Help me! Altitude vs Spectral vs Strive ?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help me! Altitude vs Spectral vs Strive ?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 5:07 Quote
I want a new bike, but have limited budget

Currently I'm looking at these models

a new Altitude alloy 30 (can get a 10% discount)
new Spectral al 5.0
or an used, one year old Strive al 5.0

My home trails are steep and rocky, and I want a bike that can handle the steeps, and mabye a day or two a year at a bikepark.

The geometry on all bikes are looking similar, the altitude beeing the slackest one by one deg. , and might be better at the steep stuff ?

The spec. on the Spectral looks god for the price, but I'm not sure about it's downhill performance?

And the old strive might already be a bit dated, compared to the others ?

My current bike is an 2011 lapierre spicy 216, so I guess all of these bikes would be an upgrade..

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 12:32 Quote
I went with a used 2014 RM Altitude 770 Rally with XTR brakes and drivetrain a few years ago and still very happy with my choice. Other than tires and a stick that took out a couple of spokes once, the bike has been mechanical flawless. My 1999 Element still rides great after 20 years of abuse. All I do is ride them, if very dirty, they get washed and have their drivetrain oiled. Shocks have never been serviced, but the Element needed a new rear when the Fox Float R developed a leaky seal and I couldn’t find replacement parts.

I don’t have any experience with Strive or Spectral, but a used top end bike that already has a scratch is usually a better deal than a brand new bike. Unless you want something that nobody else makes and can only be purchased new at full MSRP, then you are stuck with spending your hard earned $$. Just did that on my KTM 790R motorcycle, and very happy with that choice too. All I can say is WOW! The smile on my face when riding that beast is worth what I paid for her.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 14:56 Quote
Components wise, they're all almost identical.

If they're all the same price then get the RM.

I'd recommend saving up a bit more and get a build with better components.
Things like the brakes will cause you hassles as they're very low end.

The issue is, as the price goes up, the Canyon Spectral starts pulling ahead of the RM in terms of value for money, but you could get a nice discount to even it up.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
Rocky Mountain. Hands down.

They know how to build bikes that are so efficient you’re worried you forgot to turn off your climb switch. But tadaaaa, you don’t even need a climb switch!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008948
Mobile Version of Website