Wheel Building Help

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Wheel Building Help
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 17:10 Quote
Lol- 95% of bike parts are made in China or Taiwan, more often than not all the brands you talk about are produced in the very same factories. They simply stamp them with the brand name of whatever company is paying them and add a 200% mark-up.

The profile hubs you talk about are all made by Joytech. The NS rims and rims you talk about- 90% are mostly made by Jalco. The odyssey freewheels and Salt freewheels are the exact same one- just different stamps- list goes on. It makes me laugh when i hear everybody go on about certain brands when its all made in the same factory. You think a Chris King headset is made with extra special alloy? Lol - no - its a 5 buck headset that they charge 200 bucks for because it says chris king.

I've toured these factories and they make NS parts, chris king parts, colony, salt, odessy, spank, profile etc etc, right next to each other at joytech and jalco factories. You guys make me laugh. Enjoy spending insane prices for a name...

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 18:08 Quote
I understand this. Been around top level bikes and racing all around my country in all aspects. But all tho they are made in same country/factory they are built to different designs, materials and quality. So its not the name people ask about its the quality of the product that they have made.
And also the technology that was only used by top companies n products years ago is now available to every build so yes ur correct that all parts are nearly equal now.
Thanks anyways, I'm pretty wet on these rims, they suit my needs perfectly. Will post onnmy thoughts once all is built n ridden..

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 19:52 Quote
All Profile hubs are made in the USA,specifically in Florida state.Infact all Profile machined parts are made in house.

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 18:15 Quote
Yeah, correct mate. Some of Tue best quality out there, they have been since I was a kid racing bmx 25yrs ago.

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 23:50 Quote
Profile is made in USA, Hope is made in Barnoldswick, England, at least I hope they still do, but honestly I wouldn't even care did they didn't. I'd personally go with either Hope, I9, or Chris King. I've owned almost every popular top and budget brand of rear mtb and BMX hub (CK, I9, Hope x 3 iterations of the same shell, profile, DT 240s, octane, Dartmoor, Ns, azonic, spank x 2)

Basically it's like this, if you care about engagement get CK, I9 or profile. If you don't, just buy spanks. They're problem free, dragless, and quiet. They'll never give you a problem and the stock bearings are actually pretty high quality(a few specific top brands have been criticised for bearings seizing up much faster than a basic Shimano 525 even would *cough" I9.

Spank spoon wheelsets arent particularly light, but they're tougher than they need to be unless you're daily hucking 12 stairs to flat.

You mentioned 28. If you mean 28 spoke wheelsets, don't. Trust me I've been there and you'll be tightening spokes twice a day if you're riding them hard. The weight you save isn't worth the amount of trouble you spend off the bike tensioning spokes. I did it with ADD pros, DH 26" wheels , ND they couldn't handle anything, really

Even if you just mean 28mm wide rims, again, not recommended

Tires won't have as much contact patch, you'll prefer more on any kind of dj/street bike

Personally Id just throw low budget-ish carbon rims 32h on hope pro 4s or an octane SS and be done with it all. You'll save money and never have issues with trueness, engagement, or bearing replacement

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 7:37 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
Profile is made in USA, Hope is made in Barnoldswick, England, at least I hope they still do, but honestly I wouldn't even care did they didn't. I'd personally go with either Hope, I9, or Chris King. I've owned almost every popular top and budget brand of rear mtb and BMX hub (CK, I9, Hope x 3 iterations of the same shell, profile, DT 240s, octane, Dartmoor, Ns, azonic, spank x 2)

Basically it's like this, if you care about engagement get CK, I9 or profile. If you don't, just buy spanks. They're problem free, dragless, and quiet. They'll never give you a problem and the stock bearings are actually pretty high quality(a few specific top brands have been criticised for bearings seizing up much faster than a basic Shimano 525 even would *cough" I9.

Spank spoon wheelsets arent particularly light, but they're tougher than they need to be unless you're daily hucking 12 stairs to flat.

You mentioned 28. If you mean 28 spoke wheelsets, don't. Trust me I've been there and you'll be tightening spokes twice a day if you're riding them hard. The weight you save isn't worth the amount of trouble you spend off the bike tensioning spokes. I did it with ADD pros, DH 26" wheels , ND they couldn't handle anything, really

Tires won't have as much contact patch, you'll prefer more on any kind of dj/street bike

Personally Id just throw low budget-ish carbon rims 32h on hope pro 4s or an octane SS and be done with it all. You'll save money and never have issues with trueness, engagement, or bearing replacement

Excellent feedback, thank you. Any budget-ish carbon rims to recommend?

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 16:46 Quote
[Quote="Metro-Gnome"]Profile is made in USA, Hope is made in Barnoldswick, England, at least I hope they still do, but honestly I wouldn't even care did they didn't. I'd personally go with either Hope, I9, or Chris King. I've owned almost every popular top and budget brand of rear mtb and BMX hub (CK, I9, Hope x 3 iterations of the same shell, profile, DT 240s, octane, Dartmoor, Ns, azonic, spank x 2)

Personally Id just throw low budget-ish carbon rims 32h on hope pro 4s or an octane SS and be done with it all. You'll save money and never have issues with trueness, engagement, or bearing replacement[/Quote

Well 28mm wide is what I meant and if you look at matt Jones, pro slope style rider for Marin bikes and redbull. He and many other pros swear by halo DJ single speed supadrive wheel set which are 28mm wide rims.
And yeah 28 spoke would be a night mare. 32 spoke all the way.

I'm actually going with "Stans No Tubes Arch Mk3" rims now. 29.5mm wide (my Alex rims are are 30mm so basically same width for swap). They are an enduro/all mountain rim, perfect for DJ. Any thoughts on this company and rim.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 18:26 Quote
The pros are also sponsored by companies who give them free parts,so when they wreck them,free replacements.However Halo does make some mighty fine products.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012353
Mobile Version of Website