Cracked Carbon Rim: Is it still okay to ride?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Cracked Carbon Rim: Is it still okay to ride?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 21:32 Quote
So today I noticed a 2 very small cracks on the edge of my carbon rim

The crack

Does this seem okay to ride? It goes all the way through but not to the bottom of the dish, I don't know when it happened, couldve happened today or 3 months ago, no air has leaked out and i haven't noticed any issues on my last couple of rides.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 1:12 Quote
I had bigger than that and got another 2 years out of it before it changed one bit. Bead hook cracks don't bother me . As long as they don't get towards the spokes or the rim bed .

Just keep a eye on it everytime you clean you bike.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
no. your face is worth more than your rim

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
Did the ard rock enduro couple of times. (first one put the crack in). My own fault using exo and low pressure. (pure sharp rocks) and morzine ( lost 3 spokes didnt even notice rims are so strong) and mostly ride the lake district in uk with it. again is pure rock with the rim smacking rocks every single ride. Rims are full of chips and gouges.
It's not having a crack that's the problem it the size and location of the crack.
See Danny mag vid trying to destroy one.
I used to go through 2 -3 alloys a year and end up walking home. Got 2.5+ years from carbon with no walking home. Iv had alloy totally instantly implode at 30mph at Fort William as they collapse when they loose a few spokes at once unlike carbon. So I actually trust carbon more than ally and have saved money using them (LB) whilst having a better ride quality for my riding style and preference.

That's my experience anyway .do what works for you.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 8:42 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
Did the ard rock enduro couple of times. (first one put the crack in). My own fault using exo and low pressure. (pure sharp rocks) and morzine ( lost 3 spokes didnt even notice rims are so strong) and mostly ride the lake district in uk with it. again is pure rock with the rim smacking rocks every single ride. Rims are full of chips and gouges.
It's not having a crack that's the problem it the size and location of the crack.
See Danny mag vid trying to destroy one.
I used to go through 2 -3 alloys a year and end up walking home. Got 2.5+ years from carbon with no walking home. Iv had alloy totally instantly implode at 30mph at Fort William as they collapse when they loose a few spokes at once unlike carbon. So I actually trust carbon more than ally and have saved money using them (LB) whilst having a better ride quality for my riding style and preference.

That's my experience anyway .do what works for you.

I think I'll just rub some epoxy over it and spread it till its level and keep riding it.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 9:23 Quote
Why would you not replace it? Generally they have lifetime warranties

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
Mikee66 wrote:
Why would you not replace it? Generally they have lifetime warranties

If i could, i wouldve. I bought the bike used so no warranty.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012737
Mobile Version of Website