Good xc bikes under $3000?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Good xc bikes under $3000?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 22:00 Quote
I am a high school student doing some xc racing for fun. I spent 2 years on an old Norco Charger, and it's time for an upgrade. I'm looking for a good, light, fs bike with 100-120mm travel. I would like some suggestion for models. This will also be my bike for probably awhile after high school so something with a little bit slack geo would be preferred. I know that's pretty specific and might not be possible under $3000, but yeah that's what I'm looking for. Anything helps. I have looked at specialized epic comp alloy and the rocky mountain element alloy 30 (but I have a suspicion that the latter is well over 30 lbs as I haven't been able to find the weight anywhere). I'm a big fan of the norco revolver but they're way too over budget to be considered. Any suggestions?

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
Are looking to buy new or used?

I would recommend the Scott Spark 900 ( probably a used 2018 ). Super light but very playful bike. And as a cross country racer, the twinlock system would help you out immensely as you can go from 100mm to 60mm to lockout on both the front and back with a flick of your thumb. For those that have never ridden a Scott ( which is a lot of people), they think it is a gimmick but I can tell you , nothing is further than the truth. I use it multiple times on every ride and it is such an advantage (esp in a race). Look at Nino Shurter and Kate Courtney's bikes, Yes they are the top,top end Sparks but both of them still use the twinlock in their races and Nino hucks and jumps that Spark like he is in a bike park.

I'm sure other will chime in and there will be a load of other great bikes to choose from but thought I would let you know about the Spark.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
Trevpurcell wrote:
I am a high school student doing some xc racing for fun. I spent 2 years on an old Norco Charger, and it's time for an upgrade. I'm looking for a good, light, fs bike with 100-120mm travel. I would like some suggestion for models. This will also be my bike for probably awhile after high school so something with a little bit slack geo would be preferred. I know that's pretty specific and might not be possible under $3000, but yeah that's what I'm looking for. Anything helps. I have looked at specialized epic comp alloy and the rocky mountain element alloy 30 (but I have a suspicion that the latter is well over 30 lbs as I haven't been able to find the weight anywhere). I'm a big fan of the norco revolver but they're way too over budget to be considered. Any suggestions?

I know trek does a nica discount, check out there new top fuel 8, 30lbs with tubes, its $3200, but probably will cost you like $2700-2800, at least a couple years ago thats what I got a fuel ex 8 for with same msrp.the new top fuels are more downcountry than pure xc so should work good.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 9:04 Quote
I know this thread may be dead by now, but what do you guys think about the spec camber? I'm looking a a 2018 comp carbon very gently used by somebody who works at my LBS. I've heard they dont pedal that well, but what are your thoughts?

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 2:55 Quote
I have been ridding a 2015 rocky mountain element 930 and absolutely love it.It is a versatile bike and pedals very well up down and every which way, the more modern geometry on the new model should make it an even more competent steed. The weight of mine is 28lbs with a dropper post that is on a med frame.
As for other suggestions well i have recently purchased a niner rkt9 rdo for my wife and she seems to absolutely love it.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.009573
Mobile Version of Website