Stumpjumper vs Scout

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 16:25 Quote
Hey guys, looking for some opinions here on a bike purchase. Been on a specialized Enduro for years and currently on a 2017 comp that I built. After picking up a Demo8 from my local shop last year I’m really starting to consider a shorter travel bike that climbs better for here in Northeast PA.

I have it narrowed down to a Stumpjumper Expert or a Transition Scout GX. I’m looking for a lively, fun bike that will still climb semi decently. 170mm of travel is great on the Enduro going down but it’s far from lively elsewhere, so this is what I’m hoping to improve upon.

Both bikes will be about the same price for me at around $4k since I help out at a specialized shop. But for once I’m honestly looking at a different brand and currently leaning on the Scout. They are 2 very different machines as far as alloy vs carbon. Would love to hear what you think or if anyone has a suggestion for an aggressive bike similar to these I’d love to hear it.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 23:47 Quote
YT Jeffsy is similar.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 9:43 Quote
freed127 wrote:
Hey guys, looking for some opinions here on a bike purchase. Been on a specialized Enduro for years and currently on a 2017 comp that I built. After picking up a Demo8 from my local shop last year I’m really starting to consider a shorter travel bike that climbs better for here in Northeast PA.

I have it narrowed down to a Stumpjumper Expert or a Transition Scout GX. I’m looking for a lively, fun bike that will still climb semi decently. 170mm of travel is great on the Enduro going down but it’s far from lively elsewhere, so this is what I’m hoping to improve upon.

Both bikes will be about the same price for me at around $4k since I help out at a specialized shop. But for once I’m honestly looking at a different brand and currently leaning on the Scout. They are 2 very different machines as far as alloy vs carbon. Would love to hear what you think or if anyone has a suggestion for an aggressive bike similar to these I’d love to hear it.

Transition scout, cooler looking, better value and very progressive geo. Also from what ive heard they climb really well. Probably the most fun bike out there in that travel range atm. You wont even be able to tell the difference between alloy and carbon to be honest. The biggest difference would come from carbon wheels, if you upgraded to them.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
I was pondering between those two bikes six months ago. I test rode both; the stumpy in 29 and 27.5. I also tried a Smuggler for good measure.
The scout won my heart instantly and felt playful and sturdy. It climbs plenty well enough for me and I'm a wknd rider only.
I'm 6.1 and about 85 kg. Come from a DH background and love rowdy single track at speed. I opted for XL in dessert tan. Looks mint!
I bottom out at least two to three times a ride and fun 35% sag.
The bb is very low though and it's not great a rocky climbs; I've had to back pedal slightly to avoid pedal strikes.

The Stumpy felt very planted but I wasn't as confident on either wheel size and it seemed too flashy and bling.
The Smuggler was a train and I would like that bike as well, but the Scout is better.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012299
Mobile Version of Website