The best first bike for a beginner?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The best first bike for a beginner?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
What is your budget? New or used? I am 50 and live here. Been riding for a long time, but took a long hiatus till 2017. Sounds like you will be riding the same trails I do. Not sure there are a lot of easy trails in Dupont. LOL

I have had 3 bikes in 3 years as my riding has changed. Be glad to discuss any questions particular to our area or riding. Be glad to send ya my number.

I started on Santa Cruz in 2000 after a couple beginner bikes and started back on a 2017 alum 5010, then a carbon 2018 Tallboy and now on a 2019 SC Hightower LT, 150mm front and rear.

I like the bigger wheels being 6'. Feels more natural.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
I’d suggest a hardtail as a beginner.

You’re unlikely to be riding trails where you need bags of suspension as a beginner, so you’ll be carrying it around for very little purpose. Also, setting up suspension so it works properly for you is a skill in itself.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
Being 6'2", the first thing you will notice about the newer bikes is shortened top tube length and shorter stems.
I am 6'1" and when I was buying a new bike, I test rode the Santa Cruz Hightower and 5010, Yeti SB6 and SB5.5, Trek Slash, Scott Genius, Ibis Ripmo, Evil Offering and couple other bikes.
I bought a new Scott Genius 920 over the HighTower for a number of reasons but mostly because I got a killer deal on it.
My older bikes were all size large and with the new breed of bikes, a size large felt cramped (on all of the bikes above).
I'm sure it has to do with significantly shorter stems but also the top tubes have shrunk over the years to get the front slacker.
So You will most likely need ( or be more comfortable with) a size XL on all bikes.
Don't buy with about test riding first.

Good luck

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011041
Mobile Version of Website