Rear suspension tuning and shockwiz recommendations

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Rear suspension tuning and shockwiz recommendations
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 23:37 Quote
My friend and I decided to split a shockwiz. Between my bike, his bike, and bikes for both of our wives, we've got eight forks/shocks to tune. Plus I like to tinker, so it just kind of made sense.

My bike is a Santa Cruz Bronson 3, bought last August. Size large, I'm around 160 pounds with clothes and water on my back. It is very rare (fortunately getting less rare) for me to use the full travel on the fork. However, I always seem to be using all or most of the travel in the rear. Often I look at the indicator band and am surprised that what I just ride caused that much movement. Keep in mind that I never feel harsh bottom outs, I'm basing this only on the location of the rubber band.

My Bronson has a Super Deluxe R. No compression adjustment, just one rebound control (I believe that is LSR, but I'm not going to bet my life on that).

When I put the shockwiz on, I expected it to tell me to add some volume spacers and/or increase air pressure. Instead, I got just the opposite. The recommendations were to take spacers out, take air out, and make both HSC and LSC softer. I can't do anything about the compression, and I ended up take out about 10% of the air pressire (~160 down to ~145) before the wiz started telling me I was in the right range.

Either I'm missing something here or...I'm missing something here. If I take any tokens out (no idea how many are in there now, if any, it's the factory tune) and/or let any more air out, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be clanging into the end of the stroke all over the place. Yes, I need to do more than two rides with the wiz, but they were pretty substantial rides, so I think/hope that there is some value in the data. I'm pretty sure I've got it set up correctly, although I will admit the calibration was a bit of a chore. I will definitely re-calibrate before my next ride.

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if I just want to buy a new shock (such as the cane creek DB Air or the Fox DPX2/X2) that gives me more adjustment options.

Thanks.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
ColinFerguson wrote:
My friend and I decided to split a shockwiz. Between my bike, his bike, and bikes for both of our wives, we've got eight forks/shocks to tune. Plus I like to tinker, so it just kind of made sense.

My bike is a Santa Cruz Bronson 3, bought last August. Size large, I'm around 160 pounds with clothes and water on my back. It is very rare (fortunately getting less rare) for me to use the full travel on the fork. However, I always seem to be using all or most of the travel in the rear. Often I look at the indicator band and am surprised that what I just ride caused that much movement. Keep in mind that I never feel harsh bottom outs, I'm basing this only on the location of the rubber band.

My Bronson has a Super Deluxe R. No compression adjustment, just one rebound control (I believe that is LSR, but I'm not going to bet my life on that).

When I put the shockwiz on, I expected it to tell me to add some volume spacers and/or increase air pressure. Instead, I got just the opposite. The recommendations were to take spacers out, take air out, and make both HSC and LSC softer. I can't do anything about the compression, and I ended up take out about 10% of the air pressire (~160 down to ~145) before the wiz started telling me I was in the right range.

Either I'm missing something here or...I'm missing something here. If I take any tokens out (no idea how many are in there now, if any, it's the factory tune) and/or let any more air out, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be clanging into the end of the stroke all over the place. Yes, I need to do more than two rides with the wiz, but they were pretty substantial rides, so I think/hope that there is some value in the data. I'm pretty sure I've got it set up correctly, although I will admit the calibration was a bit of a chore. I will definitely re-calibrate before my next ride.

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if I just want to buy a new shock (such as the cane creek DB Air or the Fox DPX2/X2) that gives me more adjustment options.

Thanks.

What compression ratio did you end up with after calibrating it on your shock? Also, what setting did you use the shockwiz on? If you set it to aggressive it seems to want to use full travel at least a few times on every ride. Dont upgrade your shock just to get a good shockwiz score... I have a double barrel and a float x2 for my ride and the wiz showed HSC in the red for both shocks with no clicks/turns.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 12:26 Quote
tkm16 wrote:
What compression ratio did you end up with after calibrating it on your shock? Also, what setting did you use the shockwiz on? If you set it to aggressive it seems to want to use full travel at least a few times on every ride. Dont upgrade your shock just to get a good shockwiz score... I have a double barrel and a float x2 for my ride and the wiz showed HSC in the red for both shocks with no clicks/turns.

Thanks, that's good advice. I still find it out they said to take tokens out when I was clearly using all/most of the travel. Compression ratio came out to 2.1. I will definitely re-do the calibration before my next ride. One thing I found quite difficult was the requirement to compression at least 50% after putting the air back in (during calibration). That's nontrivial in the garage (especially on the fork). Could very well be that the measured compression ratio is not accurate.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
The requirement to compress the shock after setting the pressure is just to equalize the negative spring, this is more than likely to happen well before 50% anyway.
When calibrating the shockwiz make sure the fork or shock is fully extended with the wiz reporting 0 psi. You may have to pull the fork/shock up quite hard until the negative spring has equalised. I also found it useful to carry out the calibration a few times to make sure I get the same ratio over and over..

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
tkm16 wrote:
I also found it useful to carry out the calibration a few times to make sure I get the same ratio over and over..

Love that idea. I know what I'm doing tomorrow night!!

Thanks

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008900
Mobile Version of Website