way relevant to performance. It's just noteworthy because the old cartridges won't fit anymore. So it'll limit any potential aftermarket cartridge options.
RS's recent budget offerings have been rather decent though. I can't fault my Yari given the low pricetag and suspect the new Boxxer RC would be a notch above it even.
If you're on a budget, i'd say just get it.
If you don't like it, you can still upgrade later.
Since you're from Italy, if you're just looking for a great fork with reasonable budget however, go look for a cheap online deal on an old Boxxer RC or Team or whatever and get yourself a MST Boxxer cartridge from Germany. It's super easy to install, reasonably priced, semi open bath and user servicable with standard parts and blows anything on the market out of the water. A friend has one and the only fork on par with it is my Fast upgraded Charger Boxxer. Any high end mainstream fork pales in comparison in terms of smoothness and traction.
Shouldn't be too hard to find a slightly used chassis or closeout fork to canibalize and build the fork for around 700€.
A coil Boxxer with the MST cartridge literally feels like a good old Marzocchi, but with functioning compression damping.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 2:11 Quote
Loki87 wrote:

Anything is a huge upgrade over the old RC.
It's literally up there with the worst forks ever produced. Ok, it doesn't crack, that's about it.
Chassis has changed,yes, but imho not in a way relevant to performance. It's just noteworthy because the old cartridges won't fit anymore. So it'll limit any potential aftermarket cartridge options.
RS's recent budget offerings have been rather decent though. I can't fault my Yari given the low pricetag and suspect the new Boxxer RC would be a notch above it even.
If you're on a budget, i'd say just get it.
If you don't like it, you can still upgrade later.
Since you're from Italy, if you're just looking for a great fork with reasonable budget however, go look for a cheap online deal on an old Boxxer RC or Team or whatever and get yourself a MST Boxxer cartridge from Germany. It's super easy to install, reasonably priced, semi open bath and user servicable with standard parts and blows anything on the market out of the water. A friend has one and the only fork on par with it is my Fast upgraded Charger Boxxer. Any high end mainstream fork pales in comparison in terms of smoothness and traction.
Shouldn't be too hard to find a slightly used chassis or closeout fork to canibalize and build the fork for around 700€.
A coil Boxxer with the MST cartridge literally feels like a good old Marzocchi, but with functioning compression damping.

Ok thank you , the aftermarket cartridge seems like a great way to have a coil spring and a good damper !

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
If you´re more of an advanced/aggressive rider make sure to order the optional ramp up thingy they offer.
The fork stays higher in its travel with that and works better all around.

| Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017637
Mobile Version of Website