Shorter travel and smaller sizes when moving to 29er enduro?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Shorter travel and smaller sizes when moving to 29er enduro?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 8:52 Quote
I'm currently on a 150/160 travel 27.5 bike (older rocky altitude), and considering going to 29 with the next enduro bike (although not fully convinced yet).

I was convinced I wanted a slightly more rowdy bike next, including going to 160/170 travel (in 27.5), but that was before i started considering 29ers.

I'm wondering if there's any consensus about whether you can justifiably step down the travel when taking the bigger wheels. E.g. is a 150/160 29er kind of similar to a 160/170 27.5? I get that there are going to be loads of other variables, but lets say they were all the same, what's going on with the increase in wheel size and increase (or not) in travel? Is it all getting too big and rowdy or not nice to handle when increasing travel and wheel size at the same time? (intended use is Euro enduro trails, alps, france spain, italy, etc).

For example, I was looking at commencal Meta AM in 29 (160/170), then saw an Orbea Rallon in 29 (which is 150/160 i think) vs say nukeproof mega in 27.5 (165/170). There are obviously loads of other 29ers also.

I am also wondering about sizes, whether there's some argument for stepping the size down if you were on the borderline of sizes, because of the bigger wheels. For example, my XC bike is a 29er, and I always found it a bit big and cumbersome after going up from 27.5 (i.e. not very agile), but was on the manufacturer recommended size (albeit with a -25 degree stem to make it feel manageable). Maybe it's the geo on that model also, not sure.

For reference I'm not very tall - 5'9". I get plenty of people telling me small people go great on big wheels but my experience with the XC bike didn't really concur. I know it's faster over the right terrain, but wouldn't say it's more fun.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 13:22 Quote
29 will always feel a bit cumbersome straight off a 27.5 bike. However, over time you get used to it.

There’s no doubt that they’re faster.

In terms of suspension equivalence it depends on what you’re doing. Rock gardens and chunder, it’s like having 20-30mm extra travel. Jumps and drops, none at all.

You get that in return for something that *generally* has significantly more pedalling efficiency when you take the reduced travel into account.

I like them. But I also like the responsiveness of 650b when I ride one.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007460
Mobile Version of Website