Newb shopping for first bike

PB Forum :: Beginners
Newb shopping for first bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
Hi, I am brand spanking new to mountain biking. I rode lots of dirt and bmx as a kid. I'd like to think "I still got it" at 35 now. I have been looking at fat bikes, and I plan to make a purchase within the next week or so.

Currently I live in VA, where it's mostly flat. There are plenty of dirt trails, and lots of mud. But I am moving to New England this fall. Lots of hills, dirt, and snow. I plan to ride light to moderate trails, snow, summertime ski resorts, and maybe some beach riding too. I am attracted to fat bike because of their versatility in all types of terrain. I'm not a small guy. I'm 5'7", 200lbs, but rather athletic.

I've been doing quite a bit of shopping and reading. Trek and Specialized seem to stand out the most to me. I am really favoring Trek Farley 7 and 9.6 at this point. I like that the 7 has a front suspension. But the SRAM drivetrain on the 9.6 seems to be quite a step up in quality and wider range of gears. I am having a hard time deciding between the two.

I'd buy a less expensive entry level bike, but I fear I may grow out of it too fast and wish I'd bought more bike in the first place. I am not locked in to Trek. It just appeals to me more than others. I have been doing my due diligence in reading and research, but most reviews tend to be rather bias. Perhaps there is something about them I do not yet know. Or maybe you guys may recommend something I haven't looked at yet. I appreciate and feedback you folks may have. Thanks!

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 at 17:18 Quote
You’re on the right track... keep test riding different brands until you find what feels right at a decent price point! If you are open to it, look at the direct to consumer options and use MTB site reviews as well as forums to judge loyalty. Good luck!

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 17:08 Quote
Heist30 wrote:
You’re on the right track... keep test riding different brands until you find what feels right at a decent price point! If you are open to it, look at the direct to consumer options and use MTB site reviews as well as forums to judge loyalty. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! I went with a new Trek Roscoe 8. I’ve riden it a few times, and it’s a blast. It felt a little big to me at first, but I am getting very comfortable on it.

As I said previously, I haven’t riden bikes in years. I wanted to jump straight into a full suspension, but after getting back on the trails, I’m glad I didn’t splurge and go for a full suspension right away. I’ve got a lot of catching up to do! Having a blast riding some local trails. Planning to hit a couple bike parks this fall, where I will rent bikes and get a good feel for them. Maybe I’ll make the jump into better bike next year.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 19:34 Quote
The Roscoe 8 is a brilliant choice! What’s nice about 27.5+ bikes is they’ll fit 29 wheels as well so you may change depending on the terrain. Easing into it is best, learn about geometry and components so you’ll know what you what to look for when you’re ready for Full Squish. Enjoy!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008670
Mobile Version of Website