Light Enduro/XC crossover tires.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Light Enduro/XC crossover tires.
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 15:51 Quote
Trying to decide on tires for a new short travel ripper build, I've almost always put a priority on grip over weight/rolling resistance, especially since i've always owned long travel bikes that need it, but now that i'm adding a short travel bike to the quiver i want to keep it a bit lighter, knowing that i can always grab my enduro bike when i want to smash stuff and not care.

I definitely dont want "XC" tires, they need to be reasonably tough still and have good grip. they just dont need to be able to take recklessly smashing through rock gardens.

I was thinking a 2.4 EXO 3C DHR2 front (never run a DHR, but been wanting to try it in the front) and 2.3 EXO Aggressor rear.

its still on the heavy side of what i'd like to run, so if there's something out there that offers similar grip and strength that'd be awesome, i'm just not aware of whats out there.
Seems like theres some good options for light, 100 gram or so, inserts too, id consider running one in the rear.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 16:17 Quote
What type of conditions?

Most of what we ride is loose over hard or hard. Winter brings mud, but trails close when too muddy.

Been running 2.6 Rekon on the front with the 2.3 DHR2 on the rear. DHR2 is slow and recently switched to an Ardent Race and noticed a good bit better rolling, while sacrificing braking and corner grip. I am likely going 2.4 Rekon on the rear and possibly 2.6 Forekaster for the front for winter. I keep a few tires and swap them around depending on how I feel or what the weather dictates. Sometimes I just like to change things up. I really do not like how a 850+ gram tire feels up front, except maybe winter when speeds slow down.

O+
Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 16:27 Quote
gmoss wrote:
What type of conditions?

Most of what we ride is loose over hard or hard. Winter brings mud, but trails close when too muddy.

Been running 2.6 Rekon on the front with the 2.3 DHR2 on the rear. DHR2 is slow and recently switched to an Ardent Race and noticed a good bit better rolling, while sacrificing braking and corner grip. I am likely going 2.4 Rekon on the rear and possibly 2.6 Forekaster for the front for winter. I keep a few tires and swap them around depending on how I feel or what the weather dictates. Sometimes I just like to change things up. I really do not like how a 850+ gram tire feels up front, except maybe winter when speeds slow down.

For conditions usually loose over hard or loose and dusty.

ran ardents in the past and wouldnt want to try again. and yeah the way i ride i'm pretty easy on front tires, do a lot of popping the front up over stuff and keeping it light rather than plowing it. though i do lean on the front hard in corners, I need something with good cornering knobs and not a super flimsy sidewall.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 19:07 Quote
If you're really aggressive you may never be happy with a lighter tire, some other Trail/AM casing options:
Schwalbe Apex has some sidewall protection but is lighter than SG.
Specialized Grid is not too heavy.
Bontrager has different casing options too - Expert, Team Issue, SE. Here's a review of the 4 series:
https://nsmb.com/articles/bontrager-xr4-and-se4-team-issue-tires/

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 19:46 Quote
I keep trying to want something other than the Rekon 2.6 front, but it works so dang well compared to other tires I have ran. It is a 29 x 2.6. Very forgiving and I have not felt any flex all the way to 16 lbs. I weigh 215 lbs. I like to corner hard on my current bike and also ride the front light much of the time.

The DHR is good on the front, but not as forgiving as the Rekon. The 2.4 DHR cam on my HTLT, but I did not run them. Too heavy. I have also tried the Apex Nobby Nics, 2.35 rear, 2.6 front. To heavy and not near as good a feel on the trail.

I don't ride sharp rocks, but do deal with rocks and lots of roots.

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 9:47 Quote
I got a set of Bontrager XR4s for my bike recently and I love them. Way lighter and faster than the DHFs I was using

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 10:09 Quote
aerosxl wrote:
I got a set of Bontrager XR4s for my bike recently and I love them. Way lighter and faster than the DHFs I was using

Yeah those do seem like a good tire, under 800 grams for the 2.4. maybe a 2.6 front and 2.4 rear would be a good light combo.
Only thing i might not like is the pretty round profile for the rear.

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
mrsa0218 wrote:

Yeah those do seem like a good tire, under 800 grams for the 2.4. maybe a 2.6 front and 2.4 rear would be a good light combo.

I'm running 2.6 both front and rear. I've found the round profile to be better than the more square DHF, I think it gives more consistent grip when leaning and it's easier to know when the break point is

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 10:38 Quote
aerosxl wrote:
mrsa0218 wrote:

I'm running 2.6 both front and rear. I've found the round profile to be better than the more square DHF, I think it gives more consistent grip when leaning and it's easier to know when the break point is

Ok good to know, how about the ultimate grip on edge? guessing its going to be lower than a DHF, which i dont mind, just as long as its in that ballpark.

The XR5 looks like possibly a faster rolling minion, could be a good front tire, hmm

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
Some solid recommendations here.

For the front, good choices include:

Maxxis: Minion DHF / DHR
Bontrager: XR4 / XR5
Vittoria: Martello (not the lightest, but low rolling resistance)
Specialized: Butcher or Eliminator GRID.

Rear options could be:
Maxxis: Rekon
Bontrager: XR3
Vittoria: Barzo / Peyote (even the Mezcal)
Specialized: Eliminator or Purgatory
Kenda: Regolith or Nevegal2
Schwalbe: Rocket Ron
Continental: Mountain King

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Some solid recommendations here.

For the front, good choices include:

Maxxis: Minion DHF / DHR
Bontrager: XR4 / XR5
Vittoria: Martello (not the lightest, but low rolling resistance)
Specialized: Butcher or Eliminator GRID.

Rear options could be:
Maxxis: Rekon
Bontrager: XR3
Vittoria: Barzo / Peyote (even the Mezcal)
Specialized: Eliminator or Purgatory
Kenda: Regolith or Nevegal2
Schwalbe: Rocket Ron
Continental: Mountain King

I'm really leaning towards a 2.6 DHF or DHR front, and Rekon 2.4 rear (or 2.6 depending on how the actually measure)

thats 950ish grams for the front and around 750-850 for the rear depending on size/sidewall. still not exactly light, but compared to what im used to running, well over 1000 grams, its light. It'd be hard for me to go away from a front tire with some big grippy side lugs, if i've got confidence in the front end i can put up with a rear with a lower limit. Visually though the rekons side lugs look pretty substantial actually.

I am really liking the vitoria tires, they look really well designed, and get great reviews, hard to find a tire with the tread i want, but still light though. If i go away from Maxxis I think it'd be for vittoria.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
mrsa0218 wrote:
I'm really leaning towards a 2.6 DHF or DHR front, and Rekon 2.4 rear (or 2.6 depending on how the actually measure)

thats 950ish grams for the front and around 750-850 for the rear depending on size/sidewall. still not exactly light, but compared to what im used to running, well over 1000 grams, its light. It'd be hard for me to go away from a front tire with some big grippy side lugs, if i've got confidence in the front end i can put up with a rear with a lower limit. Visually though the rekons side lugs look pretty substantial actually.

I am really liking the vitoria tires, they look really well designed, and get great reviews, hard to find a tire with the tread i want, but still light though. If i go away from Maxxis I think it'd be for vittoria.

2.6" Minions have reduced lug height. Still great traction, but not quite the paddlewheel you may be expecting.

2.6" Rekon measures nearly true width on a sufficiently wide rim. 2.8" version had excellent traction when I tested it, so I would assume 2.6" is also impressive.

Vittoria measures true to width on a 35 mm rim, but the tread is rather narrow, making it better suited to a 30 mm rim. Nice feel and appears to have decent durability.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
I think the bonty xr5 front, xr4 rear combo would exactly fit that bill. Great tires, light, pretty tough, good grip and cheaper than most brands.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
My 2.6 Rekon on the front grips like a sumbitch most of the time. It is not the tire for aggressive riding in mud. Not what is was intended for. It will skid just a tad and catch if I go thru a small footprint of sandy from hardpack, say where a wash deposited a little sand a few feet long. For the most part, very confident tire if you ride anything dirt wise with some hold to it. Going from the 750g Rekon to a 950g NN, I was pushing corners wide. weight difference had my timing off and the NN did not grip as well, nor did it provide as good feedback. My 2.3 DHR worked better and is my 2nd best front at this point till I try something else. Also like the Forekaster up front in winter. May try the 2.6 Forekaster this winter instead of the 2.35.

I am getting ready to order and test a Rekon 2.4 rear. Will see how it goes.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
I think the bonty xr5 front, xr4 rear combo would exactly fit that bill. Great tires, light, pretty tough, good grip and cheaper than most brands.

where are you finding real weights on these tires?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009928
Mobile Version of Website