Stick or Twist - YT Jeffsy

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Stick or Twist - YT Jeffsy
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 1:12 Quote
Morning guys,

I've had my YT Jeffsy CF Comp 29er for two years now. I've made some nice modifications, 160mm Pike with a 51mm offset, dual position (great for climbing), offset rear bushings, Stans wheels plus a few other things and really enjoy it.

However, something is drawing me to towards a shiny 2019 model which is a little longer and slacker. I guess my question is, will I really notice the difference, especially compared to geometry changes I've made as a result of the above mods. Or will I just end up wanting to do the the same mods again?

Perhaps fitting a Cane Creek coil shock to my 2017 bike would be the best compromise. I couldn't afford to do this if I bought a new model.

Let me know what you you think... or have any experience moving from a 2017 to 2019 bike.

G

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 5:46 Quote
scz4 wrote:
Morning guys,

I've had my YT Jeffsy CF Comp 29er for two years now. I've made some nice modifications, 160mm Pike with a 51mm offset, dual position (great for climbing), offset rear bushings, Stans wheels plus a few other things and really enjoy it.

However, something is drawing me to towards a shiny 2019 model which is a little longer and slacker. I guess my question is, will I really notice the difference, especially compared to geometry changes I've made as a result of the above mods. Or will I just end up wanting to do the the same mods again?

Perhaps fitting a Cane Creek coil shock to my 2017 bike would be the best compromise. I couldn't afford to do this if I bought a new model.

Let me know what you you think... or have any experience moving from a 2017 to 2019 bike.

G

By all accounts the new bike isn't as fun as the old one, especially for the majority of UK riding.

I fitted a coil to my Jeffsy and I love it. Upgrading my brakes was money well spent too.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 8:03 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:

By all accounts the new bike isn't as fun as the old one, especially for the majority of UK riding.

I fitted a coil to my Jeffsy and I love it. Upgrading my brakes was money well spent too.

Thanks for the feedback, sound interesting.

Which coil did you go for? Can you lock it out for the climbs?

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 8:42 Quote
scz4 wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, sound interesting.

Which coil did you go for? Can you lock it out for the climbs?

I went for the Cane Creek in-line cool with climb switch. If the chip switch is in the “low” position, I’d say the climb switch is vital. In the “high” position, not so much.

I’ve also put a Luftkappe in the front fork.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
Stock shock? Absolutely swap, the Deluxe/Monarch is limiting. DVO Topaz is what I went with and it's a huge + affordable upgrade. Coil would also be awesome.

As the other guy said, Luftkappe or RS Debonair air spring upgrade vastly improves the small bump/mid stroke balance on the older Pikes.

I did the 160mm/offset bushings on my 2017 Jeffsy 27, really happy with the bike now, don't really feel the need for a new one. Might upgrade my Pike to a Fox 36 if I can find a deal for more stiffness up front.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Stock shock? Absolutely swap, the Deluxe/Monarch is limiting. DVO Topaz is what I went with and it's a huge + affordable upgrade. Coil would also be awesome.

As the other guy said, Luftkappe or RS Debonair air spring upgrade vastly improves the small bump/mid stroke balance on the older Pikes.

I did the 160mm/offset bushings on my 2017 Jeffsy 27, really happy with the bike now, don't really feel the need for a new one. Might upgrade my Pike to a Fox 36 if I can find a deal for more stiffness up front.

I've got a fox 36 160mm orange team factory fork (51mm offset) for sale. Here on pinkbike with only 40+ miles on it. i bought a used fox36 with a 44mm offset to try something else and now I still have this fork just sitting here lol.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2560275/

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
Yeah original shock, so either a DVO Topaz or Cane Creek Coil, I'll need to do some reading.

Same goes for the Luftkappe upgrade. Is this available on Dual Position forks. Think I'll be calling TFTuned shortly Smile

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 12:40 Quote
scz4 wrote:
Yeah original shock, so either a DVO Topaz or Cane Creek Coil, I'll need to do some reading.

Same goes for the Luftkappe upgrade. Is this available on Dual Position forks. Think I'll be calling TFTuned shortly Smile

If they can’t do the Luftkappe, then they may be able to fit the Debonair.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 15:13 Quote
I'm fairly certain that for dual position forks the only thing you can do is coil conversion and obviously damper stuff. I believe that the threads for the air top cap are different between the dual position forks and the normal ones, so I think if you're ambitious you might be able to get a top cap machined that would work with a standard debonair air shaft.

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 at 1:41 Quote
Well I had decided to stick, until I saw £700 off a Pro Race 29er this weekend.....decisions decisions...

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019384
Mobile Version of Website