Wheel Building Help

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Wheel Building Help
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2019 at 20:45 Quote
Hey Folks
I'm trying to build up a new rear wheel (front to come later) for my ride and hoping for some suggestions. Key specs:

26"
14mm thru axle
135mm dropout spacing
Disc brake
Single speed

Currently I'm running a stock 2014 Specialized 36 hole setup. Bike is a 2014 P26 AM. I'm hoping to build something that is stiffer, lighter, and better looking. With a good sounding well engaging hub of course. More color options the better, as I plan to rebuild this entire bike. This specific area is a bit foreign to me, so what parts do you all recommend, and where do you buy from? How do you choose hub size?

Thanks much!

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 5:00 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
Hey Folks
I'm trying to build up a new rear wheel (front to come later) for my ride and hoping for some suggestions. Key specs:

26"
14mm thru axle
135mm dropout spacing
Disc brake
Single speed

Currently I'm running a stock 2014 Specialized 36 hole setup. Bike is a 2014 P26 AM. I'm hoping to build something that is stiffer, lighter, and better looking. With a good sounding well engaging hub of course. More color options the better, as I plan to rebuild this entire bike. This specific area is a bit foreign to me, so what parts do you all recommend, and where do you buy from? How do you choose hub size?

Thanks much!

Pretty sure your frame is a standard 10mm dropout,yes?
Plenty of SS hub choices out there, Atomlab, Halo, Profile, Hope. Just depends on what you want to spend.

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 19:32 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
man-wolf wrote:
Hey Folks

26"
14mm thru axle
135mm dropout spacing
Disc brake
Single speed

Thanks much!

Pretty sure your frame is a standard 10mm dropout,yes?
Plenty of SS hub choices out there, Atomlab, Halo, Profile, Hope. Just depends on what you want to spend.
Are you referring to the thickness of the dropout?

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 19:38 Quote
You stated you wanted a 14mm through axle. The P bike has a standard 10mm slotted dropout.
Street BMX frames have a standard 14mm.

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 21:06 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
You stated you wanted a 14mm through axle. The P bike has a standard 10mm slotted dropout.
Bike has 14mm axles front and rear. I would like to keep it that way.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 4:01 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
bikebike69 wrote:

Your bike is standard 10mm. Why do you say it’s 14?

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 6:54 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
man-wolf wrote:
bikebike69 wrote:

Your bike is standard 10mm. Why do you say it’s 14?

Because I'm an idiot, sorry. I was looking at what is apparently an incorrect spec of my rear hub, and haven't been around the bike.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 7:05 Quote
And to be back on topic....I'm not worried about price. Looking for the best combo of weight, strength, and durability. And of course, color options Pimp

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
Spank completes are great and in every color. Octane hubs are great singlespeed hubs. Hope SS is another top option. But best option is Profile classic. The later two hub option being you can mix rim color,brand choices.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 20:53 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
Spank completes are great and in every color. Octane hubs are great singlespeed hubs. Hope SS is another top option. But best option is Profile classic. The later two hub option being you can mix rim color,brand choices.
Thank you for the excellent suggestions. I had already been looking into options from Spank, but it seems the option I most liked (Tweet twenty eight) is pretty hard to come by. I said price wasn't a problem....but damn some of those hubs are expensive! Haha. I'm still not sure if I'm going to build the entire wheelset or get a complete setup, but my options are getting a bit more clear now. This is a long term project thankfully.

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 0:28 Quote
Go profile elite as hubs. They are loud as n basically the best out there. Check YouTube for hub sounds. Profile elites are way better than the classic profile hubs. Check 6pawls v only 4 in the classic and 206 contact points I think(if not its close to that number) v only like 80 or 100 for classic profile's.
I'm building a wheel set at moment.
What's best rims 26" on offer at moment? I'm going for 28mm to 30mm widrh, light n strong quality? Thanks n sorry for high jacking your post but I thought the answers would help you out as well mate.

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 4:08 Quote
snyds1987 wrote:
Go profile elite as hubs. They are loud as n basically the best out there. Check YouTube for hub sounds. Profile elites are way better than the classic profile hubs. Check 6pawls v only 4 in the classic and 206 contact points I think(if not its close to that number) v only like 80 or 100 for classic profile's.
I'm building a wheel set at moment.
What's best rims 26" on offer at moment? I'm going for 28mm to 30mm widrh, light n strong quality? Thanks n sorry for high jacking your post but I thought the answers would help you out as well mate.

Sun MTX29 26” rims for the win. They’re like 30 bucks on eBay right now!

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 16:19 Quote
What are the stans no tubes rims like? Are they up there in quality? I used to run mtx 10yrs ago so I no there good. I'm just keeping my options open. They have to be tubeless. If I'm gonna build a new wheelset I gotta go tubeless. Lol
Thanks guys

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 17:07 Quote
Head on over to CRC,they have a clearance sale on NS bikes Enigma rims.These are some of the best and 26" rims available.

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 17:53 Quote
Anyone heard good things on stans no tubes rims tho? Just trying to learn about all the companies before I make my choice.
Thanks spyke, I'll check them out

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014866
Mobile Version of Website